Home > Forums > Interest Groups > Educational Issues & Concerns
Edit Settings  |  Search Forums
BLACK ENTERTAINMENT= BUFFOONERY????? Posted on 01-28-2004

Mr. Howard
New Orleans, LA
WE HAD TO DISCUSS THIS IN CLASS TODAY. THE TOPIC WAS DO YOU FEEL THAT BLACK ENTERTAINMENT MEANING MOSTLY COMEDY IS MAKING THE ENTERTAINERS OUT TO BUFFOONS. AN EXAMPLE WAS MARTIN'S SHOW (BEST SHOW EVER), HOW HE I GUESS ACTED CRAZY AND JUST OFF THE WALL. AND HOW COAL WAS ACTIN DUMB ALL THE TIME. WELL I FEEL THAT SOMETIMES ENTERTAINERS PUSH IT TO A BUFFOONERY LEVEL BUT ITS JUST ENTERTAINMENT. THEY HAVE A FLYER AT HOWARD SAYING TO BOYCOTT BET. CUZ IT SAYS THERE IS MORE TO BLACKS THAN WHAT YOU SEE ON BET. THIS IS TRUE BUT SHOULD WE NOT SUPPORT BLACKS IN WHAT EVER THEY DO. WE ARE THE ONLY RACE THAT DOESNT SUPPORT OUR ON RACE. INSTEAD OF SAYING IM NOT GONNA WATCH THAT ENTERTAINER BECAUSE HE IS MAKING BLACKS LOOK BAD, WE SHOULD BE LIKE IM GONNA SUPPORT HIM REGARDLESS. WE DONT SUPPORT FAMOUS BLACK PEOPLE AND GO SEE THEM SPEAK, WE DONT SUPPORT BLACK ARTIST AND BUY THERE MUSIC, WE DONT GO SEE BLACK MOVIES LIKE WE SHOULD. I THINK BLACKS CAN BE MORE SELFISH THAN OTHER RACES. AND THIS IS WHY I THINK WE ARENT DOING AS WELL AS OTHER RACES. HOW DO YOU FEEL? IF YOU DONT WANT TO RESPOND YOU DONT HAVE TO.
  [Reply]
Page 2 of 6 First  < 123456  >  Last
Loverboy replied on 01-30-2004 04:02PM [Reply]
True, you can't change anything unles you get involved. So elevating our position in the media would be a critical step forward. However, you also have to consider that our society is still about the almighty $. BET still has to make money as well, otherwise there will be no station to represent blacks at all. So they still have to show the music videos because it's popular. The best we can hope for is that the leaders at BET begin to make some changes so that we can be seen in a positive light.
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
Mr. Howard from New Orleans, LA replied on 01-30-2004 04:08PM [Reply]

Loverboy wrote:
True, you can't change anything unles you get involved. So elevating our position in the media would be a critical step forward. However, you also have to consider that our society is still about the almighty $. BET still has to make money as well, otherwise there will be no station to represent blacks at all. So they still have to show the music videos because it's popular. The best we can hope for is that the leaders at BET begin to make some changes so that we can be seen in a positive light.
THANK YOU
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
PrinceMannyX from columbus, OH replied on 01-30-2004 04:34PM [Reply]

