Home > Forums > Interest Groups > HBCU Specific Topics & Concerns
Edit Settings  |  Search Forums
Is it hard to get in Howard? Posted on 11-18-2004
elisa9047

I was wondering if it was hard to get in howard university b/c that is my 1st choice for college. The thing is I'm not the most perfect student. So far I've stayed at a 2.5 g.p.a in high school and I was never involved in that many extracurricular activities. Plus my grades are really bad and I still haven't taken the ACT (not taking SAT). I can apply myself hard it's just my procrastination and laziness. So what do ya'll think and was it hard for y'all?
  [Reply]
Page 4 of 5 First  < 12345  >  Last
deedeja replied on 11-23-2007 09:48PM [Reply]
e_ashworthkerry_e wrote:
Um...ok. I'm a sophmore in high school and I'm most definitely not the perfect student. My freshman year my GPA was a .68 ...(Yeah, please don't clown...I already feel bad enough about it) with no extra curricular activities, and no AP classes. I was too busy having fun, that I didn't think about what the results would be and how I would have to pay for it later. But this year I'm really trying hard ... My GPA is a 3.1 and I'm in Choir. My first choice of college is Howard University, but I'm scared I've already ruined my chances.. Fortunately, I do VERY well on standardized testing. (Perfect scores on the ITBS's and ITED's in almost every section) So do you guys think I'll get in of I get a perfect score on the ACT/SAT, join a few more clubs, try to get my GPA up to a 3.5 for the rest of this year and the rest of my High School career? I want to major in Psychology and minor French. Please reply to this I need answers ASAP. I need to know if I have a chance so I can start bustin' my ass in school now. Or if I don't have a chance so I can just say "F*** it". The best way to reach me is through email. [EMAIL="SincerelyKerri@yahoo.com"]SincerelyKerri@yahoo.com[/EMAIL] ...I'm new to this site, by the way...!! Hi everybody!
well i applied to howard so i don't know whether i've been accepted or not but i will say this you have an advantage right now because of the grade you're in . you 3.1 is good don't stop get it as high as you can so u can qualify for scholarship money. getting in is half of the battle. from some of the books i've read it your acceptance may depend on what the college needs sad as it is. i know one girl from only go into chapel hill nc because they needed a in their choir and also apply early to the schools that are on the top of your list. I got lucky because i gonna apply to howard early but they extended the early admissions deadline so i got it in just in time.
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
replied on 11-23-2007 10:01PM [Reply]
Thank you so much. That makes me feel a lot better. Because I went on "Yahoo Answers" and I've become VERY discouraged. Do you think I could be rejected because of my freshman year? ...A .68 is kind of pathetic. I'm gunna try to get a 4.0 and take some AP courses so my GPA will be a little higher when it's time for me to graduate. I hope to God I get accepted.
  [Edit] [Delete] [Report Abuse] [Quote]
deedeja replied on 11-23-2007 10:39PM [Reply]
e_ashworthkerry_e wrote:
Thank you so much. That makes me feel a lot better. Because I went on "Yahoo Answers" and I've become VERY discouraged. Do you think I could be rejected because of my freshman year? ...A .68 is kind of pathetic. I'm gunna try to get a 4.0 and take some AP courses so my GPA will be a little higher when it's time for me to graduate. I hope to God I get accepted.
well colleges look for progression so all u can do is go up
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
replied on 11-23-2007 10:43PM [Reply]
^^^^Thanks!^^^^^
  [Edit] [Delete] [Report Abuse] [Quote]
t2dakwont replied on 11-28-2007 06:37PM [Reply]
e_ashworthkerry_e wrote:
Thank you so much. That makes me feel a lot better. Because I went on "Yahoo Answers" and I've become VERY discouraged. Do you think I could be rejected because of my freshman year? ...A .68 is kind of pathetic. I'm gunna try to get a 4.0 and take some AP courses so my GPA will be a little higher when it's time for me to graduate. I hope to God I get accepted.
my suggestion. make sure u actually do good on those AP tests cuz not only will they help boost ur gpa and possibly save u money for classes but if u take it and fail then...well, its a wasted cause. i took AP Lit and Aced the class but bombed on the test (man it was hard as hell). i still got into all of my schools but i would just suggest that u try to do good on the test, especially if ur paying for it. luckily i didnt have to pay so i figured it wouldnt hurt to take it anyways. hope that helps a bit
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
replied on 11-28-2007 07:01PM [Reply]
t2dakwont wrote:
my suggestion. make sure u actually do good on those AP tests cuz not only will they help boost ur gpa and possibly save u money for classes but if u take it and fail then...well, its a wasted cause. i took AP Lit and Aced the class but bombed on the test (man it was hard as hell). i still got into all of my schools but i would just suggest that u try to do good on the test, especially if ur paying for it. luckily i didnt have to pay so i figured it wouldnt hurt to take it anyways. hope that helps a bit
Second semester I'll be taking AP Psychology and AP Human (Whatever that is...) Do you think they'll be hard? And how much will it boost my GPA? ...Because I really need it.
