Job Title: Faculty of Biblical Studies/Theology (F492)
Azusa, CA United States
Education and Library
Faculty of Biblical Studies/Theology (F492)
Azusa Pacific University is a comprehensive, evangelical, Christian university located 26 miles northeast of Los Angeles, California. A leader in the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities, APU is committed to excellence in higher education. Offering over 80 bachelorís, masterís and doctoral programs on campus, online, and at seven regional centers across Southern California, APU has been recognized as one of U.S.News & World Report's Best Colleges for seven years running.
Position Title: Assistant/Associate Professor of Biblical Studies/Theology
Position Tracking Number: F492
School/College: Azusa Pacific Seminary
Department: Biblical and Theological Studies
Location: Azusa/San Diego
This position is in Azusa Pacific Seminary (APS) and begins in 2019/2020. This position requires the ability to teach seminary courses in biblical studies and/or theology for both Spanish and English-speaking students. Teaching may include MA/MDIV/DMIN courses. This position may include administrative units (e.g., student services, advisement, recruitment, etc.) APU is an institution of higher education with a tradition in Wesleyan evangelical Christianity. Applications from members of underrepresented groups are encouraged.
Biblical scholar, theologian or church historian with an ability to engage students in advanced study in the various sub-disciplines of biblical and theological studies.
* Teaching: 16-20 units
* Research: 4 units
* Administration: 0-4 units
Level: Assistant/Associate Professor
Qualifications: Ph.D., Th.D., or D.Phil. in Biblical Studies or Theology; Bilingual in English and Spanish
Experience: Seminary teaching experience preferred. Pastoral experience in a Wesleyan Church preferred
Workload: Full-time faculty position
Hire Date: Open until filled.
* Higher education-level teaching experience and a Ph.D., Th.D, or D.Phil in Biblical Studies or Theology by the time of appointment.
* A deep commitment to the Wesleyan theological perspective and ability to encourage dialogue with and within the Wesleyan theological tradition.
* An understanding of the needs of churches and APS role in preparing leaders to meet these needs.
* A commitment to the importance of women, multiple ethnicities and cultures in leadership in the academy and church.
* Biblical Studies candidates should be familiar with the inductive method of exegesis and biblical interpretation, expertise in critical methodologies of interpretation, skill in Hebrew and Greek.
* A record of publication and research.
* Ability to integrate Christian values in all aspects.
* Ability to engage in critical thinking and exercise independent judgment.
* Ability to maintain confidentiality and manage confidential information.
* Ability to collaborate with other faculty and staff and maintain collegial relations.
* Self-starter, ability to communicate effectively in written and oral form.
Candidates must align with Azusa Pacific University's Christian identity. Faculty members are expected to sign a Statement of Faith (available at http://www.apu.edu/about/believe), to adhere to the policies outlined in the Faculty Handbook, and to integrate the Christian faith in teaching and scholarship.
Azusa Pacific University is a Christ-centered, multicultural community that values and seeks faculty and staff who are committed to diversity, work effectively with diverse populations, and engage others in ways that honor our rich cultural mosaic and biblical foundation.
Azusa Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Azusa Pacific University conducts background checks on all final candidates.
To apply, visit http://www.apu.edu/cp/employment/. Review of applications will begin immediately, and the position will remain open until filled.
Qualifications & Requirements Please see job description