Company: Azusa Pacific University
Location: Azusa, CA
Employment Type: Full Time
Date Posted: 06/04/2020
Expire Date: 08/04/2020
Job Categories: Education
The Director of Finance provides vision, leadership, strategy and innovation in the oversight and direction of the Accounting, Treasury, Financial Reporting and Tax operations of the University, ensuring excellence in service to all constituents. The Director of Finance is responsible for supporting the CFO’s strategic vision for financial growth and sustainability; providing financial information as needed to executive leadership and the Board of Trustees; developing, maintaining and evaluating a strong environment of internal controls, including documentation of policies and procedures, annual audit oversight and assisting the CFO with banking and treasury relationships.
* Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting.
* CPA, MBA or advanced degree strongly preferred.
* Must be knowledgeable in Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) accounting and reporting.
* Minimum 7-10 years of experience in related roles.
* Higher education and/or not-for profit experience preferred.
Primary Duties/Essential Functions
* Oversee the completion of annual projects and reports that enhance the financial operations of the University.
* Set the tone for proactive, timely, high-quality work, delivered with accuracy, integrity, continuous improvement and excellent customer service.
* Implement and maintain information systems and procedures necessary to maintain adequate fiscal controls, internal controls, and GAAP accounting compliance, including policies and procedures for non-finance colleagues.
* Prepare and assist with analysis and reporting to support the President’s Cabinet and Board of Trustees (including attendance at Board meetings).
* Oversee internal and external financial reporting.
* Oversee required data submissions, related benchmarking, and trend analysis of results.
* Oversee cash flow position and needs.
* Participate in maintaining banking and treasury relationships with CFO.
* Monitor compliance with debt covenants and other banking requirements.
* Oversight of endowment and investment operations.
* Attend Investment Committee Meetings.
* Provide oversight for student aid drawdowns.
* Oversee preparation for successful and efficient external audits of the University.
* Oversee preparation of the Form 990 and other tax compliance as required.
* Maintain working knowledge of technical accounting and industry compliance and regulatory requirements, and ensure compliance therewith.
* Maintain industry connections for collaboration and benchmarking.
* Hire, manage and proactively develop staff (Accounting, Audit, Financial Reporting, Grant Management).
* Assist as required with risk management and legal issues.
* Ensure all activities related to finance meet Federal, State, Local and University standards.
* Excellent organizational, supervisory, problem solving, oral, and written communication skills.
* Thorough working knowledge of GAAP accounting related to not-for-profit organizations in the higher education environment.
* Knowledge of tax law (not-for-profit/higher education) is helpful.
* Ability to analyze, evaluate and interpret complex financial data and draw sound conclusions.
* Forward and creative thinker who can cast a vision and motivate a team to reach ambitious goals, with excellence and integrity.
* Ability to advance ideas from plans to results with processes that ensure input and feedback from campus constituents.
* Sets a tone for continual improvement, and empowers gifted team members to do the work God has called them to do.
* Persuasive advocate for departmental needs while successfully working cross-departmentally.
* Addresses and resolves problems and conflict promptly, in a God-honoring way.
* Makes and communicates difficult decisions firmly and graciously.
* Earns respect and establishes rapport with colleagues.
* Demonstrated capacity for independent thought, intellectual honesty and decision-making.
* Must demonstrate the ability to think critically to improve processes.
* Excellent time management skills in meeting deadlines with attention to detail.
* Training skills for staff and student employees.
* Good computer skills with Windows XP and Micros4oft products including Word documents, MS Exchange e-mail, MS Excel spreadsheets, etc.
* Ability to work under pressure and demonstrate confidence in exercising independent judgment and discretion.
* Motivated self-starter and able to work with very little supervision.
* Complex problem solving.
* Able to prioritize and multi-task various duties and projects for completion.
* High degree of confidence and integrity in the monitoring of accounting transactions.
* Requires a high degree of confidentiality. Mmust be able to keep matters, information confidential, and share only as per internal policy.
* In agreement with the purpose and goals of Azusa Pacific University in providing a Christian-based higher education for its students.
* Requires repetitive motions and sitting at computer keyboard.
* Hearing and speaking on the telephone.
* Able to conduct business at other offices on campus.
* Able to lift, bend, grasp, reach, lift up to 20 lbs. occasionally.
* Proficient in Google Apps., Microsoft Office, Word and Excel.
Azusa Pacific University is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.