Human Resources, Collegiate Faculty, Staff, Administration
Associate Director, Labor Relations (6900)
The Office of Human Resources at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville (SIUE) is seeking an experienced Associate Director of Labor Relations. Under the direction of the Director of Human Resources, the Associate Director assists with providing strategic and operational leadership to the Labor Relations area. This critical position plans, negotiates and administers labor contracts for 15+ bargaining units including a newly formed faculty union.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
· Create and execute a comprehensive labor relations strategy.
· Establish and maintain close relations with Union officials, University leaders, and employees.
· Advise senior leadership on the impact that strategic or operational decisions will have on employee and labor relations and make recommendations that avoid and/or minimize the risk of labor disputes.
· Provide advice, counsel and resolution to University leadership on a broad range of employee issues related to the collective bargaining agreements, including confidential staff investigations/meetings, employee misconduct and/or violations of agreements, policy interpretation, employee conflict, work conditions, and employee discipline.
· Manage negotiation preparation, draft contract proposals and counterproposals as necessary prior to and during negotiating sessions with employee bargaining units.
· Collect, review and analyze comparative salary and benefits data for represented employees.
· Creative problem solver with a passion for Human Resources and Labor Relations.
· Highly collaborative, and comfortable working with various members of University leadership.
· Strong interpersonal, organizational, and critical thinking skills.
· Excellent leadership, problem solving, project management, and presentation skills.
· Ability to interface effectively with all levels of employees, managers and executives.
· Detail-oriented and organized, with excellent follow-through and analytical skills.
· Ability to execute both strategic and tactical priorities.
· Solid written and verbal communication skills a must, including the ability to interface with others inside and outside of the University in a positive and professional manner.
· Able to work independently with the ability to juggle priorities and manage time to effectively meet deadlines.
· Ability to work in a diverse, and fast paced environment.
This position is a current Administrative / Professional vacancy at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville. The position posting will close to applicants at close of business, 4:30 pm CST, on the posting end date.
Applicants must submit (upload) a letter of application, resume, unofficial academic transcripts, including those for SIUE, and a list of at least three professional references through HireTouch.
To apply for a vacancy, click the “Apply” button, which will prompt you to access your existing HireTouch account or create a new account. Instructions for creating a new account are available at: HireTouch Set-Up. Only create a new account if you have NEVER created an account. In your HireTouch account, you will upload all necessary documentation as requested above. After logging in or completing your new profile, you can then complete your application process for individual positions.
Once you have applied, you may click the Positions For Which You Have Applied link to review your submission.
Applicants will be subject to a background check and/or drug screening prior to an offer of employment.
Qualifications & Requirements Minimum Acceptable Qualifications:
1. Master's Degree in a relevant field.
2. Minimum 6 years of experience in management or a supervisory role and a minimum of 3 years of experience working with labor organizations in negotiating collective bargaining agreements and resolving labor issues.
3. Must have a working knowledge of:
· Personnel management and labor relations theories, principles and practices.
· Laws, regulations, policies, and concepts pertaining to educational labor relations.
· Current issues, practices, problems and precedence in public sector labor relations.
-Experience in public sector bargaining is highly desirable.
SIUE is a nationally recognized university that provides students with a high-quality, affordable education that prepares them for successful careers and lives of purpose. Built on the foundation of a broad-based liberal education, and enhanced by hands-on research and real-world experiences, the academic preparation SIUE students receive equips them to thrive in the global marketplace and make our communities better places to live.
SIUE awards degrees in undergraduate and graduate programs encompassing the arts, sciences, nursing, education, health, human behavior, business and engineering. The Schools of Dental Medicine and Pharmacy award first-professional doctoral degrees in dental medicine (DMD) and pharmacy (PharmD).
SIUE is an NCAA Division I member of the Ohio Valley Conference, as well as the Missouri Valley Conference in men’s soccer and the Southern Conference in wrestling. The Edwardsville campus is supplemented by campuses in Alton and East St. Louis.
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to an inclusive and diverse workforce. We will not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, national origin, religion, disability, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation or veteran’s status. We encourage applications from women, minorities, protected veterans and people with disabilities.
Please visit our employer showcase!