Human Resources Officer
Position Description: This position coordinates human resources policy and procedures and is responsible for other operational systems. The Human Resources Officer will be responsible for creation and delivery of human resources, benefits, payroll, and other support systems for bi-coastal staff in New York and California. This position will also oversee UAF’s insurance, registration, and management of office spaces. This position reports to the Director of Finance and Operations, and works closely with UAF’s Finance Officer and Operations Associate.
Human Resources & Payroll
• Support Directors in setting pay policies, providing robust employee support and strategizing for retention and wellbeing of staff
• Work with insurance broker to provide robust and manageable health, dental, and employee assistance program to growing staff
• Manage employee enrollment in flex spending accounts, SIMPLE IRA plans, and other elective benefits
• Manage onboarding, offboarding, and maintenance of personnel files
• Keep Employee Handbook and Operations Manual up-to-date and in line with feminist and equality-based language, policies, and best practices
• Ensure time off accruals and staff timesheets are accurate and up to date; help staff use timesheets system as needed (Paychex)
• Process bimonthly payroll
• Ensure appropriate personnel documentation to support grant reporting and annual audits
• Oversee consultant contracts to ensure compliance with reporting and legal requirements, and fulfillment of contractual and budget obligations
Accounting & Bookkeeping
• Work with financial consultant and Finance Officer to ensure appropriate bookkeeping of human resources expenses
• Track payroll and reconcile quarterly tax statements
• Prepare 1099s for individual contractors
IT and Security
• Oversee UAF’s cloud-based systems, ensuring appropriate security measures are implemented and followed
• Assist staff with troubleshooting IT issues
• Manage UAF devices, equipment, and inventory
• Coordinate risk response across teams
• Manage UAF’s insurance policies, including required employer insurance and commercial policies
• Oversee UAF’s physical office spaces in Oakland and New York, including equipment maintenance
• Assist with the filing of all required forms for tax purposes and local and federal charitable status
• Work closely with the Finance Officer and Director of Finance and Operations to ensure accurate and timely reporting to members of the Urgent Action Fund network, including Board of Directors and other sector partners
• Support and/or collaborate with other members of the Operations team and the Development team on special projects as needed
• Share the values of the organization: integrity, feminisms, wellbeing, justice, courage, and mindful engagement.
• Work collaboratively and respectfully with multiple stakeholders including program and development/communications staff, grantees, donors, board members, vendors, and external consultants.
• Thrive on systems improvement and finding efficiencies.
• Work with attention to detail and sensitivity to confidential information.
• Enjoy a small company atmosphere with close cross-departmental collaboration.
Job Specifics & Work Environment:
This position is full time (40 hours per week) and is exempt. Position pay range is $70,000 to $80,000 annually, depending on qualifications and experience and includes a strong benefits package (health, dental, retirement, Flex Spending for medical and transit) and flexible remote work options. Position location is Oakland, California or New York City.
Note: During shelter in place and other local or federal requirements, this position will be fully remote. In the long-term, position location is Oakland, California or New York City.
Urgent Action Fund is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor. In order to build the strongest possible workforce, UAF actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.
How to Apply: Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com, with “Human Resources Officer” in the subject line. Cover letters may be addressed to the hiring manager: Alexandra Holy, Director of Finance and Operations. Applicants must be eligible to work in the United States. The position is open until filled. No phone calls please.
• Minimum 3-5 years’ experience in nonprofit human resources
• Attention to detail and deadline-driven
• Experience with spreadsheets and word processing software
• Superior communication and interpersonal skills
• Comfortable working across cultures and time zones
• Passion for social justice and human rights, including women’s rights and LGBTQI equality
About Us: Centered on a groundbreaking model of rapid response grantmaking, Urgent Action Fund for Women’s Human Rights (UAF) supports courageous women and transgender human rights defenders (WHRDs) around the world. Our model protects and advances the civil, political and social rights of women and LGBTI people, and invests in the resilience of social justice movements, including environmental, feminist, anti-corruption, land rights, youth, and LGBTI movements. Founded in 1997, Urgent Action Fund has grown from a single organization into a network of four independent Sister Funds that collectively support frontline women’s rights activists around the world. With an annual revenue of $7 Million, UAF’s work within this network centers on support for activists and social movements in Central Asia, the Middle East, Western and Eastern Europe, the South Caucuses, Turkey, Russia, Canada, and the United States.