Administrative and Support Services, Advertising/Marketing/Public Relations, Engineering
Are you an innovator? Are you passionate about new innovations? Are you excited to uncover the next big thing? Are you just as excited when an idea fails? Are you amazed at how terrible some products and experiences are? Do you see opportunities for innovation all over the place? Do you love to look at new products and see what could actually help people? Do you love talking to people and better understanding what will and won’t work for them? Are you intrigued by new business models that keep popping up every day? Do you enjoy asking random people questions that have the potential to lead to “ah-ha” moments? Do you have conversations with colleagues about a new startup or a new technology and why it’s awesome or terrible? If you answered, “YES!” to all of these questions, we want you to join the Innovation @ Nationwide group.
We're seeking Innovation Consultants to join our team!
Summary: Role is part of multidisciplinary innovation “pod” or team designed to create, design, prototype, and launch products, services, experiences, and even businesses that disrupt the insurance and financial services industry. An instrumental member of the team that works throughout the innovation process from exploration to conceptual design; to detailed design, to develop and build, then launch. Often works in partnership with teams throughout the company.
Engages directly with users, and works to uncover key unmet needs and develops solutions to meet these needs, solving for big customer problems. Brings these “member centric” solutions to market often in partnership with teams throughout the company.
Ensures that the innovation lies at the intersection of the Customer (“desirability”), Technology (“feasibility”), and the Business (“viability”). Collaborates with the designer and researcher to assess desirability. Partners with technologists to assess feasibility; and works with business lead to look at viability. Brings all pieces together into the right solution for the right needs.
Reporting Relationships: Reports to Innovation Director, no direct reports.
Core Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Member of the pod, where collaboration with product managers, designers, researchers, technologists, and business/finance leads to the best outcome
2. Assists leader with project management for the innovation pod, working with multi-disciplinary team with skillsets across all aspects of the value chain and innovation process
3. Understands that failure is part of the innovation process. Institutionalizes learning from productive failures
4. Utilizes and encourages a startup or entrepreneurial mind set
5. Collaborates seamlessly and successfully throughout the organization with support areas such marketing, sales, public relations, legal and compliance, as well as other groups
1. Participates in user-driven innovation process (aka “design thinking”)
2. Helps to translate consumer and end-user needs into products, services, experiences, and businesses that solves needs and creates value
3. Supports and participates in rapid prototyping of ideas and solutions directly with consumers and customers, and iterates aggressively to arrive at solutions that exceed customer expectations and creates new value and points of differentiation.
4. Understands and represents the voice of the user (“the who”), clearly defines the right problems to solve (“the what”) and ensures the right end-to-end solutions to solve them (“the how”)
1. Keeps a pulse on industry movement and activities, and remains on top of key trends within insurance, financial services, startups and technology companies.
2. Anticipates where relevant companies, trends, and technologies might be going and informs strategies.
3. Performs other duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Requirements Education: Undergraduate studies in business, marketing, product or engineering. MBA preferred.
Experience: Minimum of 5 years of product management experience, ideally with new digital products for consumers or businesses (big and/or small).
Knowledge: Innovation experience developing, managing and implementing new products.
Experience working in an innovation group within a larger company, consulting firm or for an innovative product company. Experience with primary consumer research, time “in the field”, market research, and translation of insights uncovered into ideas, concepts, and products. Experience with PowerPoint and presentation creation; proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
Skills/Competencies: Design thinking skills / user-centered design expertise a must. Strong analytical skills. Natural curiosity about people and customers. Excellent verbal and written communications skills. Ability to prioritize and manage multiple, parallel projects and decisions to deadline in a cross-functional team environment. Ability to work across multiple methodologies, including agile, scrum, waterfall, and hybrids.
Other criteria, including leadership skills, competencies and experiences may take precedence.
Staffing exceptions to the above must be approved by the hiring manager’s leader and HR Business Partner.
Values: Regularly and consistently demonstrates the Nationwide Values and Guiding Behaviors.
Overtime Eligibility: Exempt (Not Eligible)
Working Conditions: Up to 25% travel will be required to be “in the field” engaging directly with our members.
ADA: The above statements cover what are generally believed to be principal and essential functions of this job. Specific circumstances may allow or require some people assigned to the job to perform a somewhat different combination of duties.
Job Family/Function: MKG/INN
Evaluation Activity: EMH 11/2017
Nationwide, a Fortune 100 company based in Columbus, Ohio, is one of the largest and strongest diversified insurance and financial services organizations in the U.S. and is rated A+ by both A.M. Best and Standard & Poor’s. The company provides a full range of insurance and financial services, including auto, commercial, homeowners, farm and life insurance; public and private sector retirement plans, annuities and mutual funds; banking and mortgages; excess & surplus, specialty and surety; pet, motorcycle and boat insurance. Visit www.nationwide.com to apply online for job number 49854.