Survey Research Manager
This position provides administrative and scientific management and leadership to the Kaiser Permanente Washington Health Research Institute's Survey Research Program (SRP). The Survey Research Program manager will oversee all phases of survey research including: managing the SRP staff, designing and implementing data collection activities, providing survey methods consultation to researchers and research project teams, preparing administrative and project related reports, assisting with development of proposals and survey budget proposals. The position would be responsible for exploring growth opportunities for the SRP both in terms of technological and service expansion.
• Directs and manages the administrative and programmatic resources of the Survey Research Program (SRP). Oversees the implementation of systems, polices and procedures that assist SRP staff in completing a scope of work on time and within budget. Develops and manages SRP's core budget and prepares resource requests. Determines survey costs and collaborates with researchers, research project teams, and administration to help manage multi-million dollar contracts and grant funded research projects. Hires, trains and supervises SRP staff. Sets performance expectations, and develops and mentors SRP staff. Directs multiple projects, assigns activities and tasks and monitors progress. Oversees the analysis, design and development work done by staff to ensure the implementation of the best and most cost effective data collection methods. Provides a framework for a daily management system within SRP and coaches staff to apply continuous improvement in services and processes within SRP.
• Provides leadership in designing and conducting research projects in the area of survey design and methodology by directing the design and development of survey protocols to ensure data quality and scientific integrity, and by providing expertise and consultative services in applied research (e.g. survey design and data collection, administration and analysis, etc.), and methodological concepts (e.g. non-response bias, response rates, validation, reliability, statistical weighting). Participates in the publication and presentation of research papers at national meetings where appropriate. Collaborates and oversees implementation of technological applications such as web-based assessments. Models new and innovative survey data collection methods and technologies.
• Initiates strategic planning and goal setting in the area of future survey program emphasis, administrative structure, technology needs and growth. Seeks grant funding where appropriate. Responsible for seeking out collaborative research opportunities, initiating contacts with potential funders, and responding to requests for proposals.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications. To learn more about Kaiser Permanente and apply for this position, visit https://www.kaiserpermanentejobs.org/ and reference job number 718761.
Qualifications & Requirements Experience
• Minimum five (5) years of relevant managerial work experience in a survey program or department or a data collection unit.
• Master's degree OR six (6) years of experience in a directly related field.
• High School Diploma OR General Education Development (GED) is required.
License, Certification, Registration
• Experience specific to implementation of human biomedical research required, including knowledge of survey research design and methodology.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills with a focus on customer service and diplomacy.
• Superior organizational, interpersonal and supervisory skills.
• Familiarity with survey research involving multi-language and hard-to-reach populations, sensitive topics, and embedded experiments and complex flow patterns.
• Extensive knowledge of research methods and design.
• Ability to perform multiple tasks with a high level of accuracy and attention to detail and deadlines.
• Ability to set priorities and manage time effectively and ability to work with all levels of staff, clinicians, researchers and the public in a respectful and supportive manner.
• Must be able to demonstrate and apply relevant federal, state, and organizational .regulations to the work of the Survey Research Program.
• Seven (7) years of progressive experience as a manager or director of a survey research program with significant content knowledge in the fields of survey research, epidemiology and health services research, measurement, psychometrics, statistics or related field.
• Seven (7) years of progressive experience specific to implementation of human biomedical research, including knowledge of survey research design and methodology.
• Ph.D. with a concentration in social sciences, epidemiology, health services, biomedical, or biobehaviorial background.
Interested applicants should include a cover letter that addresses the following key points: 1) expertise and experience related to the qualifications, desirable skills, and abilities described in the job announcement; 2) experience managing and directing survey project teams or programs; 3) HR/Personnel and management experience to date; & 4) why the applicant would be a good match with the Institute’s mission, vision and values. Application review will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Kaiser Permanente Washington Health Research Institute (KPWHRI) is an internationally recognized academic research organization that conducts non-proprietary research, primarily through federally funded grants and contracts that total over $50 million annually. KPWHRI’s scientific faculty consists of doctorate-level investigators trained in medicine, epidemiology, behavioral science, economics, and biostatistics. KPWHRI’s programmatic research areas include cancer prevention, pharmacoepidemiology, immunizations, behavioral medicine, women's health, and aging. KPWHRI is part of a vibrant research community in Seattle, including the University of Washington and Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, among others. The Kaiser Permanente Washington Health Research Institute is affiliated with Kaiser Permanente, a non-profit integrated health care system. Founded in 1945, Kaiser Permanente is recognized as one of America’s leading health care providers and not-for-profit health plans. We currently serve 11.8 million members in eight states and the District of Columbia. Kaiser Permanente is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer.