JOB TITLE: Meeting Specialist
PROGRAM: Meetings and Seminars
LOCATION: Denver, CO
SALARY: $4,708 per month
The National Conference of State Legislatures is a bipartisan organization that serves the legislators and legislative staff of the nation's 50 states, its commonwealths and territories. NCSL provides research, technical assistance and opportunities for policymakers to exchange ideas on the most pressing state issues. Our mission is to serve state legislatures and other intergovernmental groups by providing support, promoting fresh ideas, connecting legislators and staff with experts and each other, and provide a strong, cohesive voice in the federal system. Since its founding in 1975, NCSL's staff has grown from 15 employees to over 150 employees in its offices in Denver, CO and Washington, D.C.
The Meetings Specialist is responsible for the coordination of all aspects of a meeting. This would include planning, budgeting, registration, housing, logistics, site selection, bill reconciliation and program development. The work requires initiative, independence, strong organizational skills, budget management skills, attention to detail, a broad-based knowledge of non-profit organizations, the meeting industry and strong interpersonal skills. The Meetings Specialist must be able to take a project from conception to completion. The Meetings Specialist must have the ability to manage multiple complex projects, resources and budgets. In addition, the position requires skills in negotiating contractual agreements and establishing standards of quality in completing meeting projects.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
1. Prepares logistics of meetings and creates Requests for Proposals. Evaluates responses for rates, products, services and arrangements required for the conduct of meetings.
2. Coordinates exhibit hall logistics and (layout, carpet, drape, etc.) for Legislative Summit. Also works closely with General Service Contractor on execution of signage, décor, furniture and other duties as assigned for Legislative Summit.
3. Works closely with exhibit sales on executing sponsorship fulfillment.
4. Prepares timeline for meeting. Performs site search, reviews and evaluates information for placement of meetings. Finalizes meeting location and manages meeting calendar.
5. Negotiates contracts with skill and knowledge of legal terms used in hotel and vendor contracts. Negotiates mutually fair contracts that protect NCSL from risk.
6. Provides on-site management of functions, events and programs, including registration, food and beverage, logistics, housing block and vendors/suppliers, including audio visual, transportation, etc.
7. Oversees the logistics for a major group of meetings and assigns meeting rooms, monitors the inventory of available rooms and offices, negotiates room rental and food and beverage attrition, menus and direct billing with hotels and facilities.
8. Develops complete documentation of arrangements necessary for the administration of meetings. Prepares post-statistical reports on each meeting covering attendance, revenue and housing. Ensures that meeting standards, deadlines and contractual agreements are followed.
9. Prepares budget estimates for assigned meetings and conferences: assures optimum financial results by monitoring expenditures, analyzing billings, and adjusting services to stay within budgets: reviews and approves final invoices for payment. Prepares monthly financial statements for all meetings. Ability to apply a variety of accounting functions, create spreadsheets and use accounting software.
10. Coordinates webinars and online learning. Prepares timeline, budget and executes webinars.
11. Collect and provide meeting statistics and evaluation data to encourage the development of promotional items and marketing plans to increase attendance of meetings.
12. Skill and competence to work well under pressure. Troubleshoots prior, during and after meetings.
13. Coordinates responsibilities that effect flow of work. Ability to work with staff at all levels. Advises department management on administrative matters. Establishes and defines standards of quality in meeting projects. Ability to manage complex multi-function projects. Works independently under general guidance from department’s director.
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities but does serve as a coach and mentor for other positions in the department.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as laptop computers, copy machines, scanners and smartphones.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
This is largely a sedentary position that requires the ability to speak, hear, see, lift small objects up to 50 lbs., open filing cabinets and bend, stoop, or stand on a stool as necessary. Requires the ability to travel locally, regionally and nationally, including overnight and weekends.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Qualifications & Requirements QUALIFICATIONS:
Experience and Education
• A bachelor’s degree plus at least three years of relevant work experience. The preferred work experience or education background should include some combination of professional meeting management and professional meeting planning experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Skill and competence to work effectively with a diverse group of individuals.
• Skill and competence in writing clearly and communicating orally.
• Skill and competence to work independently and to handle a variety of tasks and assignments concurrently.
• Skill and competence in handling complex administrative and logistical details for large meetings.
NCSL offers an outstanding benefits package including low cost health, dental and vision coverage, a 401(a)-retirement plan with 10% contribution after 6 months and full vesting, life & disability insurance, 3-weeks paid vacation with 5+ years of paid full-time work experience, paid leave, 35-hour work weeks, telework, pet insurance, discounted bus / train passes, in-office dry cleaning pick up, access to 24-hour fitness memberships, and more!
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume highlighting skills and qualifications to: https://ncsl.applicantpro.com/jobs no later than Thursday, April 25, 2019.
The National Conference of State Legislatures is a bipartisan organization that serves the legislators and legislative staff of the nation's 50 states, its commonwealths and territories. NCSL provides research, technical assistance and opportunities for policymakers to exchange ideas on the most pressing state issues. Our mission is to serve state legislatures by providing support, promoting fresh ideas, connecting legislators and staff with experts and each other, and provide a strong, cohesive voice in the federal system.
Since its founding in 1975, NCSL's staff has grown from 15 employees to over 150 employees in its offices in Denver, CO and Washington, D.C. Our growth has been due to the increasing activity and responsibility of the nation's state legislatures and the complexity and diversity of issues that legislators face. Employees work in a challenging, often fast-paced environment where they assist legislators and legislative staff in their work to promote the common good of the citizens of the states.