Home > Forums > Interest Groups > Fraternity & Sorority Life
Edit Settings  |  Search Forums
Did You Know? Posted on 07-23-2004
*Choklit*

Let's state facts about the different sororities and fraternities and find out some unknown or known facts....I'll start ( If I 4got u just add on, enlighten me so next time I will know) ~The lovely word DELTA means change (coughs) ~Phi Beta Sigma are the sponsers of The Million Man March ~AKA was the first sorority in the United States organized by Black women to be incorporated. ~Delta Sigma Theta has the most chapters (NPHC) (300+) ~The late Esther Rolle was a lovely lady of Zeta Phi Beta (dayum dayum dayummmm) I loved me some Florida Evans R.I.P ~Civil Rights leader Rosa Parks is a lovely member of Alpha Kappa Alpha ~Calvin Murphy (NBA Hall of Famer) is an Iota ~Current Miss America Erica Dunlap is a lady of Delta Sigma Theta ~Rick James is a member of Phi Beta Sigma ( i'm Rick James beeeoottch) ~60% of all Black Male Doctors are Alpha Men ~The greatest basketball player of all time Michael Jordan is an Omega ~Ladies all over the world loved Wilt Chamberlin Kappa style...
  [Reply]
Page 8 of 14 First  < 1234567891011121314  >  Last
Pretty Kitty from landover hills, MD replied on 07-30-2004 08:11AM [Reply]

Oo~InFeRnO~oO wrote:
^^ what's the "P"? (I know it was an i'gnant question, but someone had to ask it.. mabe it stands for invisble People..)
People Zetas Helping Other People Excel
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
Pretty Kitty from landover hills, MD replied on 07-30-2004 08:12AM [Reply]

