Job Title: Sr. Software Devopment Engineer- Site Reliability Team
St. Paul, MN United States
Computers, Software, Construction, Mining and Trades, Engineering, Information Technology, Legal, Manufacturing and Production, Quality Control, Research & Development, Writing/Authoring, Energy / Utilities
Sr. Software Devopment Engineer- Site Reliability Team
Sr. Software Devopment Engineer- Site Reliability Team
Date:Oct 21, 2018
Primary Location:St. Paul, MN, US, 55107
Requisition ID: 27097
provides innovative forecasting and optimization solutions that enable low cost, reliable and sustainable power systems.
Position Specific Description
We are seeking a Senior Software Developer to join our Site Reliability Engineering team to collaborate with project teams to implement resilient, self-healing production systems consisting of both software and infrastructure solutions. This will be accomplished through an understanding of systems and applications as it relates to availability, performance, monitoring, and incident response. This will require an individual to draw upon a diverse set of technical expertise, to include troubleshooting and debug skills, cloud computing, DevOps tooling, coding/scripting and infrastructure engineering to deliver an exceptional always-on environment.
Additionally, the team will provide a view into the health of new and existing production systems to mitigate failures through early detection and constant monitoring. The team will create a monitoring application to aggregate system information for end user consumption. The monitoring application will integrate with current and new applications using JMX, Aspects, and other APIs to collect system health data. The team will leverage the data collected to identify event patterns that will drive decisions to improve the production system’s robustness and availability.
The individual may also need to provide software development support for existing products as required to understand and address root causes from observed failure modes from the SRE prospective.
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
• Understanding of IT Operations and how to apply software engineering across the operational space.
• Ability to work with fault tolerant, highly available, high throughput, distributed, and scalable systems
• Knowledge of monitoring, data processing, analytics, and cloud computing technologies specifically with AWS
• Ability to design/develop/operate large scale distributed applications and infrastructures
• Performs Failure Mode Effects Analysis FMEAs
• Performs destructive, penetration, stress, and performance tests on systems to measure the resilience and quality of the software for improvement opportunities
• Ability to develop in multiple languages to design, implement, and support existing and new software solutions that improves the stability, scalability, availability, and reduces latency of systems
• Ability to build effective monitoring solutions to view the health of production systems
• Works with project teams to refine requirements and integrate industry standard monitoring methodologies (USE and RED) to detect, address, and prevent production failures
• Documents technical requirements and other technical documentation
• Performs other job-related duties as assigned
This position writes and tests software to aid in development and support of products. Individuals in this role work with Technical Leads on software system architecture and service design and typically leads a module in the system. This position participates in required product development process ceremonies. Employees in this role are responsible for writing and refining technical requirements and technical design documentation.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
* Codes in multiple languages in support of software products and the development of software products
* Conducts system testing and codes unit tests and support features
* Documents technical requirement and other technical documentation
* Works with product team to refine product requirements
* Collaborates on high level software design projects and software system architecture and creates effective component level architectures
* Leads software module construction from architecture and design to implementation and may lead a small team of engineers in building the module
* Performs other job-related duties as assigned
* Bachelor’s Degree
* Experience: 7+ years
* Bachelor’s - Engineering
Employee Group: Exempt
Employee Type: Full Time
Job Category: Science, Research, and Technology
Organization: WindLogics Inc
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Other Work Locations: Minnesota
Relocation Provided: Yes, if applicable
NextEra Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, age, national origin, religion, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetics, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace.
If you require special support or accommodation while seeking employment with NextEra Energy, please send an e-mail to, providing your name, telephone number and the best time for us to reach you. Alternatively, you may call 1-844-694-4748 (Option 1, Press 6) between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. EST Monday-Friday. Please do not use this line to inquire about your application status.
NextEra Energy will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
NextEra Energydoes notaccept any unsolicited resumes or referrals fromany third-party recruiting firms or agencies. Please see ourfor more information.
Nearest Major Market:Minneapolis
Job Segment:Sustainability, Power Systems, Energy