Graduate Assistant Program Intern
Position: Graduate Assistant Program Intern
Reports to: Senior Program Coordinator for Curriculum and Student Events
Start Date: September 2018
We are looking for an exceptional Graduate Assistant Program Intern to assist the Curriculum and Student Events department in managing and developing Opportunity Network (OppNet) virtual learning curriculum and supporting the OppNet Fellows Program. This is an exciting year-long opportunity for a graduate student interested in being part of an innovative college and career success program serving high school and college students across the country.
Founded in 2003, The Opportunity Network works with students from historically and systemically underrepresented communities in developing their skills, knowledge, and passions to achieve their college and career goals. We honor the identities and embrace the power of each member of our community.
OppNet believes networks of support are essential ingredients for success, so we take an innovative approach by underscoring the power of personal connections and professional relationships as vital complements to skills, passions, aptitude, and work experience. Our students thrive in college and careers as they master personal, college and career competencies through OppNet’s Career Fluency® programming, including building networks, mobilizing social capital, increasing career awareness, practicing self-care, excelling in internships, and making “best fit” college choices through intensive college counseling.
The ideal candidate will personally connect to the important work we do and value diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) across the organization. The candidate will demonstrate DEI values by actively participating in all organizational-wide learning sessions and self-reflection, as well as working with others to enact changes that contribute to meeting the organization’s anti-racist and anti-oppressive goals. The candidate should possess outstanding professionalism and discretion, organizational skills and attention to detail, energy and initiative, the ability to prioritize and complete a variety of tasks on time, and a willingness to work on a wide range of assignments and collaborate with staff members across program areas.
The Graduate Assistant Program Intern’s primary responsibilities will be to:
● Support the development and continual improvement of virtual learning curriculum for OppNet College Fellows in accordance with OppNet’s mission and pedagogy
● Prepare and gather all necessary materials for workshops and professional development sessions with staff and students
● Work creatively to develop new strategies and curriculum content for Fellows Program, particularly for College Success
● Propose and implement creative ways to engage college students to virtual learning
● Transfer OppNet curriculum to virtual platform to increase the accessibility of materials and content
● Assist OppNet staff members with all other duties related to effective program implementation, including: filing, copying, logistical support, and other administrative tasks.
Qualifications & Requirements Requirements
The position requires your availability for 15-20 hours during the week. The Graduate Assistant Program Intern will report to the Senior Program Coordinator for Curriculum and Student Events. The ideal candidate will have these key assets and attributes:
● Strong written and verbal communication skills;
● Experience with curriculum development, preferably for students in high school or college
● Experience working with students in high school or college
● Strong skills in using Microsoft Office and PowerPoint, experience with video editing a plus;
● Strong research skills and ability to synthesize findings;
● Strong organizational skills;
● Ability to take initiative;
● Commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion work in education;
● Detail-oriented, can be counted on to produce high-quality work; and
● High degree of effectiveness and efficiency - gets things done!
$18-20/hour, commensurate with experience.
Please send your cover letter and current resume to email@example.com by August 31, 2018.