Job Title: College Laboratory Technician - Nursing
Long Island City, NY United States
Education and Library
College Laboratory Technician - Nursing
College Laboratory Technician - Nursing
Job ID: 16702
Location: LaGuardia Community College
- Performs highly-skilled laboratory functions and other technical duties in support of coursework.
- Sets up, maintains, and organizes student laboratories
- Assists students with setting up experiments and other learning exercises, and with the use of equipment and materials
- Maintains appropriate safety and hygiene standards
- Maintains required documentation related to laboratory activities
- Manages equipment and materials inventories.
College Laboratory Technician
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
LaGuardia Community College, located in Long Island City, Queens, educates more than 50,000 New Yorkers annually through degree, certificate, and continuing education programs. Our guiding principle Dare To Do More reflects our belief in the transformative power of education—not just for individuals, but for our community and our country—creating pathways for achievement and safeguarding the middle class. LaGuardia is a national voice on behalf of community colleges, where half of all US college students study. Part of the City University of New York (CUNY), the College reflects the legacy of our namesake, Fiorello H. LaGuardia, the former NYC mayor beloved for his championing the underserved. Since our doors opened in 1971, our programs regularly become national models for pushing boundaries to give people of all backgrounds access to a high quality, affordable college education. We invite you to join us in imagining what our students, our community, and our country can become. Visit www.LaGuardia.edu to learn more.
Reporting to the Director in the Health Sciences Department, the College Laboratory Technician duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Maintains the day-to-day activities and services of the nursing skills lab, Including laboratory and simulation scenarios set up, for day and evening laboratory sessions.
- Maintains equipment and ensures Its operation; makes simple repairs and performs minor maintenance to laboratory equipment.
- Maintains inventories of supplies and equipment; preparation of orders for laboratory equipment and supplies.
- Collaborates with faculty in scheduling laboratory classes, practice hours, and the resource room open hours.
- Schedules use of, and assists in, simulation laboratories.
- Supervises and schedules adjunct college laboratory technicians, college assistants, and work study students assigned to the nursing labs.
- Participates in program, department, and college-wide committees and support college initiatives.
High School Diploma with a minimum of four years' related experience. Additional education may be used to meet the experience requirement: an Associate degree may be substituted for two years experience, and a Bachelor's degree may be substituted for four years experience.
- Current RN license in New York State
- One (1) year of recent clinical experience
- Knowledge of modern computer programs; Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, Adobe, and Blackboard
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills
- Ability to work as part of a team and cooperate with others for the good of the institution
- Evidence of continued appropriate professional development
- Flexible hours required.
Commensurate with experience and education
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications should be submitted on-line as follows:
1. Log in to CUNY Portal at www.cuny.edu
2. Navigate to the Employment section and click on "Search Job Postings"
3. Search by Job Opening ID number
4. Click on the Apply Now button
Current users of the site should access their established accounts; new users should click on the appropriate link to register. Please attach a cover letter, resume, and the contact information for three professional references as one document in rtf, doc or pdf format.
June 14, 2017
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Support Staff
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.