Home > Forums > Interest Groups > Fraternity & Sorority Life
Edit Settings  |  Search Forums
Why do u think i should CONSIDER becoming an AKA, DST, or a ZETA??? Posted on 10-17-2007
dasiagreene

JUST WANT UR OPINION...and if u dont want to rep ur org plse dont reply or be sarcastic..because trust when i say i can be apart whatever i want with 103 community service hrs, 3.987 GPA, on the deans list 3 times honor roll 1, and in many school organization; all in my skinny leg jean pocket!!!! FYI IVE BEEN APPROACH BY MEMBERS OF EACH ORG
  [Reply]
Page 6 of 9 First  < 123456789  >  Last
evy08 replied on 11-09-2007 05:41PM [Reply]
smc112 wrote:
I've experienced enough with this stuff not to just make assumptions but to state facts. I have been on line with an organization (and I'm not saying any names) that have hazed me and I'm not speaking from what I've heard but from a personal experience. I know what the Greek culture consists of and trust me it isn't about helping mankind and you better believe that! It is amazing that the people in this thread, that is defending this stuff, isn't in college or never have experienced this stuff. People like Cnels who is actually Greek isn't saying a word because he knows that I'm speaking the truth! Even people that are Greek know that this stuff is a big social thing and that these orgs aren't doing a whole lot to help people. I will be glad when people actually quit being in denial about what this stuff truly is!
As far as Nels is concerned, you can't really say what he does/doesn't know. If he feels the need to comment about what his fraternity does/doesn't do then that's his business and his alone. I'm not sure whether you're salty about your "experience" or what, but whatever the case may be, you've got your opinion on Greek orgs. and I've got mine. And yes, I am in high school which means I haven't experienced anything about Greek life other than what I have seen in my community. Matter of fact, I was in a pageant not too long ago which was through the alumnae chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc. and because of them I'll be recieving $3,000 which will go towards my freshman year of college. I am also applying for scholarships through all four of the NPHC sororities in order to recieve more money for school....so I'll be damned if you tell me that helping a student pay their way through college isn't "beneficial". But as I said before you are entitled to your own opinion so I'll just let that be.
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
rkfl2004 replied on 11-09-2007 07:28PM [Reply]
smc112 wrote:
I've experienced enough with this stuff not to just make assumptions but to state facts. I have been on line with an organization (and I'm not saying any names) that have hazed me and I'm not speaking from what I've heard but from a personal experience. I know what the Greek culture consists of and trust me it isn't about helping mankind and you better believe that! It is amazing that the people in this thread, that is defending this stuff, isn't in college or never have experienced this stuff. People like Cnels who is actually Greek isn't saying a word because he knows that I'm speaking the truth! Even people that are Greek know that this stuff is a big social thing and that these orgs aren't doing a whole lot to help people. I will be glad when people actually quit being in denial about what this stuff truly is!
DANG..was I the only one who cringed when i read that...subject and verb agreement just all screwed up...dnt know if its studying for that ACT or just being literate that made it stand out but it wasn't pretty... that aside...I can kinda sorta see your point; however, it seems that you're unfairly writing off all greek orgs because of your own personal experience ...I think that the fact that so many different people take pride in their orgs and are so loyal to them has to do with something a little deeper than fun parties or step shows....I think it has to do with the fact that these people believe that they were in some other way being enriched or bettered as a person and also they were making some kind of contribution to their community...or at least that's what I'd liked to belive..but hey im jus a lil hs student..what do I know..xcept a lil grammar????
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
iRep504 replied on 11-09-2007 07:54PM [Reply]
On a side note. Ugh. I hate when people talk about college and "the real world" as if it is this trip to a 4th dimension. I've know that I haven't been living in a fake world for the last 17 years. College is the same thing that we have been doing for the past 12 years....social & learning So just because we haven't been hazed... does not mean we haven't been exposed to the good or bad of Greek organizations...I've been involved with XYZ events for my entire life and have seen the community service of the Alumnae chapters first hand...I know what type of women that the sorority has helped my grandmother and mother become...and I know I plan to follow in their footsteps... And if you know the history of sororities in general you know that it was created to be a social organization with emphasis put into community service. Little Known Fact: Alpha Delta Pi, the first national sorority/society, was an organization where the women prayed, sang and wrote and recited poetry at their meetings. BLAH. I just sense that somebody is a little salty.
