Needed Immediately: Academic Advising Specialist - Hunter College (3653 hits)
As a University, we strive to respect differences, but more importantly, we seek to leverage the talents of all members of the University community in order to foster academic and administrative excellence. These values make The City University of New York a great place to learn and to work!
Job Title: Academic Advising Specialist - Office of Advising Services, Division of Student Affairs
Job ID: 5421
Location: Hunter College
Administers an academic advising center or unit.
- Collaborates with other academic and administrative offices to maintain a comprehensive academic advisement program
- Ensures students are provided with consistent, accurate, and prompt advising services, coordinating with academic departments
- Works with students to resolve academic issues, providing information and/or referral
- Develops orientation programs to engage and retain students and instructs students, faculty and staff on use of advising technologies
- Conducts assessments to strengthen advisement programs
- Organizes and facilitates training for faculty advisors
- Develops print and online communication materials
- May supervise office operations and budget
- Performs related duties as assigned.
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
Reporting to the Academic Advising Manager in charge of first year advising and orientation, the Academic Advising Specialist will participate in the creation, leadership, and implementation of all programs and services designed for first year students. The Specialist will also lead the office in the absence of the Manager.
- Utilizes CRM software to maintain coherent communications with first-year students.
- Aids in the strategic planning for first year programs, considering new ways to improve student success and satisfaction.
- Utilize research and theory related to student development and retention in the design of policies, procedures and initiatives to promote transfer student success.
- Assists in the planning, coordination, and execution of new student orientation and related transition events.
- Provide developmental academic advising to a first year student caseload.
- Advise students in large advising outreach programs (orientation for first years, transfers, etc.).
- Develop resources to support first year student success.
- Participate in providing developmental academic advising for all students on a drop-in and appointment basis.