Executes more complex tasks related to internal audit programs throughout the company or business
segments for soundness, compliance, cost effectiveness and risk to ensure the integrity of business operations,
management information systems, financial controls, and records. Responsible for completing operational and
general IT activities in a timely manner. May also manage individual operational and IT general projects from
beginning to end, including the performance of staff on the project.
Reporting Relationships: Reports to Audit Director/Audit Officer
Core Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Participate in leading project teams of audit professionals and provide coaching and development
2. Complete internal audits and consultative project objectives with an applied knowledge of auditing
3. Participate and/or facilitate client meetings to understand processes within scope of the audit objectives.
4. Develop a risk/control matrix based on individual project needs.
5. Accurately and independently evaluate and document the design and effectiveness of internal controls.
6. Participate in the completion and review/approval of internal controls work documented by audit staff.
7. Identify control gaps and collaborate with client management to develop issue mitigation plans.
8. Participate in the creation of audit reports.
9. Independently perform follow-up and validation of issue mitigation efforts.
10. Responsive to client requests and develops/maintains productive working relationships with client
11. Serve as a trusted business advisor to clients, internal risk partners, and other stakeholders.
12. Perform work in accordance with the Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA) Standards and departmental
policies and procedures.
13. Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Requirements Typical Skills and Experiences:
Education: Bachelorís degree in business, technical, or related field preferred
License/Certification/Designation: Relevant certifications (e.g., CPA, CIA, CISA, CFE, PMP) or progress toward
becoming certified desired.
Experience: 4-7 years of progressive experience in audit, risk management, or a related field. Experience in the
insurance and financial services industry is preferred.
Knowledge: Applied knowledge in audit, business and IT general concepts and theory. Must have an operational
knowledge and application of audit practices to multiple functional areas. Must have knowledge of project
management and motivational theory.
Skills/Competencies: Must have strong business acumen knowledge. Must have critical thinking and decisionmaking
skills for problem and/or enhancement identification and solution recommendation. Must have effective
oral and written communication skills. Must have strong collaboration and team work skills to function in a team
environment and work on multiple projects at a time. Must have strong organizational and time management
skills to prioritize multiple tasks and execute audit objectives timely. Must possess leadership skills to interact
effectively motivate and influence. Must possess good coaching and consulting skills. Must possess management
skills to lead a project team and drive a project to successful completion.
Staffing exceptions to the above must be approved by the hiring managerís leader and HR Business Partner.
Values: Regularly and consistently demonstrates the Nationwide Values and Guiding Behaviors.
Overtime Eligibility: Not Eligible (Exempt)
Working Conditions: Normal office environment. Extended and non-standard work hours based on project and
ADA: The above statements cover what are generally believed to be principal and essential functions of this
job. Specific circumstances may allow or require some people assigned to the job to perform a somewhat
different combination of duties.
Credit Check: Due to the fiduciary accountabilities within this job, a valid credit check
and/or background check will be required as part of the selection process