|Senior Researcher - Renewable Energy|
Location: Washington, DC
Employment Type: Temporary
Date Posted: 02/23/2021
Expire Date: 04/23/2021
Job Categories: Research & Development
Senior Researcher - Renewable Energy|
The Senior Researcher for Renewable Energy Organizing is responsible for developing analysis and campaign strategy to achieve high union density in the rapidly growing renewable energy sector. The Senior Researcher for Renewable Energy Organizing will lead a team of researchers to conduct industry analysis, supply chain mapping, and employer and issue research. The person in this position will coordinate with AFL-CIO affiliated union staff to research, develop, and recommend comprehensive, sectoral strategies and tactics for union growth. The Senior Researcher works under the direction and guidance of the Growth Strategies Director in the Economic Power and Growth Hub.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
● Monitors the renewable energy sector and key employers; maps supply chains; provides analyses of company and industry structure, profitability, and finances in a campaign context.
● Performs full vulnerability analyses and collaboratively develops campaign plans.
● Understands industry trends and recommends appropriate programmatic changes in response.
● Coordinates and convenes multi-union conversation and collaboration on union growth strategies in this industry.
● Drafts and recommends industry campaign plans in collaboration with the Labor Energy Partnership and which include objectives, strategic opportunities, key tactics, key issues, proposed timeline, needed resources and outlining of relevant research lines of inquiry.
● Develops appropriate regulatory strategies as part of a campaign in collaboration with the Labor Energy Partnership Policy Advisor.
● Leads other researchers on their assignments and campaign duties, including evaluating work progress, determining priorities, supporting work plan development, and creating a system of accountability for the team’s work.
● Plays a lead role in supporting the Labor Energy Partnership with growth strategies. Oversees, plans, assembles and presents research and campaign strategies to increase union membership and union density in this industry as it grows.
● Leads targeting analyses on both company and industry level
● Effectively evaluates a campaign and its components.
● Develops and provides effective campaign presentations to various audiences including senior staff and leadership.
● Works effectively with other departments and affiliates on relevant public policy, legislative, and other issues in support of union growth in this industry.
● Takes responsibility for helping to ensure Federation resources are being used effectively.
● Performs other duties as assigned.
● Masters degree or equivalent area expertise preferred in a field related to renewable energy, sustainability and urban planning, labor/business economics or journalism, or similar. B.A. or B.S. required in a relevant field.
● Labor experience in an energy or manufacturing union preferred but not required.
● Experience working with leaders, staff and members in a coordinating and convening role.
● At least five years relevant work experience with progressive levels of responsibility.
● Demonstrated ability to design, conduct and/or oversee research and analysis on an industry, individual employers, and supply chain.
● Excellent writing and editing skills, proficiency in secondary research, ability to prepare graphs and charts and internal and external campaign communications. Excel and PowerPoint required.
● Demonstrated ability to communicate complex technical concepts to a variety of
audiences, including excellent writing, representational, and public communication
● Knowledge of relevant industry laws and regulations.
● Knowledge of liability and risk considerations of campaign work.
● Demonstrated ability to draft and present strategic campaign work plans to support affiliate union growth and aligned with other Federation goals.
● Effective time management skills, including prioritizing and managing multiple tasks, and demonstrated experience in developing campaign and personal work plans and goals.
● Demonstrated ability to build teams and work effectively in a team environment in both a lead and a support role.
● Demonstrated ability to work effectively in politically sensitive environments.
● Ability to work well in a collaborative environment.
● Strong interpersonal and problem-solving skills.
● Ability to work long and irregular hours when needed.
Company Name: AFL-CIO
The American Federation of Labor and Congress of Industrial Organizations (AFL-CIO) works tirelessly to improve the lives of working people. We are the democratic, voluntary federation of 55 national and international labor unions that represent 12.5 million working men and women. We strive to ensure all working people are treated fairly, with decent paychecks and benefits, safe jobs, dignity, and equal opportunities. We help people acquire valuable skills and job-readiness for the 21st century economy. In fact, we operate the largest training network outside the U.S. military. Our work is anchored in making sure everyone who works for a living has family-supporting wages and benefits and the ability to retire with dignity. We advance legislation to create good jobs by investing tax dollars in schools, roads, bridges, ports and airports, and improving the lives of workers through education, job training and a livable minimum wage. We advocate for strengthening Social Security and private pensions, ensuring fair tax policies, and making high-quality, affordable health care available to all. We fight for keeping good jobs at home by reforming trade rules, reindustrializing the U.S. economy and providing worker protections in the global economy. We stand firm in holding corporations accountable for their actions. We help make safe, equitable workplaces and give working people a collective voice to address workplace injustices without the fear of retaliation. We fight for social and economic justice and strive to vanquish oppression in all its forms.