Political Organizer, Capital area
The Political Coordinator is based in Washington, DC metro-area and is responsible for aspects of the Union’s political work in Maryland, Virginia, and Washington, DC.
Responsibilities Include but are not limited to:
• Mobilizing, training, educating, and developing new member leaders and activists for legislative and electoral activity;
• Planning and coordinating political field activities, lobby visits, phone banking and events for our public policy campaigns at the school district, city, county, state and federal level;
• Planning and supervising an electoral program for local, state and federal elections;
• Driving political activity around specific re-zoning and economic development fights;
• Supporting contract and organizing campaigns, including rallies, press events and targeted owner activity;
• Building the Union’s capacity through grassroots political fundraising drives;
• Working with the State Political Director and the Policy Department to develop and implement a statewide public policy and political agenda throughout the region;
• Overseeing and carrying out regional activity for federal legislative campaigns;
• Coordinating the Union’s work with local labor and community allies, including the SEIU International and State Council programs.
• 3 to 5 years of experience in labor, political, or community organizing;
• Ability to design and implement powerful and effective political programs;
• Comprehensive knowledge of legislative processes;
• Experience working on electoral campaigns and managing field programs;
• Excellent communications skills and experience building strong working relationships with stakeholders across the Union;
• Fluent written and oral Spanish preferred but not required;
• Willingness to work a flexible schedule including occasional evenings and weekends, and to travel as needed.
32BJ SEIU is one of the largest and most dynamic labor unions in the East coast, with over 163,000 members in 11 states and Washington, DC. The Union is at the forefront of building the nation’s labor movement, supporting progressive candidates for elected office and moving a broad policy agenda, including campaigns to guarantee living wages, promote responsible development and expand access to health care. Its parent organization, the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), is the nation’s largest labor union.