Job Summary Performs a variety of manual tasks and activities related to the construction of MetCom facilities, including , but not limited to operating and maintaining various machines and equipment; performs other duties as assigned.
1. Operates a back hoe and skid loader
2. Operates a dump truck and trailer
3. Maintains all equipment as assigned, including, but not limited to: back hoe, skid loader, dump truck, tool truck, trailer, chainsaw, tamper, water pump, etc.
4. Performs maintenance on well houses and wastewater equipment and systems
5. Installs or maintains roofs, steps, walls, and dry wall
6. Paints facilities as assigned
7. Assists with road construction
8. Performs other duties as assigned
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Ability to gain working knowledge of St. Mary’s County Metropolitan Commission policies and procedures
2. Ability to act as a representative of St. Mary’s County Metropolitan Commission to the public
3. Knowledge of relevant maintenance and repair practices and procedures
4. Knowledge of safety regulations and established procedures for operating and maintaining equipment as well as for ensuring safety
5. A working knowledge of excavation, Utility and Construction practices
6. General knowledge of Maintenance of Construction equipment
7. Valid Class B Maryland Commercial Driver’s License
Education and Experience:
1. High School Diploma or G.E.D
2. 1 year or more of related job experience
3. Or equivalent technical training, education, and/or experience
4. Valid Class B Maryland Commercial Driver’s License
Physical and Environmental Conditions:
Work requires constant physical effort in the handling of heavy tools, equipment, or materials of 60 pounds or more.
Work environment involves high risks with exposure to potentially dangerous situations or unusual environmental stress which require a range of safety and other precautions, e.g., aggressive human behavior, extreme outdoor weather conditions, confined work space, or similar situations where conditions cannot be controlled.
The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
The St. Mary’s County Metropolitan Commission (MetCom) is a quasi-governmental agency that provides water and sewer services for residents and businesses in St. Mary’s County, Maryland. MetCom has a customer base of over 17,000 and exceeds $20 million in annual revenues.
MetCom is located in historic St. Mary’s County, the birthplace of Maryland. St. Mary’s County is situated on a peninsula in Southern Maryland with over 500 miles of shoreline on the Patuxent River, Potomac River and the Chesapeake Bay. Home to Patuxent River Naval Air Station, St. Mary’s College and great seafood, the area is a true destination for raising a family, building a career or simply enjoying the pleasures of outdoor life. The County’s location allows for easy access to major metropolitan areas, while offering residents a high quality of life and affordable lifestyles.
The Metropolitan Commission is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity and sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic covered by law.