Home > HBCU Profiles > Southwestern Christian College
Southwestern Christian College
PO Box 10
Terrel, Texas 75160
(972) 524-3341 or (800) 925-9357
Contact: Walter Price
http://www.swcc.edu/
Scholarships
Oracle/UNCF Corporate Scholars Program 2010
Dallas Independent School District Scholarship
Post New Scholarship
College Logo
Campus Queens
Student Members
Alumni Members
Sports Headlines
Post Sports News
College Overview  
     Southwestern Christian College, founded and sponsored by members of Churches of Christ, is accredited as a four-year (level II), educational college (limited to Bachelor's degree in Bible and Religious Education), with a two-year associate program in the liberal arts. Its purpose is to:
     •offer a holistic educational program that will motivate the student to value and achieve academic excellence within the context of commitment to moral and spiritual values;
     •to assist students in making their transitions from high school to higher education on various levels;
     •to assist students in preparation for varied vocations in life;
     •to prepare future leaders for their distinct communities and the world at large.

Online Admissions Application: http://www.swcc.edu/quick_apply.html
Quick Facts
Undergrad Population: 224
Graduate Population: 0
Student Body: Coed
In State Tuition: $6910
Out of State Tuition: $6910
Room & Board: $4688
Applications Due: June 1st ($20)
Conference:
Mascot: Rams
Accreditations:
Online Classes: no
Percent Men: 54%
Percent Women: 46%
Southwestern Christian College Related Video
Southwestern Christian College - Jesus Is Coming Soon... see more videos
Upcoming Events at Southwestern Christian College
The Wall
Future spot for testimonials, comments, pictures, video
Majors Offered

Associate of Arts

Associate of Science

RELIGIOUS STUDIES

Bachelor of Science


Unique Programs
Sports & Extra Curricular Activities
College History
     In the Fall of 1948, with some forty-five students attending, a small beginning was made in Fort Worth, Texas, under the name of Southern Bible Institute.
     The Board intended to buy property in Fort Worth to erect a permanent school plant, but in the summer of 1949, an opportunity was afforded to purchase the school property formerly owned by the Texas Military College in Terrell. When the military school closed and the property was offered for sale, the Trustees purchased it. At this time the name was changed to Southwestern Christian College.
     On the campus stands the first dwelling erected in Terrell. This home, built by a man named Terrell, was constructed in an octagonal shape to give better protection against Indians. Today it remains as one of the twenty surviving Round Houses in the entire nation--listed by the Dallas Centennial as a place to visit.
     Even when it was built, the house was the object of interest as it contained the first glass windows in Kaufman County. The doors, however, were typical of the pioneer houses in that they were put together with wooden pegs. The original doors have long since been removed, and other rooms have been added at the back of the house, but the original logs used as supports in the house are still supporting the building. The local chapter of the Historical Society has placed a historical marker at the Round House site.
     The administration building was built and used as a school fifty years ago. Mr. W.B. Toone, whose wife was born in the Round House to Mr. and Mrs. Terrell, operated a co-educational school from 1896 to 1904. He sold it to the Methodists who returned the property to Mr. Toone about 1908. It was then sold to Colonel Perry who operated it as a private military school.
     After Colonel Perry's death, the school was continued by his wife, daughter, and son-in-law, and later by the people of Terrell.
     The Trustees of SwCC bought the property from the Perry estate in 1949 and began operation the following Fall.
More Campus Photos
Sponsored Content Create an Ad
Follow Us!
Link To Us!
Do you have a website? Link to HBCU Connect!