Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for Department Head of the Infrastructure Engineering & Operations Department. You will provide strategic and technical oversight for operations and engineering for facilities and infrastructure in order to meet the goals and objectives of its customers and stakeholders. You will be a key member of the Infrastructure & Operations (I&O) Senior Management Team and report directly to the Associate Director for I&O, ensuring through proactive methods, that all business activities are conducted in a safe, secure, compliant and efficient manner. Additionally, you will be responsible for providing world class facility management across the Laboratory site locations and mandated by the DOE. This position is in the Infrastructure & Operations Directorate within the Operations & Business (O&B) Principal Directorate.
- Provide overall leadership, direction and technical oversight, and personnel administration to the Infrastructure Operations and Engineering Department championing the Laboratory’s Safety Culture through the delivery of safe and reliable facilities and services that enable successful mission execution.
- Implement design and process engineering services for civil, mechanical and building control systems. Ensure Laboratory infrastructure operates efficiently, is safe, serviceable, and complies with DOE requirements, laws and regulations. Provide comprehensive solutions for maintaining accurate and up to date As-Built drawings and maps for building plans and mechanical systems.
- Oversee asset acquisition and strategy to commission and transition to operations new equipment and system installations while identifying efficiency and cost improvement opportunities for recommissioning or retro commissioning, maintain laboratory construction standards and specifications.
- Oversee the implementation of a Facility Management model that provides an effective and customer-centric approach to operating facilities across the Laboratory ensuring exceptional customer service.
- Collaborate with the Infrastructure Utilities and Maintenance Department and Laboratory Strategic Infrastructure Department to establish and maintain a comprehensive maintenance strategy for the Laboratory’s institutional equipment and systems including deferred maintenance needs and infrastructure improvements.
- Represent the I&O directorate in the development and implementation of facility management information systems and technology to include the Enterprise Asset Management and Building Information Systems.
- Oversee the Department’s performance management, salary management, and ranking; manage hiring and recruiting activities. This includes career development of employees to ensure their success, as well as succession planning. Ensure implementation of LLNL policies regarding ES&H, EEO/AA, diversity, and business practices. Oversee the development and implementation of process and procedural documentation to flow down regulatory requirements and institutional policy to the department work force. Execute and manage effective assessment programs, establish key metrics, and monitor department performance to meet the organization's goals and objectives.
- Develop and manage the department operating budget for maintaining laboratory infrastructure and construction standards, preventative and predictive maintenance plans, building information systems, and implementation of changes in codes and standards. Ensure a risk-based approach to maintaining mission essential functions and capabilities is incorporated into day-to-day facility and maintenance operations and that appropriate economic analysis is being applied to asset costs and lifecycle management.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, facility management, or related technical field.
- Advanced technical and leadership skills and experience including managing large-scale budgets and delivering programmatic results.
- Advanced knowledge and experience interpreting and applying codes and standards related to facility operations, such as building code, electrical code, fire code and state and federal OSHA requirements.
- Experience developing or maintaining specifications and technical standards for construction projects; including developing and/or maintaining data systems.
- Experience applying life-cycle cost analysis, total cost of ownership or other financial strategies to evaluate construction and maintenance costs.
- Experience successfully collaborating with senior management to develop a high level customer service standard to achieve organizational objectives.
- Expert problem solving, decision making, and analytical skills necessary to independently advise, recommend, and resolve highly complex problems having organization-wide impact.
- Significant experience with strategic planning, workforce planning, managing budgets, organizational dynamics, and establishing strategic and operational goals.
- Significant experience in performance management and supervision of department staff and managers, including performance issues, career development, annual performance appraisals, and salary management with the ability to motivate and inspire a diverse group of professional (exempt), non-exempt, and craft personnel.
- Expert interpersonal and communications skills, both verbal and written, necessary to effectively explain, direct, present, advise, negotiate, and influence all levels of management, both internal and external to the Laboratory.
- Advanced degree in Engineering or related field or Licensed Professional Engineer (PE) and/or International Facility Management Associate (IFMA) or Building Owners and Managers Institute (BOMI) certifications.
- Experience developing and implementing successful customer service strategies, metrics, and evaluation tools.
- Experience developing or applying a work planning process and the identification of hazards and work controls utilized to keep workers safe.
- Proven ability to analyze performance metrics data to implement corrective actions and develop future assessment activities.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.