  [Edit] [Delete] [Report Abuse] [Quote]
t2dakwont replied on 11-28-2007 07:13PM [Reply]
is it Human Anatomy? well, i know some of my friends took AP Bio and the highest earned was a 3. those tests arent anything to mess with and im going to be honest with u. if u dont think u can get a good grade out of that class u should drop it because AP classes are about 2 points higher than regular courses. for example, say u take bio. well, an AP C is like a regular A but since ur not in a regulars class its not really helpin u boost that gpa. u **** up in AP classes and u could do more damage then good. also, colleges really dont like seeing people takin AP courses and 1 - failing the class and 2 - scoring low on the test. so yeah it should be challenging because if its an AP class then its supposed to be more work because its pretty much college level thinking cuz remember that if u do good on the AP test then u are excused from whatever class it is at your desired college (IF AND ONLY IF they take that credit, so check on that). have u ever considered takin College Bridge classes? i dont know if they offer it at your school but im from the Chi and through that program i earned 2 college english credits and 2 college psych credits by going to college downtown during my junior year of highschool. that makes ur transcript look damn good
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
replied on 11-28-2007 07:39PM [Reply]
t2dakwont wrote:
is it Human Anatomy? well, i know some of my friends took AP Bio and the highest earned was a 3. those tests arent anything to mess with and im going to be honest with u. if u dont think u can get a good grade out of that class u should drop it because AP classes are about 2 points higher than regular courses. for example, say u take bio. well, an AP C is like a regular A but since ur not in a regulars class its not really helpin u boost that gpa. u **** up in AP classes and u could do more damage then good. also, colleges really dont like seeing people takin AP courses and 1 - failing the class and 2 - scoring low on the test. so yeah it should be challenging because if its an AP class then its supposed to be more work because its pretty much college level thinking cuz remember that if u do good on the AP test then u are excused from whatever class it is at your desired college (IF AND ONLY IF they take that credit, so check on that). have u ever considered takin College Bridge classes? i dont know if they offer it at your school but im from the Chi and through that program i earned 2 college english credits and 2 college psych credits by going to college downtown during my junior year of highschool. that makes ur transcript look damn good
Wow. Thanks for that info, I'll think more about taking that class. What about AP Psychology? ...Do you think it'll be just as hard? We have that exact some thing here, except for they call it "Central Campus".. I really wanted to do that too. ..But they don't provide transportation, and it's waaayyy downtown from my school. I don't have a way there and If I caught a bus it would take about 2 hours. No one at my school really does it, ...It's mostly just the schools in that area. I don't really care if they don't take the credit, I'm just trying to get a better GPA to graduate with, you know? My freshman year it was a .68 and I REALLY need to make up for that. Ok, right now my GPA is a 3.5 ...If I were taking an AP class right now and I was getting a B ...how much would that "up" my GPA?
  [Edit] [Delete] [Report Abuse] [Quote]
replied on 12-16-2007 01:19PM [Reply]
Man I'm nervous as anything about my application .. will I be accpted, waitlisted, or just plain old denied! Does anyone know if it's hard to get into the journalism program? Haven't heard much here. I know when I went to the Fall Open House they said the essay was crucial! So I proofread it my friend who writes for a newspaper and two HU journalism majors so hopefully my essay was on point! Oh and by the by ... it really does matter the program you apply to because that school evaluates your application. I'm guessing if you go in undecided since no specific school is looking at your grades they're just looking for potential. So e_ashworthykerry no stresses esp since you have plenty of time ... my freshman year sucked also as did most of my sophomore year and I wrote about those problems in my essay! GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE esp those like me lookin to be c/o 2012
  [Edit] [Delete] [Report Abuse] [Quote]
theTRUTH replied on 12-16-2007 05:36PM [Reply]
Diamond08 wrote:
I'm guessing if you go in undecided since no specific school is looking at your grades they're just looking for potential.
If you apply as an Undecided major you will automatically be placed in the College of Arts & Sciences. So yeah, your application is evaluated right along with everyone elses...
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
Reply To Topic
In order to post a response to this topic, please login below or click here to signup.
Email Address:
Password:
Page 4 of 5 First  < 12345  >  Last
Home > Forums > Interest Groups > HBCU Specific Topics & Concerns
Sponsored Content Create an Ad
Follow Us!
Link To Us!
Do you have a website? Link to HBCU Connect!