Home > Forums > Interest Groups > HBCU Specific Topics & Concerns > Tha AUC
Edit Settings  |  Search Forums
Chances for Spelman Posted on 07-07-2008
ashgilly
Gallatin, TN
ACT- 26 (taking it again in hopes of raising it to a 28-30) SAT- Haven't take it yet. GPA- LOW (3.0) Classes- Eight Adavanced Placement classes under my belt, by the end of my senior year. Passed all with no less than a C. 3 Dual Enrollment classes Extracurricular Activity- Mock Trial for two year, Model United Nations, Youth Leg., Volunteer work at the local hospital, Not to mention all of the extra work I do to help my community (cleaning parks, volunteering at a summer camp for the youth) A plethora things I do at my church with the YPD (Young People Department). . . Essay writing skills are through the roof according to every english and history teacher I have ever had, and it improves more and more and the years roll by. -sighhhhhhhhh- I'm so nervous, because Spelman is my DREAM COLLEGE. It would absolutely crush me if I weren't accepted. I really need some input on things Spelman looks for in a young black woman. I know it is highly competitive to get into Spelman. I can't wait til see what the future holds for me.
  [Reply]
Page 2 of 4 First  < 1234  >  Last
TSUblueTiger replied on 07-09-2008 01:35PM [Reply]
HBCUlover wrote:
omg ur going 2 visit!..i dont think im going, though im going to try very hard 2 b/c i wanna see the campus with my own eyes and ask questions of my own.lol.
I think taking a visit in person is the best option. However, if you want to view Spelman College via Satellite, I recommend using Google earth. You can take a look at the campus and its surroundings. If you don’t have Google earth, you can download it for free via the link below. Just click the button labeled “download google earth 4.3” Google Earth
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
HBCUlover from washington, DC replied on 07-09-2008 07:05PM [Reply]
TSUblueTiger wrote:
I think taking a visit in person is the best option. However, if you want to view Spelman College via Satellite, I recommend using Google earth. You can take a look at the campus and its surroundings. If you don’t have Google earth, you can download it for free via the link below. Just click the button labeled “download google earth 4.3” Google Earth
just downloaded it.its a bit complicated but i think ill get the gist is it.
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
ashgilly from Gallatin, TN replied on 07-12-2008 03:45AM [Reply]
I really appreciates all of the feedback. . . very much needed. . . Now, I must question it a little bit more. . . How beautiful/or not so beautiful is the campus? How are the dorms? How does Spelman interact with the other AUC schools? Life on campus? Free time things to do? Food? Parties? (I shall live my college experience to the fullest!!!)
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
hb412 from Beautiful, OH replied on 07-12-2008 09:22PM [Reply]

ashgilly wrote:
I really appreciates all of the feedback. . . very much needed. . . Now, I must question it a little bit more. . . How beautiful/or not so beautiful is the campus? How are the dorms? How does Spelman interact with the other AUC schools? Life on campus? Free time things to do? Food? Parties? (I shall live my college experience to the fullest!!!)
I don't attend yet, but I've talked to alot of students The campus is beautiful, but the area outside of the gates is not that great The housing is not the best. All freshman dorms besides LLCI don't have AC. Everyone takes pride in their dorm. There's a strong sisterhood in the freshman dorms. HH Phi Beta and Manley Omega Nu have a little beef lol. I've heard that Spelman and Clark girls don't get along , but hopefully that'll change a bit. The food in the cafeteria is pretty bad, but your in atlanta so you'll have plenty of places to go eat if you get tired of the same ole thing in the caf. There's plenty of things to do during your free time. People go adventure around Atlanta and hang out with their friends in the AUC My hostess said that there are parties EVERY weekend. There are shuttles that take students from the AUC to local clubs. Some students even have their own party promotion companies ie Hittsquad, YRD,
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
ashgilly from Gallatin, TN replied on 07-12-2008 11:02PM [Reply]
I know this is a random question, but which AUC college was Drumline taped on? Anyways, thanks for the input on the campus. . . seems like something I can deal with/get used to! lollllll @ the beefs. . . why does Spelman and CAU girls not clash too well?!. . .hm all in all, besides the no AC, it sounds lovely.
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
hb412 from Beautiful, OH replied on 07-13-2008 12:30AM [Reply]

ashgilly wrote:
I know this is a random question, but which AUC college was Drumline taped on? Anyways, thanks for the input on the campus. . . seems like something I can deal with/get used to! lollllll @ the beefs. . . why does Spelman and CAU girls not clash too well?!. . .hm all in all, besides the no AC, it sounds lovely.
Drumline was filmed at CAU. Random Fact: The campus at the beginning of the show A Different World is Spelman. Spelman's campus is small but it's absolutely beautiful. The beefs made me laugh too. There are stereotypes about each school in the AUC. Spelmanites are rumored to be snobbish and the CAU girls are rumored to be ghetto. I have a friend who goes to CAU, I highly doubt I'll stop talking to her b/c she goes to CAU lol. I'm trying to bring AUC Unity to the class of 2012 lol.
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
akeem18 from New Orleans, LA replied on 07-13-2008 01:31PM [Reply]

hb412 wrote:
Drumline was filmed at CAU. Random Fact: The campus at the beginning of the show A Different World is Spelman. Spelman's campus is small but it's absolutely beautiful. The beefs made me laugh too. There are stereotypes about each school in the AUC. Spelmanites are rumored to be snobbish and the CAU girls are rumored to be ghetto. I have a friend who goes to CAU, I highly doubt I'll stop talking to her b/c she goes to CAU lol. I'm trying to bring AUC Unity to the class of 2012 lol.
right now on facebook seems like we have auc unity for the most part for the class of 2012 we might have a few arguments but nothin big ya know
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
ashgilly from Gallatin, TN replied on 07-13-2008 10:39PM [Reply]
OH MYYYYYYYYY! I had a dream, well a nightmare, that I got straight denied at Spelman! lawdhammercy! God, please don't let my dream come to a reality.
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
Cocoa.ChaneL. replied on 10-23-2008 06:35PM [Reply]
So this thread is so awesome so far. But my application process for Spelman has been not so awesome so far. Okay so about me. - I basically didnt take HS seriously even though I'm pretty genius lol for like my past 3 years -I got a 26 on my ACT the first time -- i want a 29 ( i can get it) - I have over 300 hours of community service -I'm the President of my chapter of Top Teens of America - I am SUPER active in school church & my community Since I've been applying to schools I basically put together a resume of all of my activities honors scores and grades.... Spelman is my dream school & last week i went to a college fair where i knew they would be. I explained how my GPA wasnt as high as it should be but how many qualities I have that make up for it ... the admissions rep asked to see my resume flipped through it and went directly to my transcript. THEN She giggled under her breath.... OMG it was SO embarrasing & it making me question my decision to apply ..
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
going_places_504 from new roads, LA replied on 10-23-2008 06:59PM [Reply]

omg im so sorry...now im even more nervous cuz my gpa isnt all that but dont let them intimidate you, maybe they'll respect your honesty...just make sure that your essay is really good...if you dont mind me asking, whats your gpa?
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
Reply To Topic
In order to post a response to this topic, please login below or click here to signup.
Email Address:
Password:
Page 2 of 4 First  < 1234  >  Last
Home > Forums > Interest Groups > HBCU Specific Topics & Concerns > Tha AUC
Sponsored Content Create an Ad
Follow Us!
Link To Us!
Do you have a website? Link to HBCU Connect!