|•||Job Seeker Tools|
|•||Your Saved Jobs|
|•||Build Your Professional Profile|
|Substitute Nurse Pool|
Company: Boston Public Schools
Location: Boston, MA
Employment Type: Full Time
Date Posted: 07/05/2022
Expire Date: 09/07/2022
Job Categories: Healthcare, Practitioner and Technician, Counseling, Medical
Substitute Nurse Pool|
Reports to: Health Administrator
The substitute school nurse provides skilled nursing care and management of the special needs of students as well as medication administration. Routine emergency care is provided for students and staff. If necessary, students are referred to their primary health care provider for an evaluation. For students with complex medical needs, the substitute school nurse may act as a liaison for the school, home and outside medical facilities. The substitute school nurse promotes student wellness and assists in maintaining a healthy school environment.
1. Provides emergency medical care to students.
2. Administers and/or supervises the administration of prescription medication to students.
3. Counsels and/or educates students in small groups or as individuals concerning medical issues.
4. Conducts formal and informal evaluations of medical conditions and develops accurate medical summaries on students.
5. Teaches mini-courses to small groups of students in Medical/Health areas relating to survival skills.
6. Monitors and assesses compliance with immunization standards as per BPS and DPH regulations.
7. Performs vision, hearing, scoliosis, dental, and other health related screening as required by DPH or BPS school health services.
8. Develops and maintains contacts with medical persons or facilities who might provide direct service or consultation.
9. Participates in Service Team Meetings of students when medical input, interpretation, or consultation is needed.
10. Establishes and maintains appropriate record keeping and reporting formats and procedures.
11. Conducts formal workshops and/or informal training for staff as appropriate.
12. Maintains adequate and updated health records.
13. Serves as medical representative to evaluations and re-evaluations, obtains and interprets medical evaluation at these meetings.
1. Bachelor of Science in Nursing
2. Massachusetts license as a Registered Nurse
3. MA State Dept. of Education School Nurse License.
4. CPR & First Aid Certification
5. Experience working with children and adolescents in public school/agency/human services setting
Current authorization to work in the United States - Candidates must have such authorization by their first day of employment
Experience in: support services in a school setting; liaison and case management; high risk, multi-problem children and adolescents
Please refer to the Salary Compensation section on the Career Site for more information on compensation. Salaries are listed by Union and Grade/Step