The Director for STEM will provide PreK-12 STEM leadership focused on the development, implementation and evaluation of all STEM programs. The Director of STEM will plan, direct and evaluate District’s STEM Programs ensuring that best practices are being provided for our students as measured by improved science, technology, and mathematics performance.
The position is designed to support and enhance the educational process in grades Pre-K-12. Duties are performed in various school buildings as needed.
• Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction
Leadership Responsibilities and Expectations:
• Assist the Assistant Superintendent in providing leadership, direction, alignment and oversight for the districts’ PreK- 12 STEM curriculum/programs.
• Provide leadership and support for Professional Development that is embedded in the school day pertaining to STEM
• Assist District/Hiring Committee with interviews and selection of personnel as it relates to STEM
• Assist schools with teacher observations with the area STEM as per the District’s APPR guidelines
• Oversee curriculum development and instructional practices in all content areas of STEM
• Collaboratively develop and implement enrichment opportunities for students
• Expand the Robotics program
• Develop, enhance and implement aligned, district-wide mathematics assessment
• Support and attend community functions.
• Participate on District Level Committees
• Other responsibilities as assigned by the Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction and/or the Superintendent of Schools.
• Performs and completes other duties and responsibilities as specifically determined by the Superintendent of Schools/Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction
• Supports Board of Education policies and actions to the public and staff.
• Attends meetings of the Board of Education as appropriate.
• Submits items in a timely manner to the Assistant Superintendent for C &I, Superintendent of Schools and/or designee with appropriate recommendations based on thorough study and analysis.
Relationship with Community:
• Promotes community understanding and support for the schools.
• Is visible in the community and participates in community activities.
Conditions of Employment:
• Director of STEM position is a tenure-track twelve (12) month administration position which is part of the Peekskill Administrative Association (PAA)
• Performance of this job will be evaluated annually by the Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction, Superintendent of Schools and/or designee pursuant to District APPR procedures.
• Director of STEM position will be part of the Peekskill Administration Association (PAA)
Qualifications & Requirements Qualification and Selection Criteria
• NYS Certification-School District Leader (SDL/SDA)
• NYS Mathematics certification required
• 5 years of demonstrated expertise as a teacher of mathematics preferred
• 3 years of successful experience as a building leader or administrator
• Demonstrated track record of curriculum design and high quality instructional practices
• Deep understanding of PreK-12 mathematics
• Strong foundation in elementary mathematics
• Responsibilities include knowledge of digital tools in mathematics, utilizing data to inform instruction, leading professional development workshops, teacher coaching
• Ability to deal effectively with people and problem solve
• Ability to plan and supervise the work of others
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills (oral, written and digital)