Home > Forums > Interest Groups > Educational Issues & Concerns
Edit Settings  |  Search Forums
I'm not a N*gga!! Posted on 05-05-2004
HU_Intellect

Due to recent post and extreme use of the word I thought that I would make this post. I wrote a novel called "I'm not a n*gga", that explained the history of the word and how it has evolved and the power that it has had on our people. Well the overall purpose of that novel (really short story) was to tell why we shouldn't refer to each other as n*ggas and how it is hypocritical to get mad at another race for using it when you use it everyday. Everybody who knows me knows that I can't stand the word (just ask Wizdom and FAMU_first) I try to protest when ever I hear somebody using it but I find that I am often alone in my thinking and to many people it has just become another word, and it is often too energy consuming. I think there was a post like this before but, HOW DO Y'ALL FEEL ABOUT THE WORD N*GGA!
  [Reply]
Page 5 of 11 First  < 1234567891011  >  Last
replied on 05-07-2004 12:24AM [Reply]
LOL :lol: Excuse my laughter if sum of u find it offensive. I have a question; " How can anyone try n justify a word that was created by the English (European) and say that it's negative or positive?" Sure you've read the definition in the dictionary that white men have created. They have made the words that they wanted to be negative and then taught it us(blacks, asians, r ne race that weren't European). We have just accepted and practiced their teachings and we speak their language so we believe only what they've taught us. When they used the word niggar to mean something hurtful, ignorant, and a way of making us feel bad about ourselves we just accepted it and took it as the onesided meaning they gave us. But now that sum people use it as an endearment towards others 'sum' ppl take it offensivously. Every1 is entitled to their own opinion so i feel if u use it in a positive way then there's nothing wrong wit that. What's so wrong with taking sumthing negative n turning it into sumthing positive? As for white ppl or persons of another race using the word... Yes blacks get mad when they use it but the context of which they use it is not the same. I personally don't use **** in a positive description when i use it i'm describing some1 who is ignorant acting. I say use it how u want.
  [Edit] [Delete] [Report Abuse] [Quote]
HU_Intellect replied on 05-07-2004 12:44AM [Reply]
sTuSweete wrote:
As for white ppl or persons of another race using the word... Yes blacks get mad when they use it but the context of which they use it is not the same.
I beg to differ. I don't think that is at all why black people get offended when people of other races say it. They could be saying it in the most adoring sense and we would still get mad this is one of the main reasons why I don't believe this "we've taken the sting out of the word theory". If we realize that it is just a word and nothing more why is it that we show our faces when a person of another race says it, disreguarding the context in which it is used in :!:
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
HU_Intellect replied on 05-07-2004 12:46AM [Reply]
d.blaze wrote:
i don't think its a hypocritical(sp) move to not let whites use ni99a itz a matter or respect just like i don't call them crackers or spanish ppl **** or chinese **** these r words i understand they get because of their oppresion (esp. the last 2...**** really has no signif. itz kinda wack 2 me) :arrow:
But that is silly if it is just a word and nothing else why shouldn't anybody be able to say it. This is the hypocrisy of our people we want others to respect us withous respecting ourselves.
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
Mr. Chicagosocialite replied on 05-07-2004 01:07AM [Reply]
sTuSweete wrote:
LOL :lol: Excuse my laughter if sum of u find it offensive. I have a question; " How can anyone try n justify a word that was created by the English (European) and say that it's negative or positive?" Sure you've read the definition in the dictionary that white men have created. They have made the words that they wanted to be negative and then taught it us(blacks, asians, r ne race that weren't European). We have just accepted and practiced their teachings and we speak their language so we believe only what they've taught us. When they used the word niggar to mean something hurtful, ignorant, and a way of making us feel bad about ourselves we just accepted it and took it as the onesided meaning they gave us. But now that sum people use it as an endearment towards others 'sum' ppl take it offensivously. Every1 is entitled to their own opinion so i feel if u use it in a positive way then there's nothing wrong wit that. What's so wrong with taking sumthing negative n turning it into sumthing positive? As for white ppl or persons of another race using the word... Yes blacks get mad when they use it but the context of which they use it is not the same. I personally don't use peeps in a positive description when i use it i'm describing some1 who is ignorant acting. I say use it how u want.
Not to be rude or overly critical, but this does not make sense! Perhaps, intellectually Iím not up to par because I do not understand your point. It sounds like you are saying because Europeans are the creators of the universal American language, English, that we (black people or any other race for that matter that does not fall under the category European) are not at liberty to deem a word positive or negative. Please correct me if Iím wrong! Every word has a connotation regardless of its origins or its originators. Yes, everyone is entitled to his or her own interpretation of a word but only to a certain extent. In the vernacular, the word n*gger has negative connotations; itís a disparaging term. So no matter how we try to justify it, it is what it is. This is the truth for every word in every language. Donít get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with taking a negative and making it positive, but this is a rather naive and idealistic way to view things. Black people we need to realize that there is no proper justification for using the word n*gger. I bet a person of a different persuasion would look at these responses and laugh at our self induced degradation. You are right they have given us a word. It essentially refers to us as less than human and instead of discarding it, like idiots we walk around and proudly use it. WOW we must look really intelligent!
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
RevolutionarySistah from Los Angeles, CA replied on 05-07-2004 01:58AM [Reply]