DreamGirl1908 wrote:
For the reading impaired:
DreamGirl1908 wrote:
Oo~InFeRnO~oO wrote:
B-Will2K5 wrote:
The 22 founding members of Delta Sigma Theta were orignally fully initiated members of Alpha Kappa Alpha.
Are you sure? cuz I was sure that they weren't...
:arrow: 9 of the 22 founding members of Delta Sigma Theta were fully initiated members of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. It has been said that their influence to 'change' came from the men of Omega Psi Phi, I am still researching this for clarity((only because I LOVE history 8) )) :arrow: DST's first project was participation in the Women's Suffragette March of 1913 :arrow: Members of Alpha Kappa Alpha openly defied the Howard University administration and also participated in this march, for those who wanna know where we were when it happened, we were definitely there :wink: :arrow: Alpha Kappa Alpha and Delta Sigma Theta are bound as "sister" organizations. :arrow: Skee-Ooop is a community-service based organization consisting of members of Alpha Kappa Alpha and Delta Sigma Theta. :arrow: There is a huge misconception that the 22 founding members of DST were also the founders of AKA. Our founders had long moved on to AKA graduate chapters before DST was ever even founded. :arrow: Ethel Hedgemen, the driving force behind the founding of AKA, married her childhood sweetheart George Lyle, a charter member of Beta Chapter(Howard U) Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. :arrow: Frogs are in no way associated with AKA :roll: We have no official symbol besides the ivy leaf---no animals. :arrow: Delta Sigma Theta is the largest BGLO with over 200,000 members Be back with more 8)
:arrow:
I think she was talkin about the Constitutionally bound part that she was trying to clear up. I think the rest was just for clarity for the others
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
Trauma_Unit14 replied on 07-30-2004 10:39AM [Reply]
DreamGirl1908 wrote:
Trauma_Unit14 wrote:
I don't know what the AKA Constitution states, but there is no official bond with Alpha Kappa Alpha mentioned in the Delta Sigma Theta Constitution. There may be a historical bond, based on the founding of my wonderful sisterhood. But trust me when I tell you all that we are not constitutionally bound to any other organizations. Even our bond with the bruhs is historical. Not all Deltas recognize Coleman Love. Some even detest it. I personally love and respect our bruhs. I acknowledge the bond, and so do the other ladies in my chapter. But again, for the record, Delta Sigma Theta does not recognize or have a constitutional bond with Alpha Kappa Alpha. I don't know who started this rumor, but I ask any soror to direct me to the mentioning of such a bond in our Constitution. I have read it backwards and forwards, and have yet to see it mentioned. I even asked about the origins of this while in Vegas, and some older sorors told me that it sounds to them like somebody really wants to be affiliated with Delta in any way they can. It turned into a really cute joke.
*~deep sigh*~ Here we go again. I swear you need to go back online. I'm not gonna go through this again with you, you are very uninformed. That is all I can say :arrow:
I am not uninformed. I read my Constitution. You are not mentioned. I asked knowledgable, older sorors. They laughed, and assured me that it wasn't true. It was never written in any of our official books, nor any of our other material. I am not here to argue with you about it. I am just stating the facts. Like I said before, I don't know what your Constitution states, but mine does not mention your organization. So if we are bound as you say, by a Constitution, maybe its just yours. I've never seen yours, so I can't comment on it. But mine does not mention AKA at all. As a matter of fact one of our official booklets states that "Delta Sigma Theta, Sorority, Inc. does not have an official sibling relationship with any Greek-letter organization...." [Sorors, you can check page 13 of the "little red book" for verification.]. So I am not just trying to argue with you. I am just stating the facts as they are presented to me and my sorors by our Grand Chapter. The topic of our "Constitutional bond" should be closed, as it does not exist on our end. My process taught that the only Constitutional bond that exists is between the men of Phi Beta Sigma and the ladies of Zeta Phi Beta. Any other bonds between any organizations are just historical.
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
Trauma_Unit14 replied on 07-30-2004 10:48AM [Reply]
DreamGirl1908 wrote:
CORRECTION: According to DST's history, all 22 of their founders are AKAs, but Alpha Kappa Alpha archives will show that only nine of them were actually members of AKA-hence their nine pearls.
That is not where our nine pearls come from. Our nine pearls represents something entirely different. :roll:
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
Trauma_Unit14 replied on 07-30-2004 10:57AM [Reply]
DreamGirl1908 wrote:
*Choklit* wrote:
Let's state facts about the different sororities and fraternities and find out some unknown or known facts....I'll start ( If I 4got u just add on, enlighten me so next time I will know) ~The lovely word DELTA means change (coughs)<--- :lol: ~Delta Sigma Theta has the most chapters (NPHC) (300+) ^^^Is this worldwide or nationwide? Cause worldwide, we have nearly 900 :wink:
Correction: We have more than 300 Chapters in the Southern region alone. We have more than 950 chapters world wide. I forget the exact number, but it definitely over 950. This info can be found on the nation website under the message from our president. And Delta does mean change...in Mathematical equations.
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
Trauma_Unit14 replied on 07-30-2004 11:07AM [Reply]
While, it has been stated that AKA officially recognizes the ivy as an official emblem, did you know that some AKAs collect frogs, mice, and rabbits? Supposedly the frogs are to represent that their organization grows in leaps and bounds. The mice are collected, because supposedly it's the only thing that elephants are afraid of. (lol :lol: ) And rabbits are collected due to the sound it makes when first born. They supposedly make the skee-wee sound when first born.
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
replied on 07-30-2004 02:49PM [Reply]
^^WOW....ok the frogs I can see.... but mice and rabbits?!?! Thats "different"....
  [Edit] [Delete] [Report Abuse] [Quote]
replied on 07-30-2004 02:54PM [Reply]
Pretty Kitty wrote:
Oo~InFeRnO~oO wrote:
^^ what's the "P"? (I know it was an i'gnant question, but someone had to ask it.. mabe it stands for invisble People..)
People Zetas Helping Other People Excel
Thanx for the clean up...I missed the "P"
  [Edit] [Delete] [Report Abuse] [Quote]
Soundcheck 1898 replied on 07-31-2004 11:44PM [Reply]
Here's some facts about Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia Fraternity of America Inc. Famous Black Sinfonians: Count Basie Duke Ellington Bo Diddly Willaim Dawson Branford Marsalis Ellis L. Marsalis Rubben Studdard Prince
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
replied on 08-01-2004 12:33AM [Reply]
Pretty Kitty wrote:
DreamGirl1908 wrote:
Pretty Kitty wrote:
DreamGirl1908 wrote:
Kappa Delta and Delta Zeta ((two predom. white sororities)) also have pink and green as their official colors.
White Sororities wear any colors
:?
Oh no, i didnt mean it like that, but White sororities wear numerous colors and that cna be just for one organization
The Kappa Deltas and Delta Zetas at my achool wear pink and green as she stated and to Carlene the white pledges at my school didnt wear any letters .. Not sure how true this is for any other school
  [Edit] [Delete] [Report Abuse] [Quote]
Reply To Topic
In order to post a response to this topic, please login below or click here to signup.
Email Address:
Password:
Page 8 of 14 First  < 1234567891011121314  >  Last
Home > Forums > Interest Groups > Fraternity & Sorority Life
Sponsored Content Create an Ad
Follow Us!
Link To Us!
Do you have a website? Link to HBCU Connect!