Job Title: Student Life International Student Advisor
New York, NY United States
Student Life International Student Advisor
Student Life International Student Advisor, Office of Admissions and Recruitment
(International Students Office)
Job ID: 20205
Location: Hunter College
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Reporting to the Manager of the International Students Office at Hunter College, in addition to the duties listed in the CUNY Title Overview, the International Student Advisor will be responsible for but not limited to:
- Assists with administering programs and services.
- Performs SEVIS Student and Exchange Visitor Information System operations.
- Advises international students in obtaining and maintaining F-1 and J-1 non-immigrant status.
- Monitors and reports on F-1 and J-1 college enrollment and federal compliance requirements.
- Recommends work permission options based on restrictions to international students according to status (F1: On-campus Employment, Optional Practical Training, Curricular Practical
Training, Severe Economic Hardship and J-1: Academic Training).
- Provides information and guidance to faculty and administrators regarding College and student obligations pertinent to U.S. entry, status maintenance, work permission, health and safety, academic progress and program completion.
- Updates and maintains the International Students Office Website and other electronic communication with international students.
- Conducts immigration and cultural orientation sessions.
- Provides relevant resources and experiential learning opportunities.
- Administers and assists with the evaluation of support programs, intercultural training, student activities and/or orientation programs for international students; assists in preparing orientation packages for new students.
- Stays current with SEVP-Student and Exchange Visitor Program regulations and College policies and procedures.
- Serves on appropriate College committees.
Bachelorís degree required.
- Strong organizational and administrative abilities are essential, as are excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively
- Excellent analytical and problem solving ability
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Interest in working with diverse cultures and communities.
- Multilingual skills preferred; in languages such as: Mandarin Chinese, Japanese, Korean,
Spanish, Thai, or French
- Ability to set goals and meet deadlines
- Knowledge of SEVIS operations, reporting and record keeping preferred
- Must meet Dept of Homeland Security qualifications for SEVIS Access.
- Experience advising international students on immigration, cultural, college enrollment, registration, and student life issues preferred
- Knowledge of student support services and resources preferred
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
- Assists and advises international students on immigration and related issues
- Advises new and continuing international students on immigration procedures, registration, change of status, leave of absence, and other issues; facilitates immigration paperwork and data processing
- Processes information in related systems such as SEVIS (Student Exchange Visitor
Immigration System) and I-1440 databases related to student activities; assists in maintaining student records and creating related reports
- Maintains up-to-date information on regulations, policies and practices (internal and external) pertaining to international students
- Assists in organizing orientation programs, cross-cultural events, and informational workshops
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Assistant to HEO
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with experience.
CUNYís benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications must be submitted online by accessing the CUNY Portal on City University of New
York job website http://www.cuny.edu/employment.html and following the CUNYfirst Job
System Instructions. Current users of the site should access their established accounts; new users should follow the instructions to set up an account. To search for this vacancy, click on Search
Job Listings, select More Options To Search For CUNY Jobs and enter the Job Opening ID number. The required material, as stated on the CUNYfirst vacancy notice, for the application package, must be uploaded as ONE file in .doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf, or text format. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY,
Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.