Home > Forums > Interest Groups > HBCU Specific Topics & Concerns > Tha AUC
Edit Settings  |  Search Forums
Chances for Spelman Posted on 07-07-2008
ashgilly
Gallatin, TN
ACT- 26 (taking it again in hopes of raising it to a 28-30) SAT- Haven't take it yet. GPA- LOW (3.0) Classes- Eight Adavanced Placement classes under my belt, by the end of my senior year. Passed all with no less than a C. 3 Dual Enrollment classes Extracurricular Activity- Mock **** for two year, Model United Nations, Youth Leg., Volunteer work at the local hospital, Not to mention all of the extra work I do to help my community (cleaning parks, volunteering at a summer camp for the youth) A plethora things I do at my church with the YPD (Young People Department). . . Essay writing skills are through the roof according to every english and history teacher I have ever had, and it improves more and more and the years roll by. -sighhhhhhhhh- I'm so nervous, because Spelman is my DREAM COLLEGE. It would absolutely crush me if I weren't accepted. I really need some input on things Spelman looks for in a young black woman. I know it is highly competitive to get into Spelman. I can't wait til see what the future holds for me.
  [Reply]
Page 1 of 4 1234  >  Last
HBCUlover from washington, DC replied on 07-07-2008 11:26PM [Reply]
hey, i can totally relate to what ur saying, Spelman, at this point, is my first choice, however i understand its competitiveness. i attend a college prep school and as of my 9th n 10th grade years i have a 3.0 GPA also. however i have a cumulative GPA of 4.0 during my junior year so i expect that 3.0 to go up 2 about 3.3 at the most. i took my SAT and received a 1540 (or 1520.lol) and i plan on taking it again to, hopefully, get my score up. ive completed over 270 hours of community service, im in the IB program, ive been in extracurricular activities, i have also done model UN (so much fun.i even won a trophy.lol), i have been in leadership positions and i currently do video production and web design at my job where ive help positions such as floor director and technical director for video production (both leadership positions) in taping a youth television show, im also in the process of creating my own website. id like to think i have a chance but i know there are going to be a wide range of students applying i can only hope i stand out.=[...good luck with ur application process. yay 2009
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
ashgilly from Gallatin, TN replied on 07-07-2008 11:53PM [Reply]

'Eyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy I can see that we're in the same boat. A lot of folks tell me that I don't have anything to worry about because my resume' is solid, but yet I'm still nervous. Your pretty solid, too! Which is great, because I wish nothing but the best for a strong black sistah! lol I hope I see you at the top (SPELMAN) 09!

  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
Bubblicious replied on 07-08-2008 06:34PM [Reply]
omg ya'll should be set on getting into Spelman....i was accepted this year and like i had a 3.3 gpa a 24 on the act which really isn't even all that great, took mostly all honors and AP classes and passed with a B- or above and had some extracurriculars and 217 community service hrs and i got in....so ya'll should be fine...just keep ya grades up!!!!
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
ashgilly from Gallatin, TN replied on 07-08-2008 06:38PM [Reply]
Bubblicious wrote:
omg ya'll should be set on getting into Spelman....i was accepted this year and like i had a 3.3 gpa a 24 on the act which really isn't even all that great, took mostly all honors and AP classes and passed with a B- or above and had some extracurriculars and 217 community service hrs and i got in....so ya'll should be fine...just keep ya grades up!!!!
What kind of community service and volunteer work did you do?
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
Bubblicious replied on 07-08-2008 06:56PM [Reply]
i voulunteered at this place called care and share boxing up food for the needy and most of my hours came from voulunteering at a daycare ( i was in the baby and toddler room and that was sooo much fun!)
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
hb412 from Beautiful, OH replied on 07-08-2008 11:14PM [Reply]

Spelman likes girls with potential. They recognize that scores and grades aren't everything. If your application sparkles with personality and intelligence i'm sure you'll be accepted. Just to drop statistics... The middle 50% of accepted students have a math score of 490-570, a verbal score between 500-580, and an ACT score between 21-25. The avg acceptance rate is 33% which makes it a highly competitive school. According to those stats, an ACT score of 26 puts you in the 25% percentile for applicants. That's a great start. Good Luck Girlies!
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
ashgilly from Gallatin, TN replied on 07-09-2008 02:11AM [Reply]
hb412 wrote:
Spelman likes girls with potential. They recognize that scores and grades aren't everything. If your application sparkles with personality and intelligence i'm sure you'll be accepted. Just to drop statistics... The middle 50% of accepted students have a math score of 490-570, a verbal score between 500-580, and an ACT score between 21-25. The avg acceptance rate is 33% which makes it a highly competitive school. According to those stats, an ACT score of 26 puts you in the 25% percentile for applicants. That's a great start. Good Luck Girlies!
I hope that they actually do realize I have a good head on my shoulders, although I made some mistakes my freshman year with school! UGHHHH Hopefully they'll look at how much I have overcame, because that's where I'm set on attending. I go to visit at the end of this month, so I'm excited. I can ask a lot of questions then.
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
HBCUlover from washington, DC replied on 07-09-2008 09:57AM [Reply]
ashgilly wrote:

'Eyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy I can see that we're in the same boat. A lot of folks tell me that I don't have anything to worry about because my resume' is solid, but yet I'm still nervous. Your pretty solid, too! Which is great, because I wish nothing but the best for a strong black sistah! lol I hope I see you at the top (SPELMAN) 09!

yea we do have pretty solid resumes and i feel like even if we dont have 4.0s, if we show that we are involved in our school and community they'll see that and the grades would just b a plus, like if they see ur taking AP classes it shows that you are challenging urself and yet ur still able to maintain a 3.0 and a commitment to activities. im just worried cause i know there are going to b alot of applicants and i just hope i stand out. dont worry, come jan, or june we'll b posting a thread saying "yay! we got into Spelman..now all we need is money.lol"
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
HBCUlover from washington, DC replied on 07-09-2008 09:58AM [Reply]
ashgilly wrote:
I hope that they actually do realize I have a good head on my shoulders, although I made some mistakes my freshman year with school! UGHHHH Hopefully they'll look at how much I have overcame, because that's where I'm set on attending. I go to visit at the end of this month, so I'm excited. I can ask a lot of questions then.
omg ur going 2 visit!..i dont think im going, though im going to try very hard 2 b/c i wanna see the campus with my own eyes and ask questions of my own.lol.
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
Reply To Topic
In order to post a response to this topic, please login below or click here to signup.
Email Address:
Password:
Page 1 of 4 1234  >  Last
Home > Forums > Interest Groups > HBCU Specific Topics & Concerns > Tha AUC
Sponsored Content Create an Ad
Follow Us!
Link To Us!
Do you have a website? Link to HBCU Connect!