Job Title: ENERGY MANAGEMENT ASSOCIATE AND/OR ENERGY PROJECT MANAGER
POAH (Preservation of Affordable Housing)
Boston, MA United States
Nonprofit and Volunteer Services
ENERGY MANAGEMENT ASSOCIATE AND/OR ENERGY PROJECT MANAGER
Preservation of Affordable Housing, Inc. (POAH)
Position available: immediately
Application deadline: open until filled
Preservation of Affordable Housing, Inc. (POAH) is, as its name implies, a non-profit organization committed to preserving “at risk” affordable rental housing around the country. Based in Boston, with branch offices in Chicago and Washington D.C., POAH is a growing entrepreneurial organization which currently owns and manages approximately 10,000 affordable rental homes for low-income families and seniors in ten states and the District of Columbia. On average, resident incomes in POAH communities are only 30% of area median incomes.
POAH’s reach is national in scope, and its pursuit of the preservation mission is empowered by a focus on the business bottom line. Its strong reputation has resulted from a demonstrated ability to craft complex financial transactions, tackle tough multi-family projects, and close deals that preserve the affordability of ‘at risk’ properties. The organization and its leaders are at the forefront of policy and legislative discussions around housing preservation, affordable housing finance and regulatory reform, including energy efficiency in the multifamily sector.
About the opportunity:
POAH is seeking a Boston-based Energy Management Associate and/or Energy Project Manager (may hire 1 or 2 staff) to work within its Ownership & Operations department, collaborating with design and building performance, asset management, property management, development, and maintenance staff. The Ownership & Operations department is responsible for monitoring POAH’s long-term owner interests and focuses on maintaining a healthy portfolio of housing communities by executing on financial, physical and policy opportunities for stewarding the portfolio. The new hire(s) will work on POAH’s Design and Building Performance team lead by Julie Klump which focuses on energy projects, design and construction standards, preventative maintenance stewardship, leveraging information technology to improve portfolio oversight, etc.
Some of the Associate’s (and/or Manager’s) specific and essential tasks may include:
• Review portfolio properties' energy usage and cost to identify opportunities, recommend interventions, source energy project funding and complete new energy projects across the portfolio
• Analyze utility usage after renovations and significant upgrades expected to save energy and/or water, comparing to projections and/or historical usage at properties and share observations and lessons learned (if any) with property management, asset management and development teams.
• Track and manage data regarding POAH's carbon footprint, utility usage, fuel sources, energy consumption, contracts and expense.
• Monitor performance against Big Reach and Better Buildings Challenge goals.
• Support the implementation of portfolio-wide energy efficiency upgrades, conservation strategies and installation of renewable energy source options.
• Evaluate the benefits of master metering, sub-metering or other consumption tracking and/or billing options.
• Research and pursue incentives available from utilities, regulatory agencies or other organizations.
• Serve as the project manager for identification, implementation and closeout of capital projects sourced by energy loans, grants and/or POAH discretionary funds.
• Consult with real estate development staff during the due diligence and pre-development stages of property acquisitions to provide utility cost analytics.
• Work with property management staff on operations and maintenance initiatives to target utility savings.
• Support resident services and other staff on resident energy and building component education initiatives.
• Oversee compliance with municipal data utility reporting requirements, where applicable.
• Represent POAH nationally as an advocate for green stewardship of multifamily affordable housing.
• Perform other duties as directed by the VP of Design & Building Performance.
Qualifications & Requirements Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
Candidates for the Associate position should possess 1 to 4 years of relevant experience (Manager 5+ years of experience) and knowledge in some or all of the following areas:
• B.A. or B.S. required - with emphasis on energy management, environmental studies, building science, or related field. Graduate degree or equivalent work experience in engineering, environmental science or related field helpful.
• Experience working with energy data to identify consumption trends, anomalies and opportunities to improve a building’s performance
• Experience competing for energy funds and coordinating / project managing energy project installations.
• Familiarity with energy and climate change issues with capacity in one or more of the following areas: energy conservation, energy efficiency, energy consuming equipment, load management, renewable power generation and energy policy.
• Demonstrated proficiency with computers (including intermediate or better Excel and PowerPoint skills), energy systems/software analytics.
• Manage a project or tasks independently with scrupulous attention to detail.
• Prepare written summaries and briefings of assigned tasks for internal and external dissemination;
• Communicate effectively in person and in writing and create convincing presentations using PowerPoint, excel charts, excel pivot tables, and other tools;
• Travel: Willingness to travel as necessary to work with property staff, vendors and government agencies at their respective places of business throughout the United States is expected.
Salaries are competitive and commensurate with experience.
Interested individuals should send a resume with a thoughtful cover letter to email@example.com as soon as possible.
POAH is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply.