Counsel-Personal Lines Product Team
This role is part of the Personal Lines Product Legal Team and will support Staff Personal Lines Product and Pricing business units for all product lines (auto, home, etc). Responsibilities include legal support for countrywide program management and new product development, including usage based and telematics insurance programs.
Summary: Provides expert advice and counsel on complex legal matters in an area of responsibility or specialized legal area focusing on relationships with senior level OCLO and business leaders with minimal supervision. Creates valuable risk management recommendations by leveraging sound risk assessment information and actively identifying and logically assessing potential legal risks in ambiguous, unique and/or complex business situations which have potential for significant impact to the company. Recognized by key business partners for expertise and business acumen. May have supervisory responsibility for a small group of legal resources.
Reporting Relationships: May report to VP / AVP / Managing Counsel. May have supervisory responsibility for a small group of legal resources within an area of law. Typically has fewer than 3 direct reports.
Core Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Provides expert advice on routine and complex legal matters in an area of responsibility. Regularly attends business partner meetings to better understand business processes and needs.
2. Actively identifies and logically assesses potential legal risks in both routine and ambiguous, unique and/or complex business situations. Creates valuable risk management/mitigation recommendations leveraging sound risk assessment information to further achieve complex business objectives. Drafts necessary legal documents and develops conclusions and recommendations.
3. Assists business partners in addressing situations of high legal exposure or risk; understands overall business risk tolerance and considers it in the context of risk management strategies and actions. Has some input into or influence on Company decision-making.
4. Creates practical and effective solutions to complex legal issues with no established precedent; develops creative solutions to unique legal problems. May interact with persons outside of the Company on behalf of the organization.
5. At times, may take the lead role in matters that are complex, strategic or sensitive in nature. Understands the business partner's position and needs. Keeps senior leaders informed of case law and new legislation, as appropriate. Considers the long-term business and strategic consequences of possible outcomes. Delivers difficult messages or news, and challenges business partners when necessary; responds to challenges to advice and counsel directly and effectively.
6. Has a wide network of established relationships with associates at all levels within the OCLO and primarily mid-level and some senior level business partners.
7. Works independently and may lead virtual and/or formal teams on multiple complex group/client assignments. May have management responsibility for a small group of legal resources.
8. Occasionally leads virtual teams on tasks, projects or assignments. May train or mentor less experienced attorneys or paralegals on procedural, business or legal issues.
9. Performs other duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Requirements Education: JD degree from an accredited law school. Maintains an active license in the state in which the position is located.
License/Certification/Designation: Currently licensed as an attorney in an appropriate U.S. jurisdiction.
Experience: Developed legal expertise and business acumen recognized by key business partners. Typically has six or more years of relevant legal experience.
Knowledge: Has solid experience with or knowledge of an area of law; complex legal practices and procedures. Considered the subject matter expert regarding a specific product, service or specialty (employment, finance, regulatory, real estate, securities, tax, etc.). Sound business acumen and knowledge of the business goals and objectives as they relate to the matter at hand.
Skills/Competencies: Strong oral and written communication skills for interacting with mid-level and some senior level OCLO associates and business partners. Analytical ability to interpret statutes, regulations, insurance policies and other contracts. Decision-making ability to set work priorities and make recommendations. Ability to initiate, organize and coordinate complex projects and/or cases that cross functional or business lines. Takes the lead role in negotiations that are complex, strategic or sensitive in nature. Supervisory skills helpful.
Other criteria, including leadership skills, competencies and experiences may take precedence.
Staffing exceptions to the above must be approved by the hiring managerís leader and HR Business Partner.
Values: Regularly and consistently demonstrates the Nationwide Values and Guiding Behaviors.
Working Conditions: Normal office environment. Occasional travel.
ADA: The above statements cover what are generally believed to be principal and essential functions of this job. Specific circumstances may allow or require some people assigned to the job to perform a somewhat different combination of duties.
Credit Check: Due to the fiduciary accountabilities of this job, a valid credit check and/or background which will be requires as part of the selection process.
Job Family/Function: LEG / CON