Job Title: Senior Scientist - Natural Food Ingredient Development
St. Louis, MO
Advertising/Marketing/Public Relations, Agriculture, Forestry, & Fishing, Legal, Sales, Science, Quality Control, Research & Development
Senior Scientist - Natural Food Ingredient Development
The Global Ingredients and Innovation Partnerships team in Nestle Purina R&D is focused on the identification and development of new ingredients that deliver differentiated functionality and/or NHW benefits in our pet foods, treats and supplements. We do this through global landscaping and identification of supplier/partners, formation of strategic partnerships, and the testing and qualification of new ingredients. We work across regions and functions to help drive business growth across all of our product forms globally.
• Be a subject matter technical expert on natural food and ingredient trends and non-conventional agriculture methodologies, supply chain assessment, and remain up-to-date on agricultural/ingredient industry news.
• Identify and lead forward-thinking research and development projects into natural ingredients and new farming techniques, and understand the implications to pet food.
• Work closely with marketing, procurement and legal to negotiate and form strategic alliances with partner companies, including farms and the farming communities from which ingredients are grown and harvested. Recommend investment opportunities as appropriate.
• Gain alignment and collaborate across functional groups in R&D, Marketing, Procurement, and regional strategy teams to create proposals for new ingredient research and development projects. Lead new ingredient development projects and ensure projects are completed on time and budget.
• Proactively communicate with stakeholders across the organization. Ability and comfort to interact and influence at all levels in the organization and across functions, including at Global Director and VP levels.
• Forge connections with Nestle Research groups in Lausanne, Switzerland as appropriate and share results from research conducted in Nestle Purina in expert communities.
Qualifications & Requirements
• 5-10 years of experience working in an ingredient research, development and qualification role • Strong knowledge, experience, and network in the natural products ecosystem in US and preferably beyond • Combination of strong technical skills and entrepreneurial and business development mindset. • Strong interpersonal skills and collaboration skills, including experience with negotiation. Delivers on commitments. • Willing to travel internationally. Anticipated travel is 30% of time. • Comfortable managing multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment with little supervision. • BS degree in agriculture, agronomy, or food related degree.
SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS PREFERED BUT NOT REQUIRED:
• MS or PhD degree in agriculture, agronomy, or food related degree. MBA is also preferable.