|Senior Finance Associate|
Location: New York, NY
Employment Type: Full Time
Date Posted: 06/24/2020
Expire Date: 08/24/2020
Job Categories: Accounting/Auditing, Financial Services
Senior Finance Associate|
The Simons Foundationís Finance department is recruiting a Senior Finance Associate within the Accounting and Reporting group. This new position will expand the teamís capacity for greater recurring and project workloads and will have both an advanced individual technical role and a supporting supervisory role in the day-to-day function of the group.
The Senior Finance Associate will assist team members with workload and task assignments across the Accounting and Reporting group, including but not limited to reviewing journal entries, reconciliations and other work papers prepared by junior team members. This position also requires providing coaching and feedback to junior team members.
The Senior Finance Associate will report to the Finance Manager, Accounting and will work in our New York, NY office.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS / RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform advanced tasks related to the monthly and annual close processes, including complex journal entries and account reconciliations.
- Assist in the preparation of monthly and annual financial statements and related reporting packages.
- Manage the foundationís consolidation process including accounting for subsidiaries, subsidiary ledger data integration, intercompany account analysis and monthly elimination entries.
- Analyze foundation-wide payroll at the departmental level; reconcile required regulatory filings back to the foundationís payroll records and accounting records; collaborate with the human resources department to better integrate HR and payroll records into the accounting system.
- Maintain and analyze the foundationís fixed-asset accounting records
- Perform all real estate accounting related tasks; coordinate with external property management firms to align processes and resolve financial issues related to real estate.
- Support the annual financial tax and audit processes; respond to requests from external auditors and tax accountants and coordinate the status of open items.
- Research technical accounting and tax issues and draft accounting memos to document complex matters/decisions; coordinate with management, external financial accountants and tax accountants where appropriate.
- Prepare accounting/reporting content for the Finance pages on the foundationís intranet, including the monthly close calendar; support updates to the foundationís accounting policies and procedures manual.
- Remain current on US GAAP, IRS regulations and other regulatory developments impacting private foundations.
- Support ongoing efforts to improve processes and automate manual tasks; propose strategies to make operations more efficient.
- Take on any additional responsibilities or special projects as needed.
Education and Certifications
- Bachelorís degree in accounting, tax, finance or business preferred; other degrees will be considered based on level of relevant experience.
- CPA is strongly preferred.
- Minimum five to seven years of relevant experience; at least two years specializing in nonprofit organizations, either in public accounting or in industry, is preferred.
- Must have technical and computational accounting skills as well as a strong understanding of US GAAP, IRS regulations with respect to exempt organizations and applicable industry standards.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office with an emphasis on Excel.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Dynamics GP and financial systems integrations is a plus.
Related Skills & Other Requirements
- Must possess strong verbal and written communication skills; must be able to prepare clear technical documents that can be easily understood by nontechnical audiences.
- Must be detail oriented with strong organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Must demonstrate initiative and critical-thinking skills, and the ability to prioritize workload to deliver high-quality results on time.
- Adaptive to a dynamic, rapidly growing work environment.
- Strong work ethic and self-starter.
- Ability both work effectively both in teams and independently.
THE SIMONS FOUNDATION'S DIVERSITY COMMITMENT
Many of the greatest ideas and discoveries come from a diverse mix of minds, backgrounds and experiences, and we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment. The Simons Foundation provides equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic disposition, neurodiversity, disability, veteran status or any other protected category under federal, state and local law.
Company Name: www.simonsfoundation.org
The Simons Foundationís mission is to advance the frontiers of research in mathematics and the basic sciences. Co-founded in New York City by Jim and Marilyn Simons, the foundation exists to support basic ó or discovery-driven ó scientific research undertaken in the pursuit of understanding the phenomena of our world. The Simons Foundationís support of science takes two forms: We support research by making grants to individual investigators and their projects through academic institutions, and, with the launch of the Flatiron Institute in 2016, we now conduct scientific research in-house, supporting teams of top computational scientists. To learn more about our initiatives please visit our about page here: https://www.simonsfoundation.org/about You may access our 2017 online annual report here: https://www.simonsfoundation.org/report2017/stories/