Legal, Science, Research & Development, Environmental, Energy / Utilities
Senior Research Scientist
Senior Research Scientist
Date:Aug 31, 2018
Primary Location:St. Paul, MN, US, 55107
Requisition ID: 27663
is the optimization and analytics team for the world’s largest generator of renewable energy from the wind and sun. As part of NextEra Energy, we thrive on creating innovative forecasting and optimization solutions that change the industry for the better.
Position Specific Description
WindLogics is seeking a Senior Research Scientist as part of our energy system R&D team. As a division of NextEra Energy, we own and operate the U.S.-largest fleet of wind, solar, and storage. Energy systems are undergoing a rapid transition in generation, delivery, and control systems, both in terms of technology and customer relationships. We are at the leading edge in developing and dispatching a new breed of integrated resource solutions to utilities, cities and municipalities, and commercial and industrial entities; optimized to deliver benefits (savings, reliability, and reduced greenhouse gas emissions) tailored to the customer’s needs. We look at the inherent complexity of the energy system as an opportunity for those with the ability to envision new business models, backed up by the scientific and mathematical capabilities needed to execute on the vision.
- The position is with the Science team in support of energy systems innovation. The person will participate in and lead small teams engaged in applied research; working on challenging, complex problems in a business setting.
- The person will design and prototype algorithmic solutions to energy related scientific and engineering problems
- The position will advise the Chief Scientist as well as WindLogics and NextEra management on research topics, analytical results, and scientific and energy industry advances. Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required.
- Masters in Physics or related physical science- Required
- PhD in Physics or related physical science – Preferred.
- Background in detailed analysis of complex systems involving large datasets, guided by physically-based conceptual models
- Use of appropriate programming and scripting languages (R, Python, Julia, Fortran, etc.)
- Innate curiosity about nearly everything
- Ability to abstract a problem in such a way as to enable “cross-pollination” utilizing concepts and techniques from other fields
Employees in this role will support the development and operations of our wind and solar generation assets. The role focuses on researching meteorological and climate influences on wind and solar generation, including forecasting techniques and applications. Individuals will provide scientific support to the wind and solar development and operational teams regarding challenges that arise in their workflow.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
* Researches meteorological and climate influences, forecasting techniques, and applications in support of Wind and Solar generation fleets
* Provides data and other findings to support the wind and solar development and operational teams
* Advises the Chief Scientist as well as WindLogics and NextEra management on research topics, analytical results, and industry advances
* Performs other job-related duties as assigned
* Master’s Degree
* Experience: 5+ years
* Doctoral Degree
Employee Group: Exempt
Employee Type: Full Time
Job Category: Science, Research, and Technology
Organization: WindLogics Inc
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Other Work Locations: Minnesota
Relocation Provided: Yes, if applicable
NextEra Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, age, national origin, religion, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetics, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace.
If you require special support or accommodation while seeking employment with NextEra Energy, please send an e-mail to, providing your name, telephone number and the best time for us to reach you. Alternatively, you may call 1-844-694-4748 (Option 1, Press 6) between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. EST Monday-Friday. Please do not use this line to inquire about your application status.
NextEra Energy will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
NextEra Energydoes notaccept any unsolicited resumes or referrals fromany third-party recruiting firms or agencies. Please see ourfor more information.
Nearest Major Market:Minneapolis