VHB’s growing Transit & Rail Practice is seeking a Railroad Signal Transit Designer to join our Boston, New York City, or Washington DC office. This position requires you to live in or relocate to Boston, NYC, or Washington DC as you will need to be at project sites in and around these metropolitan areas.
WE ARE VHB—a passionate team of engineers, scientists, planners, and designers tackling exciting challenges in the transportation, real estate, institutional, applied technology, and energy industries—serving a range of public- and private-sector clients. At VHB, we are dedicated to improving mobility, enhancing communities, and balancing development and infrastructure needs with environmental stewardship.
- We are creative problem-solvers
- We work hard, and we give back
- We like our colleagues, and we love Mondays (really)
- We are diverse, caring, welcoming, and fun!
VHB has consistently been rated one of the top AEC firms to work for across our 30+ offices on the East Coast. We’re growing, and we hope you’ll join us!
About the Position
Railroad Signal Transit Designer | Boston, NYC, or DC
Skills & Abilities
Be able to understand the following attributes of a North American-based signaling systems:
- Train Control Systems for Light Rail Transit, Heavy Rail Transit, Freight Rail, Commuter Rail, and Intercity Rail and High-speed rail operations.
- Detailed knowledge of vital and non-vital signal electrical circuits.
- Knowledge and understanding of AREMA and IEEE recommendations.
- Wayside and CAB based Signaling systems including, relay and microprocessor based interlockings, switch machines, track circuits, negative return and cross bonding, and/or axle counters circuits.
- Ability to design in accordance with the FRA principles defined in the CFR 49 parts 234-236 relating to vital and non-vital software and to read, understand, and develop and modify electrical circuits.
- Ability to design and modify software systems for Programmable Logic Controllers Vital and Non-Vital Microprocessor based systems.
- Experience with designing “at grade” railroad crossing systems for both constant and fixed warning systems including traffic preemption functions.
- Designing, sizing and developing specifications for Signal Control Systems including power supplies and distribution.
- Perform design calculations, prepare material and equipment specifications, cost estimates, Force Account work scopes, Microsoft project schedules and provide preliminary sketches and notes for drawings.
- Knowledge of office systems involving of computer-based control systems and dispatcher workstations.
- Knowledge of rail-based signal construction installation techniques and standards for heavy and light rail installations
- Minimum of 5 to 10 years’ experience with CFR 49 Parts 234-236, AREMA Signal Manual and Recommendations and IEEE and how they pertain to train control systems.
- Working knowledge of all applications within the Microsoft Office software group.
- Ability to create or revise electronic drawings using AutoCAD and/or MicroStation CAD programs.
- Support the installation, testing and commissioning of rail based signaling, Communications Based Train Control (CBTC) and Positive Train Control (PTC) projects
- Participate in client meetings and project signaling design reviews.
- Participate in factory and construction field reviews, site inspections and commissioning procedures.
- Possess excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Capable of supervising, mentoring and motivating staff members. Ability to travel locally and nationally when required.
- A positive attitude towards teamwork, communication and problem-solving
- BS in Electrical Engineering or related field such as Computer Systems Engineering and 5-10 years’ experience in railroad and/or transit signaling design.
- Experience with signaling standards and practices as it relates to all stages of signaling projects from design to installation and commissioning.
- Proven ability to work in a team environment.
- PE or EIT preferred but not required.
New employees will be onboarded virtually and begin their employment from home. We are in the process of planning for a safe return to the workplace in alignment with government and CDC guidelines.
VHB is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.