Gateseeker wrote:
B.E.T. is us, no matter what you say. We party like the videos, black woman are materialistic like free; Big gurls act like Ms. Parker (and thats not a bad thing); College Hill, immitates my life; BET new, is Biased; BET sports, Joe Claire is a fool :lol: ; Uncut is the late night freak (check out that "tip drill" nelly) and BET is saved on sundays, just like us. Its up to us to change it. Lets start a petition for better programming that represents us as a whole. 1 agape :x
Hotep, I can see that you have been Brainwashed. Prince...(us) that's inclusive and it doesn't apply to many of US
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
replied on 01-30-2004 05:17PM [Reply]
PrinceMannyX wrote:
Gateseeker wrote:
B.E.T. is us, no matter what you say. We party like the videos, black woman are materialistic like free; Big gurls act like Ms. Parker (and thats not a bad thing); College Hill, immitates my life; BET new, is Biased; BET sports, Joe Claire is a fool :lol: ; Uncut is the late night freak (check out that "tip drill" nelly) and BET is saved on sundays, just like us. Its up to us to change it. Lets start a petition for better programming that represents us as a whole. 1 agape :x
Hotep, I can see that you have been Brainwashed. Prince...(us) that's inclusive and it doesn't apply to many of US
Thanx Manny for replying to that one. BET does showcase and exploit SOME aspects of African American culture, bu not ALL aspects. There are black educators, doctors and lawyers that go unoticed because BET would rather add to the overall **** of Blacks as a whole by radiating our "cultural filth" on the constant. I stopped watching the network a couple of months ago. I found entertainment in the programming, but I feel that the network could use more of its money to "glamourize" the more positive aspects of Black America, rather than just showing 12 year old black girls how to do the chicken head or provide little black boys with "exemplary" male role models like Jay-Z or Lil John, seeing as how a lot of us only live with our moms!
  [Edit] [Delete] [Report Abuse] [Quote]
d.blaze replied on 01-30-2004 05:27PM [Reply]
BET is entertainment tho so i'll hafta disagree wit every1 i think that although it could use some more shows( which they seem 2 be workin on) itz generally alright( lol didn't say aiight this time) i mean really i'm lookin for entertainment from BET just like wit MTV and VH1....itz not B Informative television...if i want that i'll push in roots or sum'n however wut would be ideal if it didn't mean BET spendin' more money (which it does so it won't happen)IS>> you have programmin as regular(maybe more shows like i said) BUT on sundayz they could have the black history, political issues and other various black interest that everyone else who posted seem 2 want thatz just my 2 cents tho :wink: :arrow:
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
Mr. Howard from New Orleans, LA replied on 01-30-2004 05:49PM [Reply]

dblaze wrote:
BET is entertainment tho so i'll hafta disagree wit every1 i think that although it could use some more shows( which they seem 2 be workin on) itz generally alright( lol didn't say aiight this time) i mean really i'm lookin for entertainment from BET just like wit MTV and VH1....itz not B Informative television...if i want that i'll push in roots or sum'n however wut would be ideal if it didn't mean BET spendin' more money (which it does so it won't happen)IS>> you have programmin as regular(maybe more shows like i said) BUT on sundayz they could have the black history, political issues and other various black interest that everyone else who posted seem 2 want thatz just my 2 cents tho :wink: :arrow:
B INFORMATIVE TELEVISION THATS FUNNY AS HELL
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
replied on 01-30-2004 06:00PM [Reply]
Personally I think Bet's programming ****... They managed to cut off all original programs even before Viacom took it over... I miss Teen Summit, my and my folks used to watch it every Saturday, and Travis Smiley!!!. All I watch now is Hey Monie, Rap City, and Madd Sports, if I got time... Bet News does every once in a while deliver some relevent news, but is usually aleast a week late and how much news can you fit in 30 - all them damn commericals. But honestly, College Hill has the potiential to be half decent, if they don't focus it just that Kinda girl... but hey, that mix of people reminds me of dorm life. Maybe if Bet had some competion they would step it up. And hopefully there will be more then just one channel for Blacks. I mean the hispanic community is holding it down with Univision, Telemundo and all the others. Why settle for Bet as it is? But really they should at least bring back Teen Summit, the Center is lame....
  [Edit] [Delete] [Report Abuse] [Quote]
MissHU08 replied on 01-30-2004 09:03PM [Reply]
i don't know if yall have mbc but it seems to be okay. i've only watched it a few times so i could be wrong.... but like otha people said... I stopped watchin bet a few months ago. i did however watch the first episode of college hill(only cuz of the hype and my mans goes there) and i was disappointed. I expected so much more... i think that if instead of jus fussin about it we do somthin about it, because although you mite boycott bet there are twice as many who watch and support it 100%. howard likes to take ova the A buildin... take ova bet <-- nah jus playin but seriously, more needs to be done, in order to make a difference.
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
Punk'd replied on 01-31-2004 01:16AM [Reply]
u no, i just remembered that there used to be a drama series filled with a mostly black cast... it failed miserably cuz no one watched it despite the show actually being good... what does that tell you :?
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
BrownSugar from Columbus, OH replied on 01-31-2004 02:34PM [Reply]

^^^ What show was that?
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
Reply To Topic
In order to post a response to this topic, please login below or click here to signup.
Email Address:
Password:
Page 2 of 6 First  < 123456  >  Last
Home > Forums > Interest Groups > Educational Issues & Concerns
Sponsored Content Create an Ad
Follow Us!
Link To Us!
Do you have a website? Link to HBCU Connect!