Media Relations Manager
The New Jersey League of Conservation Voters and its affiliated organizations seek to hire a Media Relations Manager to devise and implement media strategies and increase media presence statewide to promote conservation. This individual must be able to work independently as well as with a dynamic team and committed Board of Directors to maximize outcomes.
The New Jersey League of Conservation Voters (New Jersey LCV) is the leading political voice for the environment in the Garden State. The New Jersey League of Conservation Voters Education Fund is dedicated to maximizing the participation of conservation-minded voters in public policy decisions made at the state and local levels regarding New Jersey’s environment and natural resources.
- Develop, improve, and execute broad and multifaceted communications and media relations strategies involving earned, and paid media efforts designed to achieve the organizations’ missions
- Develop key messages and media-related materials including, but not limited to press releases, media statements, op-eds, letters to the editor, and presentations for events
Serve as an internal expert of communications content, including thorough keeping up-to-date on messaging guidance from the Conservation Voters Movement and staying informed of all aspects of political and legislative issues that pertain to our organizations’ priorities
- Recognize internal and external communications opportunities and define and execute strategies to leverage them
- Serve as a spokesperson to the media on behalf of New Jersey LCV, when necessary
- Cultivate media contacts and secure press coverage for the organization and its programs, policy, and political work
- Develop and support the creation of materials for varied platforms including reports and policy documents, speeches, donor communications, political communications, the website and occasional emails to members.
- Exercise good judgment to prioritize media opportunities, and prepare talking points, speeches, presentations and other supporting materials
- Plan and execute media events and press conferences
- Work cross-departmentally, create strategy, and lead response for crisis communications and issues management
- Represent the organization at meetings and events
- Serve as a member of the leadership team with a focus on cross-departmental collaboration
- Mentor and develop staff consistently using a supportive and collaborative approach
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications & Requirements - Commitment to conservation and understanding of environmental issues
- Superior written and oral communication skills
- Experience developing message materials and working with the media
- Proven media placement abilities
- Proficiency in designing and implementing publicity strategies
- Familiarity with website content management and branding best practices
- Experience working with coalitions preferred
- Demonstrated ability to work accurately under pressure, meet deadlines, and manage a high-volume workload
- Excellent personal organizational and time management skills
New Jersey LCV is the statewide political voice for the environment. We work to elect environmentally responsible candidates to state and local offices. Working with our allies in the community, we advocate for strong environmental policies and hold our elected officials accountable during the legislative session. Through our political work we are strengthening laws that safeguard the health of our communities, the beauty of our state and our economic future.