W.W. Norton & Company is seeking a Senior Designer to join its Trade Art Department. This position will be responsible for the coordination and oversight of the brand-new Norton Young Readers list as well as the Norton Professional Books list. In this role they will attend meetings, consult with editorial and art directors on cover direction, and collaborate with the entire art department. This role will also have a responsibility to work with the authors and artists on the Young Readers list who produce illustrated books. We are looking for a talented designer who is autonomous, has a diversity to their work which can understand the young reader and professional audiences, has a positive attitude with fresh ideas, a passion for the publishing industry, and is looking to push their work forward. This role reports directly to the Trade Design Director who will oversee all aspects of the job.
Essential Responsibilities Include:
Norton Young Readers
• Work directly with the NYR Publishing Director and authors to cohesively design each title on their list (approximately 15 per year).
• Assign and co-ordinate freelancers for picture books and other fixed layout titles from sketches through final files.
• Create original cover designs for non-picture book titles.
• Develop & maintain a distinct and consistent visual style for NYR books, promotional materials (posters, etc.) and advertising.
Norton Professional Books
• Manage an ongoing list of approximately 45 titles per year from origination to production.
• Manage budgets for NPB covers and jackets.
• Create original cover designs and oversee freelancers on cover designs.
• Manage pre-press preparation for each title.
• Attend production and design meetings.
• Other tasks as assigned by the Design Director.
Please note that this job description is not designed to cover all activities required of the employee.
Qualifications & Requirements
• Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design.
• Minimum of 5 years of professional experience at or for a publishing company.
• Must understand the nuances of cover design across multiple genres and have a range of styles which fit the diversity of Norton’s publishing program. In particular, a knowledge of the young reader audience and an understanding of the professional audience.
• Experience with 4-color trade book design.
• Experience with children’s picture book design practice and workflow.
• Familiarity with typography standards and practice for children’s chapter books and middle grade titles.
• Excellent communication and organization skills.
• Critical eye for design.
• Inspired to think independently and creatively.
• Must be able to efficiently manage their own workload.
• Must have a positive attitude towards collaboration.
• Must have the ability to manage a flexible list and tight deadlines.
• Fluency in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign.
• Ability to work standard business hours in Norton’s New York City office.
• Employment eligibility to work in the United States is required.
W. W. Norton & Company is the oldest and largest publishing house owned wholly by its employees. W. W. Norton & Company strives to carry out the imperative of its founder to “publish books not for a single season, but for the years.” In college publishing, that imperative applies not only to books, but also to an ever-growing list of essential print and digital supplements that support teaching and learning.
W.W. Norton & Company is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected factor.
W.W. Norton & Company is the oldest and largest publishing house owned wholly by its employees. W.W. Norton & Company strives to carry out the imperative of its founder to “publish books not for a single season, but for the years” in the areas of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry. For more information about the Company, please visit us online at: http://www.wwnorton.com.
W. W. Norton & Company is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected factor.