Communication and Event Specialist
ETSU is currently accepting applications for the position of Communication and Event Specialist in the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs Administration (ORSPA). Responsible to the Assistant Vice President for Research/ORSPA Director, the Communication and Event Specialist (Specialist) organizes and executes a broad range of event, outreach, and communication activities and supports the Director in carrying out analysis and reporting functions. The Specialist plans, coordinates, and runs event and outreach activities from inception to completion; develops and implements communication strategies across an array of media; and collects and organizes data and other information for analytic and reporting purposes. This position is a key member of the University's research administrative team.
• Develops cordial working relationships with faculty, staff, students, and external constituents.
◦ Plans, coordinates and runs event and outreach activities (collectively ‘events’) including but not limited to: working independently and in partnership with internal and external stakeholders to determine logistics and prepare for events; serving as point person and liaising with internal and external entities on event-related matters; overseeing all aspects of the Appalachian Student Research Forum (ASRF) including organizing and facilitating meetings for, and supporting the work of, the ASRF Advisory Committee; coordinating outreach and event scheduling, and maintaining an ORSPA calendar of events; establishing and adhering to event production and promotion timelines; and closing out all events, including surveying participants and evaluating outcomes in order to improve event programming, planning, and implementation processes.
◦ Develops and implements communication strategies across an array of media including but not limited to: employing versatile design and journalistic skills to generate compelling print and digital content; creating and disseminating print materials and digital content such as brochures, event announcements, invitations, programs and signage, and website and social media content; scheduling, tracking, and prioritizing communication projects; developing and implementing marketing and social media plans for events; maintaining media and publication archives; working collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders to gather and refine curriculum materials to support programming (e.g., workshops); and identifying, evaluating, and employing digital technologies to assess and optimize user experiences across the full range of ORSPA communication platforms.
◦ Supports the Director in carrying out analysis and reporting functions including but not limited to: collecting and organizing data and other information from appropriate sources both in- and out- side of the university for the purposes of analysis against metrics including performance, research outcomes and successes; and transforming data and other information into easy-to-understand graphics and narratives for public consumption such as the ORSPA Annual Report.
Note: This position profile identifies the key responsibilities and expectations for performance. It cannot encompass all specific job tasks that an employee may be required to perform. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and perform job-related duties as may be reasonably assigned by his/her supervisor.
Qualifications & Requirements Education and Experience
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor's degree in multimedia, journalism, communications, business and technology, or related field; one year of relevant work experience, preferably in an academic research setting; exceptional oral and written communication, editing, and proofreading skills; outstanding interpersonal and customer service skills with a proven ability to establish and maintain professional working relationships with internal and external stakeholders; proven ability to work independently and accountably, and accept responsibility for quality of work; proven ability to work as part of a team, promoting cooperation and mutual support to achieve goals; discretion in handling confidential information; strong analytical and innovative problem-solving skills; excellent time management and organizational skills with a proven ability to prioritize and manage competing, time-sensitive deadlines and produce work with a high level of accuracy; strong project management skills and ability to deploy and manage resources effectively; comprehensive knowledge of website content management systems and best practices in web design including navigation, information architecture, usability and standards (i.e., Section 508 and W3C), and quality assurance processes; command of the Microsoft and Adobe suites of software with evidence of creative production skills in print and digital content; strong familiarity with social media platforms and experience developing targeted e-communication pieces; solid record of successfully planning and managing projects, events, and associated logistics.
Preferred Qualifications: Working knowledge of contemporary digital-journalistic tools, including image, video, and audio editing software, along with the ability to use or learn to use new multimedia technologies; experience utilizing survey and social and digital tools to assess and continually improve processes and outcomes.
Salary commensurate with knowledge, skills and qualifications. To apply, please visit: http://jobs.etsu.edu/postings/11377. Application deadline is September 20, 2018.
East Tennessee State University (ETSU) is a regional state-supported institution serving approximately 13,400 students yearly, and is located in a beautiful, prosperous, Southern Appalachian Mountain community. The northeast corner of Tennessee, which surrounds Johnson City is metropolitan in population but provides a friendly, small town atmosphere. The area abounds in scenic beauty and in places of historical interest.
Expectations for All Employees
East Tennessee State University pursues its mission based upon core values. An employee's job performance must support and exhibit the university's core values:
- PEOPLE come first, are treated with dignity and respect, and are encouraged to achieve their full potential;
- RELATIONSHIPS are built on honesty, integrity and trust;
- DIVERSITY of people and thought is respected;
- EXCELLENCE is achieved through teamwork, leadership, creativity, and a strong work ethic;
- EFFICIENCY is achieved through wise use of human and financial resources; and
- COMMITMENT to intellectual achievement is embraced.
East Tennessee State University is an AA/EEO employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its programs and activities.