HU_ComeBacKid wrote:
This is the hypocrisy of our people we want others to respect us withous respecting ourselves.
very well said. I think it all goes back to respect. If I respect someone, i would never degrade them by calling them a ni99a. And I don't allow other people to call me that, regardless of what color they are---this includes black people. But, no one answered my question: WHY DO BLACK PEOPLE STILL USE THE WORD NI99A??
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
d.blaze replied on 05-07-2004 09:01AM [Reply]
HU_ComeBacKid wrote:
d.blaze wrote:
i don't think its a hypocritical(sp) move to not let whites use ni99a itz a matter or respect just like i don't call them crackers or spanish ppl **** or chinese ----- these r words i understand they get because of their oppresion (esp. the last 2...**** really has no signif. itz kinda wack 2 me) :arrow:
But that is silly if it is just a word and nothing else why shouldn't anybody be able to say it. This is the hypocrisy of our people we want others to respect us withous respecting ourselves.
I agree i guess....but i'm also agitated by white people sayin bruva...homie...etc. etc. but truth b told if itz not a racist sentiment i really don't care....i just protest them using it because the only other option would b 2 condone it.....*sighs* life often is extreme in one way or another although i guess there is a growin' group that allows white people 2 say ni99A anyway so ehh only a matter of time
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
HU_Intellect replied on 05-08-2004 01:07AM [Reply]
d.blaze wrote:
HU_ComeBacKid wrote:
d.blaze wrote:
i don't think its a hypocritical(sp) move to not let whites use ni99a itz a matter or respect just like i don't call them crackers or spanish ppl **** or chinese ----- these r words i understand they get because of their oppresion (esp. the last 2...**** really has no signif. itz kinda wack 2 me) :arrow:
But that is silly if it is just a word and nothing else why shouldn't anybody be able to say it. This is the hypocrisy of our people we want others to respect us withous respecting ourselves.
I agree i guess....but i'm also agitated by white people sayin bruva...homie...etc. etc. but truth b told if itz not a racist sentiment i really don't care....i just protest them using it because the only other option would b 2 condone it.....*sighs* life often is extreme in one way or another although i guess there is a growin' group that allows white people 2 say ni99A anyway so ehh only a matter of time
Sounds like the slipery slope/ "We already oppressed why try to fight it" falacy. This is the type of thinking we don't need. Don't except it just because others are, if our ancestors would have done that we would still be slaves right now, if our great grand parents would have done that we would still be drinking out of segregated water fountains, if the few strong minded black people do that now, unfortunatly our condition will not get any better and we will continue to have 100 black males going to jail for every one graduating from college, we will continue to have our youth strive for success on the court and field instead of success in the classroom. You see my brotha it is up to us to promote change and the only way we are gonna be able to do that is to think on our own. Sorry bout that didn't mean to preach :arrow:
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
trulyblessed24 replied on 05-18-2004 02:12AM [Reply]
well mr. HU_intellect, yet you've posted up another good topic on here. we've had some great discussion on this famous word "ni**a/ni**er. but truthfully, i don't ever use this word. even when i feel like its comin to the tip of my mouth, i'll stop myself, b/c ill suddenly realize and ask myself..would my ancestors want me sayin this word? nowadays, it seems like the only reason most black peeps say it is b/c others do. its all in the songs we listen to everyday. it has become part of the norm, and it seems like if u dont use the word you're not sharing that "bond" with our fellow black people. but no, i refuse to use a word that was used to oppress us...for what?? you can just as easily share a bond with your black associates w/out using the word. so y cant we stop usin it yall?
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
HU_Intellect replied on 05-18-2004 09:00PM [Reply]
trulyblessed24 wrote:
well mr. HU_intellect, yet you've posted up another good topic on here. we've had some great discussion on this famous word "ni**a/ni**er. but truthfully, i don't ever use this word. even when i feel like its comin to the tip of my mouth, i'll stop myself, b/c ill suddenly realize and ask myself..would my ancestors want me sayin this word? nowadays, it seems like the only reason most black peeps say it is b/c others do. its all in the songs we listen to everyday. it has become part of the norm, and it seems like if u dont use the word you're not sharing that "bond" with our fellow black people. but no, i refuse to use a word that was used to oppress us...for what?? you can just as easily share a bond with your black associates w/out using the word. so y cant we stop usin it yall?
Righteous righteous!!!! :lol:
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
RevolutionarySistah from Los Angeles, CA replied on 05-20-2004 02:25PM [Reply]

how do you guys feel when people who are not black say it around you??
  [Report Abuse] [Quote]
Reply To Topic
In order to post a response to this topic, please login below or click here to signup.
Email Address:
Password:
Page 5 of 11 First  < 1234567891011  >  Last
Home > Forums > Interest Groups > Educational Issues & Concerns
Sponsored Content Create an Ad
Follow Us!
Link To Us!
Do you have a website? Link to HBCU Connect!