Home > Forums > Interest Groups > Educational Issues & Concerns
Edit Settings  |  Search Forums
PWI vs HBCU Posted on 04-12-2004
Spelmanlady08

I have heard much debate about PWIs giving a better education than HBCUs. I am here to lay this thought to rest. Below are several reasons why HBCUs are the right choice for people of color. My mentor attended and graduated from Spelman College (class 0f 2003). However, while at Spelman, she attended several prestigious PWIs including GA Tech, Emory, Stanford, etc. for summer programs in Physics. When she first arrived, many people thought she would not be able to compete on their level because she was a black woman. However, at each program she finished above everyone else. This shows that HBCUs can stand against and PWI, its the person not the school. My mentor also told me of several friends that went to PWI that were being harassed on campus for their skin color. Once she told me about one of her black male friends who was walking from the library to his dorm on UGA or Emory's campus, and was stopped by the campus police who claimed that he was a trespasser. He showed them his ID,and the still did not believe him. He had to bring someone up to the security building to claim him. Can you say :x ? Furthermore, my friend's mother attended Harvard during undergrad. She explained that at these prestigious schools, professors seem to treat blacks differently, like they are unable to compete on the level of a Caucasian person. In addition, a couple of years ago, Emory produced a research claiming that people of color are unable to learn as fast and as much as Caucasian people because are brain sizes are smaller. However, the most apalling thing is that no person of color at the school contested this allegation . Who would want to endorse a school that tries to prove that you can't make it? I want to say that HBCUs get a rep for not truly preparing us for the world, but I bet every person on this site can name at least one person who has proven those odds wrong. HBCUs challenge people of color because they know that it will be twice as heard for us to compete, and they want us to go in to the world headstrong and ready for anything. So when someone tells you that a HBCU can't compete with a PWI, and they try to name all these famous people from PWIs, you come back and tell them what people of color are doing and that they came from a prestigious HBCU where perfection is demanded and perfection is produced, i.e ME!!!
  [Reply]
Page 3 of 5 First  < 12345  >  Last
starsuga82 replied on 07-29-2004 01:50AM [Reply]
That was some good info Spelmanlady08
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
replied on 10-03-2004 02:06PM [Reply]
I know this topic is old, but I found each comment highly interesting and both sides of the debate helps with my decision.
  [Edit] [Delete] [Report Abuse] [Quote]
Deuce_214 from Tallahassee, FL replied on 10-03-2004 09:07PM [Reply]

bebeygirl wrote:
I know this topic is old, but I found each comment highly interesting and both sides of the debate helps with my decision.
glad I could help
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
ThatClassyGirl216 replied on 10-12-2004 07:09PM [Reply]
MsDee07 wrote:
All i gotta say is HBCU's and PWI's aint for everybody. Each person is different-and for one a HBCU fits their needs and for another person a PWI fits their needs. Right now VCU fits my needs even though my original plan was to go to Howard. But i am happy with my choice and couldnt see myself at no other school right now. :wink:
Cosigns...originally I thought an HBCU was for me...but then I came here to Hampton and I found that I appreciate diversity more than others...I don't mind holdin it down for tha black ppl all by myself...once u are used to it, it isn't so intimidating as everyone thinks. Yea there are things that you only learn at an HBCU and just in this short time I have learned alot...but I feel that a PWI is cool wit me...but at tha same time I will never down Hampton...it's one of the best schools you can attend, if u can get past tha administration and the other parts but like ppl have said, it is not for everyone...like it is not for me...
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
ManofMorehouse007 from Atlanta, GA replied on 10-19-2004 12:14PM [Reply]

