Communications Dispatcher - Campus Safety (S1156)
Azusa Pacific University is a comprehensive, evangelical, Christian university located 26 miles northeast of Los Angeles, California. A leader in the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities, APU is committed to excellence in higher education. Offering over 80 bachelors, masters and doctoral programs on campus, online, and at seven regional centers across Southern California, APU has been recognized as one of U.S.News & World Report's Best Colleges for seven years running. The university provides outstanding opportunities for staff in advancement, professional growth, and Christian ministry. APU seeks staff who model excellence in their discipline and have a clear and compelling understanding of their faith and Christian commitment.
For staff positions, please apply directly at: http://apustaffjobs.silkroad.com
The University Communications Dispatcher serves to provide communication support to the officers that are on shift and the larger APU community, including students, faculty/staff and guests. Must have the ability to receive, prioritize and respond to routine and emergency incoming telephone and voice radio calls as they relate to Campus Safety, emergency personnel, fire and medical assistance. Independently receives, evaluates, prioritizes and disseminates calls from employees, other agencies and the public through voice radio and telephone for technical, routine and emergencies. Operates a wide variety of highly specialized computer equipment and programs such as CAD (Computer Aided Dispatch) and a state of the art camera tracking system.
* High school diploma.
* Associateís Degree (AA) or equivalent from two year college or technical school or six months to one year related experience and/or training or equivalent combination of education and experience.
* Must have no criminal record.
* Must possess a current CA driverís license.
* Previous college and/or university campus safety/security/law enforcement experience preferred or equivalent on the job experience.
* Must have knowledge Dispatch Center operations and professional dispatching.
* Must possess all necessary technical skills associated with the Dispatch Center operation systems.
* Must have intrinsic knowledge on Emergency/Disaster Operations/
* Must possess all necessary skills associated with Dispatch Center, Campus Safety
* Dispatching, camera system, and emergency/disaster operations.
Primary Duties/Essential Functions
* Responds to incoming telephone, voice radio calls, including emergency and non-emergency calls.
* Receive and transmit messages using multiple forms of communication.
* Record and concisely communicate descriptions of persons and property.
* Keep on-duty supervisor informed of all calls.
* Maintain a variety of automated records.
* Handle dispatch related clerical duties.
* Answer inquiries and provide information to the APU community as needed.
* Build and maintain positive relationships with co-workers, employees and faculty/staff, students, vendors, guests, etc. using principles of exceptional customer service.
* Update the dispatch communication logs and records.
* Attend meetings as assigned.
* Maintain radio communications with safety officers, keeping accurate records of dispatch and emergency communications activity as required by federal law.
* Maintain compliance with FCC laws and regulations related to both emergency and non-emergency radio communications.
* Ensure the proper operation of the radio dispatch center.
* Operating the visual and alarmed security systems, operations of the dispatch log and components, dispatching in medical emergencies, crime intervention and enhancing communication skills.
* Maintain strict confidentiality on all work related matters.
* Process all radio traffic and assign proper officer response.
* Process and route phone calls, emails and walk-ins to the proper personnel.
* Processing, filing and data entry of department related forms.
* Assist with various shift and office duties as assigned.
* Performs other duties as deemed necessary via chain of command.
* Strong and exceptional customer service skills and interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
* Ability to work shift assignments as required by the department, which could include working holidays and weekends.
* Knowledge of laws, regulations, methods, and techniques in area of specialty.
* Ability to react calmly and effectively in all situations.
* Skills in the use of first aid procedures.
* Skill in the use of personal computers and related software applications.
* Ability to make judgment calls on sensitive, confidential issues.
* A thorough knowledge of: Business English and arithmetic; general office methods, procedures and practices.
* Ability to plan, develop, and coordinate multiple projects.
* Ability to read and write at a level appropriate to the duties of the position.
* Ability to use independent judgment and to manage and impart confidential information.
* Ability to gather data, compile information, and prepare reports.
* Strong organizational skills and detailed oriented.
* Ability to maintain confidentiality.
* Excellent telephone courtesy knowledge and experience.
* Ability to interpret, adapt, and apply guidelines and procedures.
* Ability to resolve customer complaints and concerns.
* Ability to investigate and analyze information and to draw conclusions.
* Must possess and maintain a clean and valid California Driverís License.
* Ability to work under pressure, exuding a mature demeanor while multi-tasking in a deadline oriented environment with accuracy and consistency.
* Ability to work independently and meet deadlines.
* Ability to work collaboratively with a team, as well as an independent contributor.
* Ability to exercise good judgment and discretionary skills in determining when to act independently and when to consult management prior to taking action.
* Self-starter with a positive attitude.
* In agreement with the purpose and goals of Azusa Pacific University in providing a Christian-based higher education for its students.
* Requires repetitive motions and sitting at computer keyboard.
* Hearing and speaking on the telephone.
* Able to conduct business at other offices on campus.
* Able to lift, bend, grasp, reach, lift up to 20 lbs. occasionally.
* Reading, writing notes, and computer monitor.
* Pleasant office, comfortable temperature.
* Proficient in Google Apps., Microsoft Office, Word and Excel.
Azusa Pacific University will conduct a background check on all final candidates.
Click below to discover some of the many benefits APU employees enjoy including competitive health care options, an 8% retirement match, and a generous tuition discount.
You can learn more about APU by watching the stories of faculty, staff, and alumni as they carry out our mission here: http://www.apu.edu/stories/
Review of applications will begin immediately, and the position will remain open until filled unless otherwise stated. Azusa Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.