Join one of the largest engineering firms in the metro Raleigh-Durham area and help shape VHB's future! Our Raleigh, NC office is seeking an experienced, collaboration-oriented Director of Land Development. In this role, you will develop and manage current and future clients, partners and owners; collaborate with Regional Vice President, Managing Directors and Corporate Leadership on identifying growth opportunities in the region to achieve growth initiatives and overall technical and discipline expansion.
WE ARE VHB—a passionate team of engineers, scientists, planners, and designers tackling exciting challenges in the transportation, real estate, institutional, applied technology, and energy industries—serving a range of public- and private-sector clients. At VHB, we are dedicated to improving mobility, enhancing communities, and balancing development and infrastructure needs with environmental stewardship.
- We are creative problem-solvers
- We work hard, and we give back
- We like our colleagues, and we love Mondays (really)
- We are diverse, caring, welcoming, and fun!
VHB has consistently been rated one of the top AEC firms to work for across our 30+ offices on the East Coast. Our regional accolades include WTS-NC Triangle awards for Innovative Transportation Solutions and Employer of the Year. We’re growing, and we hope you’ll join us!
About the Position
Director of Land Development | Raleigh, NC
- Manage the growth of Land Development practice to increase market share across North Carolina
- Lead a team of professionals to develop site/civil engineering plans and specifications for a multitude of small, medium, and large land development projects
- Develop new project opportunities and manage proposal submissions
- Responsible for project financial performance and client relations
- Support preparation of land development design and permitting documents
- Review drawings and specifications documenting the systems designed
- Attend meetings with clients, regulatory agencies, and stakeholders to establish their needs and discuss design/permitting issues with them
- Supervise design team activities during construction administration
- BS in Civil Engineering or related degree
- 15+ years of professional civil engineering experience focusing on land development and civil/site engineering.
- Professional Engineering license
- Excellent verbal, written, interpersonal communication, and leadership skills
- Self-motivated with attention to details and ability to think critically
- Actively lead and participate in project delivery, maintain and build client relationships
- Have knowledge of and experience in all aspects of site/civil engineering for residential and commercial site design including grading and drainage design, utility design site, and roadway layout
- Have a solid understanding of the typical land entitlement process in North Carolina including permitting at the local, state and federal level
- Have a track record of:
- significant interaction and relationships with clients, local, state and federal agencies and staff
- assisting clients on the repositioning, development, re-development and expansion of complex commercial, industrial residential sites to meet market demand
- leading an integrated design team to maximize development capacity of sites, meet development milestones and critical opening day schedules
New employees will be onboarded virtually and begin their employment from home. We are in the process of planning for a safe return to the workplace in alignment with government and CDC guidelines.
VHB is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.