Mr.228 wrote:
i am leaving an HBCU and going to a PWI 1. education shouldnt be "tailored" to a specific race 2. there is no HBCU in this world that has its financial ****together... and they all have trifling financial aid offices.. if i contact DUKE today about financial aid, i will get a response tomorrow. 3. lets be real...its sad to say...but a DUKE degree (in this white world) is more valued than a degree from lets say, Xavier or FAMU 4. the "black experience"..hmmm lets see.. fights at step shows, shootings at club.. yea ima miss those days...what i am sayin is that everything i did at an HBCU... i can also do at a PWI (chill on the yard wit black people, go to step shows, go to black parties, etc.)..white schools offer the same things as black schools do...they are greek orgs, and cultural clubs 5. dont get me wrong, i have plenty of respect for HBCUs, they are much more fun than PWI...but i guess its a matter of what u major in... it is known that HBCUs are better with the maths and sciences because the 2 are universal concepts... but in the englishes and liberal arts, they are not because they tend to lean more towards black culture (i.e. the african american literature classes, the AFAM history classes are good, but they are emphasized too heavily)...as an english major i need more..plus i can take AFAM at white schools too. 6. PS- u cant get minority scholarships at HBCUs lol 7. i am basing this on a lot of stuff... family members who have attend FAMU, CLARK, MOREHOUSE, AND VUU have had the same problems. 8. people forget that PWIs do have black faculty members and students.. some PWIs have more black people than black colleges do... so that whole thing about "wanting to be taught by black people" is absurd... there are black teachers at white schools believe it or not. 9. wit all this being said... anybody who goes to NCCU lemme know what it is like cuz ima prollly be chillin there erday i value my experiences at xavier, but i realized to get where i wanna go in life, i need to step outside my boundaries for a minute... but pleez beleeve my children will be attending HBCUs
I have to disgree seeing as though my father is a prof. @ MIT and very **** off I decided to attend the college he left after his freshman year. I have been attending summer classes @ MIT since highschool. the education that you recieve is not different in terms of academics. The worth of an college education is determined mainly by your experience. Some of my african-american friends that attend the IVY's and PWI's hate it of the experience is a bad one. Some do enjoy it but they are only about education. The "black experience" @ PWI's will probably not be the same but there **** rate will be sky high. (black people aren't the only one who get shoot @ college) White people just shoot over Football games not stepshows. I came to an HBCU to experience our culture - will have plenty of time to experience theirs when I get un the workforce
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
Deuce_214 from Tallahassee, FL replied on 10-19-2004 08:22PM [Reply]

ManofMorehouse007 wrote:
Mr.228 wrote:
i am leaving an HBCU and going to a PWI 1. education shouldnt be "tailored" to a specific race 2. there is no HBCU in this world that has its financial ****together... and they all have trifling financial aid offices.. if i contact DUKE today about financial aid, i will get a response tomorrow. 3. lets be real...its sad to say...but a DUKE degree (in this white world) is more valued than a degree from lets say, Xavier or FAMU 4. the "black experience"..hmmm lets see.. fights at step shows, shootings at club.. yea ima miss those days...what i am sayin is that everything i did at an HBCU... i can also do at a PWI (chill on the yard wit black people, go to step shows, go to black parties, etc.)..white schools offer the same things as black schools do...they are greek orgs, and cultural clubs 5. dont get me wrong, i have plenty of respect for HBCUs, they are much more fun than PWI...but i guess its a matter of what u major in... it is known that HBCUs are better with the maths and sciences because the 2 are universal concepts... but in the englishes and liberal arts, they are not because they tend to lean more towards black culture (i.e. the african american literature classes, the AFAM history classes are good, but they are emphasized too heavily)...as an english major i need more..plus i can take AFAM at white schools too. 6. PS- u cant get minority scholarships at HBCUs lol 7. i am basing this on a lot of stuff... family members who have attend FAMU, CLARK, MOREHOUSE, AND VUU have had the same problems. 8. people forget that PWIs do have black faculty members and students.. some PWIs have more black people than black colleges do... so that whole thing about "wanting to be taught by black people" is absurd... there are black teachers at white schools believe it or not. 9. wit all this being said... anybody who goes to NCCU lemme know what it is like cuz ima prollly be chillin there erday i value my experiences at xavier, but i realized to get where i wanna go in life, i need to step outside my boundaries for a minute... but pleez beleeve my children will be attending HBCUs
I have to disgree seeing as though my father is a prof. @ MIT and very **** off I decided to attend the college he left after his freshman year. I have been attending summer classes @ MIT since highschool. the education that you recieve is not different in terms of academics. The worth of an college education is determined mainly by your experience. Some of my african-american friends that attend the IVY's and PWI's hate it of the experience is a bad one. Some do enjoy it but they are only about education. The "black experience" @ PWI's will probably not be the same but there **** rate will be sky high. (black people aren't the only one who get shoot @ college) White people just shoot over Football games not stepshows. I came to an HBCU to experience our culture - will have plenty of time to experience theirs when I get un the workforce
so true
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
replied on 10-19-2004 09:52PM [Reply]
I go to UNC-Chapel Hill. At the beginning I cried because I wanted to go to a HBCU. But the thing was I did get out and get involved. So I dried my eyes and got involved. I like going to Carolina, My school is somewhat diverse. I know 10 white people names(I'm not going to call them out because I need consent first.) But I do notice at noon everyday ALL the blacks come out and stand in front of the cafe. We are still divided. I am getting tired of some white people being afraid of me because they bump into me on accident, or when I express a different opinion then theirs. I also don't like the fact that we have limited African-American courses.
  [Edit] [Delete] [Report Abuse] [Quote]
replied on 12-22-2004 10:37AM [Reply]
To Nahd- I know plenty of people who go to Georgia Southern and do succeed. The problem is that some of the black people who go to Southern didn't do well in high school which in turn leads to nothing but paryting and madness in college. I have to say southern is a party school for blacks whites and latinos.
  [Edit] [Delete] [Report Abuse] [Quote]
boosha from COLUMBIA, SC replied on 12-22-2004 09:43PM [Reply]

