Why Is Everything Black With You?
Posted By: Ivan Butcher II on March 18, 2019 |
This question reminded me of a conversation I had in one of my art classes, after a bi-racial student asked me, why everything was Black with me. As always in my art classes, we discussed all topics openly, and my response was it is because I am Black.
I am Black, my family is Black, my neighbors are Black, my community is Black, my existence has been as a Black man, so how else would I express myself?
This was not to say that I don't care about others, I see God in everyone, until they show the Devil in them. I believe-in and live by the ripple effects of sharing with those around me, not the trickle-down effect of letting others bare the bulk of sacrifice.
The Ruin of a Nation Begins in the Homes of Its People ( a Ghanaian proverb)
In light of the documented, disenfranchising economic conditions undermining our Black Family, "We African / Americans are a family and it is time that we begin working toward our own family's interest. The idea that, "Charity begins at home" is not separatism nor selfishness. The neglecting of ourselves and relying on others to provide for us nurtures that negative perception other families have of our Family."
As soon as a Black man speaks up to his Family, that it is time to clean our own houses and take care of our own businesses, he is labeled a separatist or a racist.
So it is Racist...!
- to stop supporting any system that is failing to address our family needs
- to encourage family own businesses and entrepreneurship in our own neighborhoods
- to vote for candidates, who empathizes with our families needs: job, education, health, housing, etc...
- to insist that our neighborhood schools are staffed, equipped and supplied equally to that of the publicly subsidized charter schools
- to unify our resources, to ensure we qualify for some of the government infrastructure and capital improvement projects, especially those that will be developed and built in our communities.
- to be treated justly with the allocation of government contracts, loans, grants, scholarships, etc...
- to tell our Youth that there are those who will harm and prey on them solely because of their complexion
- to council your family that until we take ownership of our own financial, political and social destiny, we will be seen as not deserving of other families' respect.
The other destructive N ...word in America is "Nepotism!"
The White Race are not All or always Our Enemy; The Enemy is the White Attitude of Superiority, Prejudice, Privilege, Entitlement, Control, etc...
You just have to be Mindful to Whom You Trust!
Ivan Butcher II
US Virgin Islands
If you enjoyed this article, Join HBCU CONNECT today for similar content and opportunities via email!
Elynor MossI live with the mindset that we are all people of color.
Senior Diversity Recruiter at HBCU Connect LLC
Literally my skin tone is caramel, brown.
I think we have been assigned colors to create separation.
I represent the Human race.
Thursday, March 21st 2019 at 11:42AM
Ivan Butcher IIWhen people meet me they are often curious to my background and religion.
Business Proprietor at The Butcher Shop of the Virgin Islands
They ask if I’m Muslim, Rasta, African, West Indian................etc.
My usual response is that, I am Human.
I am a Pessimist about Humanity becoming any more Humane, especially when Harmony cannot even be achieved in our own Families.
But, I also believe in responding to them with respect, so those who may change if dealt with reasoning and understanding.
I treat and see The Creator in everyone, until they show me the Devil in Them.
Thursday, March 21st 2019 at 4:08PM
More From This Author