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
smc112 replied on 11-09-2007 08:31PM [Reply]
rkfl2004 wrote:
DANG..was I the only one who cringed when i read that...subject and verb agreement just all screwed up...dnt know if its studying for that ACT or just being literate that made it stand out but it wasn't pretty... that aside...I can kinda sorta see your point; however, it seems that you're unfairly writing off all greek orgs because of your own personal experience ...I think that the fact that so many different people take pride in their orgs and are so loyal to them has to do with something a little deeper than fun parties or step shows....I think it has to do with the fact that these people believe that they were in some other way being enriched or bettered as a person and also they were making some kind of contribution to their community...or at least that's what I'd liked to belive..but hey im jus a lil hs student..what do I know..xcept a lil grammar????
Sweetie, before you ever try to correct someone's grammar make sure you have everything on point! Just a thought. Actually, I was writing fast because I have a lot to do and I'm busy unlike some people who sit on these discussion boards all day! LOL Would you like me to point out all of your errors above? I highlighted them in bold. LOL By the way, you made me cringe!
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
smc112 replied on 11-09-2007 08:38PM [Reply]
evy08 wrote:
I am also applying for scholarships through all four of the NPHC sororities in order to recieve more money for school....so I'll be damned if you tell me that helping a student pay their way through college isn't "beneficial". But as I said before you are entitled to your own opinion so I'll just let that be.
Well, good for you but was it necessary for you to use profanity? If you can't afford to go to college or come from a low income family, by all means get all the money you can.
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
smc112 replied on 11-09-2007 08:54PM [Reply]
I see why all the "college" people have left HBCU connect because the highschoolers have taken over! Someone please let me know where the "grown" folks forums are! Studies have shown that the brain isn't in full development to make sound decisions until the age of at least 26. So why is everyone listening to a bunch of 17 or 18 year olds??? Cnels please let me know of the new forums on the web that are geared toward adults!
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
Jamaican Shawty replied on 11-09-2007 11:42PM [Reply]
Its so much animosity for no appearant reason, the only thing us "high schoolers" are pointing out basically is that generalization you made is not 100 percent accurate thats it. If anything being the adult you are there are different ways to address it rather than being so ugly about it. If you have so much time on your hands why is it for the past 2 pages you are the most prevalent poster. Communication in general has nothing to do with age nor education because a 26 year old can be one of the most ignorant and immature person you may talk to so choosing to belittle our statements due to age IN MY OPINION wasnt needed. ANYWAY I got nothing but love for yall on here I hope no one is really taking this to heart because opinions are opinions, facts are facts, and everyone has had different experiences and interactions.
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
Jamaican Shawty replied on 11-09-2007 11:48PM [Reply]
iRep504 wrote:
Somebody always wanna call something irrelevant. Who died and made these people judges of all things relevant.
I apologize if I gave you the false impression that my opinion was indeed meant to be seen as a fact, it was not at all but simply my opinion. No one has to agree or disagree in regards to it because again it is my opinion. Peace and love Deuces Happy November
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
evy08 replied on 11-09-2007 11:52PM [Reply]
Let's not get caught up in age smc112. Since when were "grown folk" referring to themselves as "grown"??? If it makes you feel good to flaunt your so called seniority, then by all means do that. HBCU Connect isn't just for those in college; college aspirants, alumni, and those attending PWI's are welcome as well. Before you start trying to tell me/us about "college life" and spitting out facts, you need to calm down and realize that this site is more than just a social connection. Instead of trying to act all high and mighty behind those pixels in your monitor, it would behoove you to stick to what you know. And from what you've stated, all you know is that you weren't cut out for XYZ and now you're so busy trying to sling mud, that you can't get that pretty little head of yours out of your behind
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
iRep504 replied on 11-10-2007 01:49PM [Reply]
Well... That went well.
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
Reply To Topic
In order to post a response to this topic, please login below or click here to signup.
Email Address:
Password:
Page 6 of 9 First  < 123456789  >  Last
Home > Forums > Interest Groups > Fraternity & Sorority Life
Sponsored Content Create an Ad
Follow Us!
Link To Us!
Do you have a website? Link to HBCU Connect!