Physician Assistant Studies, Assistant Professor/Principal Faculty
This position provides an opportunity for a highly motivated individual, committed to student success, academic excellence and advancement of the PA profession, to join the PA Studies Program at the University of Saint Joseph as an integral component of the team. Working with Program faculty and staff, this individual will assist in the operation of the PA Studies Program, with a focus on teaching and supporting a transformative student experience within a unique modular curriculum during the didactic and clinical phases of the program. The position will require occasional evening and weekend commitments, with advanced notice. The rank for this faculty position will be at the Assistant or Associate level, depending upon experience and credentials.
About the University of Saint Joseph
The University of Saint Joseph, founded by the Sisters of Mercy in the Catholic tradition, provides a rigorous liberal arts and professional education for a diverse student population in an inclusive environment that encourages strong ethical values, personal integrity, and a sense of responsibility to the needs of society.
Ideally situated midway between Boston and New York City, the beautiful 84-acre Olmsted-designed campus is one mile from West Hartford’s thriving downtown, and provides an array of cultural events, occasions for spiritual development, and fitness and recreational options. The University also has an active presence outside our campus, reaching into the surrounding community through internships, community service projects, new program and partnerships.
• Assist in development, implementation, teaching and evaluation of graduate-level didactic and clinical curriculum for the PA Studies Program
• Participate in the development, initiation, and incorporation of an array of engaging pedagogical and teaching methods to diverse learners throughout the curriculum in classroom and laboratory environments
• Develop, deliver and assess objective driven course materials
• Develop student learning competencies required for the successful completion of the Physician Assistant National Certifying Examination (PANCE)
• Assess, advise, evaluate, and remediate students
• Participate in recruiting qualified student applicants throughout all aspects of the admissions process
• Provide supervision and academic counsel to students
• Serve as a small-group facilitator
• Assist PA Studies Program with testing and practical examinations as necessary
• Assist in securing new and maintaining existing clinical sites
• Assist in preparation of accreditation documentation, to include assessment of teaching and learning, programmatic data collection and analysis and preparation of self-study reports
• Attend and participate in annual PA Studies Program evaluation retreat
• Represent the PA Studies Program at university and professional functions
• Participate in scholarship and service activities as assigned and negotiated by the Program Director, as per University/School policies
• Develop a research agenda under the mentorship of the Department Chair and the Associate Provost/Dean of Graduate Studies and Research
Qualifications & Requirements • Terminal degree within field, minimum of Master’s Degree
• If PA/MD/APRN, current board certification and eligibility for licensure in CT
• If a health care provider, a minimum of 3 years clinical experience
• Applicants with doctoral level degree in a basic, pharmaceutical or social science discipline may be considered
• Higher education/academic teaching experience preferred
• Commitment to the mission and Core Values of the University of Saint Joseph
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
• Able to function independently while operating effectively within a team environment
• Possess solid general computer skills, including ability to work in a Windows environment.
• Proficiency with MS Office Suite, Internet, and other programs as needed (e.g., mail merge, data base management)
• Familiarity with specific applications used by the University/Department a plus
• Excellent oral and written skills and ability to communicate comfortably with students, colleagues, and external constituents
• Cultural competency to work with diverse student and/or employee population
• Exhibits a high level of professionalism, leadership, creative problem solving, diplomacy, negotiation and marketing skills, and the ability to self-manage complex projects, seeking direction as needed
• Professional, courteous demeanor and appearance; ability to work professionally with students, faculty, staff and administration and represent the University professionally to the public
• Physical ability to perform essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation
USJ, founded by the Sisters of Mercy, provides a rigorous liberal arts and professional education for a diverse student population while maintaining a strong commitment to developing the potential of women. The main USJ campus is located in beautiful West Hartford with a state-of-the-art facility in downtown Hartford that houses the School of Pharmacy. Hartford, the State capital, is located on the Connecticut River and midway between Boston and New York City and is part of the New England’s “Knowledge Corridor Partnership”. Hartford-Springfield is New England's most populous region after Greater Boston, with approximately 1.7 million residents and 100,000 university students. Hartford and the surrounding areas are ideally located near other major cities, popular beaches and mountains. The area boasts 29 colleges and universities and numerous major hospitals.
Please visit our employer showcase!