In 1997, during my senior year of high school I decided to attend an HBCU because I was a bit enthnocentric at the time, and I desired to learn more. When I got there, I definitely experienced a culture shock by seeing too many non-African American professors. Now I am in pursuit of my PhD from the University of Alaska, where I'm definitely a minority. Here, I'm able to reform my attitude of enthnocentricism to a healthy balance of being pro-black while making a VISUAL difference in our community. An English degree didn't get me one step closer to my goal when I graduated in 2002, so I'm working on balance. :lol: :o :wink:
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
replied on 01-21-2005 05:46PM [Reply]
cinnamocha wrote:
For people who say it's time to stop separating...and who contend that black colleges were created at a time when blacks were separated from whites, and that blacks should get back into a 'real school' ...I see it the same way I would when comparing women's colleges and co-ed colleges. Women's colleges began opening at a time when women were prevented from going to college with men, because they were thought to have substandard learning curves -- the same predicament blacks were in. This lasted well into the 1950s. Over time, many schools went co-ed, but women still had women's colleges, and they still do. Much research is being done on how women achieve at women's colleges, and surveys show that women who attend women's colleges tend to do better in math, science in business fields; they are more likely to get a degree in majors that have higher average earnings; they are more satisfied with their college experiences, have higher self-esteem, and are more involved in philanthropic activities after college. Why? Well, because at women's colleges, the curriculum is specially attuned towards the needs of women. In the classroom, learning styles can be tailored to the needs of women; outside of the classroom, the women have greater models of leaders, because 90 percent of women's colleges have women presidents, and 55 percent of the faculty is made of women. Also, all the student leaders -- president of the SGA, presidents of all the clubs -- are women, and the counseling services are especially tailored towards women. It's the same thing with HBCUs. At an HBCU, the percentage of ethnic faculty and staff members is far greater than is usually found at a PWI. This way, the predominantly black student body can find leaders in their faculties, and also among their students, since all the clubs and stuff are going to be headed up by black people. Just because HBCUs were created at a time when prejudice was all around doesn't mean they are something that needs to be eradicated, just because prejudice and discrimination is suddenly 'over'. I also agree that it isn't necessarily all about the college that you went to but the opportunities and things you put yourself up for. Certainly, I'm going to an HBCU, but that doesn't mean I'm going to be sheltered from the real world. Spelman is a member of the ARCHE, which means I can take classes at Emory, UGA, Agnes Scott, and Georgia State. I can go visit my friends on ASC's campus, my friends on Emory's campus; I can use Emory and ASC's libraries and even take out books. And we all have access to the huge city of Atlanta and beyond. And Spelman has exchange agreements with many PWI, including Wellesley College. Just because I go to an HBCU doesn't mean I won't get the total world experience -- it all depends on what you decide to do.
Amen to that my sista!! you ain't spoke nuthin but a word from tha Lord...
  [Edit] [Delete] [Report Abuse] [Quote]
Reply To Topic
In order to post a response to this topic, please login below or click here to signup.
Email Address:
Password:
Page 3 of 5 First  < 12345  >  Last
Home > Forums > Interest Groups > Educational Issues & Concerns
Sponsored Content Create an Ad
Follow Us!
Link To Us!
Do you have a website? Link to HBCU Connect!