Company: McDaniel College
Location: Westminster, MD
Employment Type: Full Time
Date Posted: 11/24/2020
Expire Date: 01/24/2021
Job Categories: Accounting/Auditing
Reporting to the Vice President for Administration and Finance, the Controller is responsible for all accounting operations for the institution and will oversee the maintenance and retention for business-related records. The Controller leads a team of two accountants, a team of four in the Accounts Receivable (Bursar) area, and 1.5 staff in the Accounts Payable office.
Develop, oversee and monitor all accounting functions for the institution
• Establish and maintain the institution's chart of accounts
• Direct supervisory responsibility for the recording of all transactions to the general ledger
• Responsible for maintaining the college’s fixed assets
• Provides leadership for financial system upgrades
• Responsible for restricted accounting of sponsored programs (grants and contracts) and accounting of plant funds, grant funds, and debt service
• Prepares monthly and annual financial statements
• Provides timely financial information (including tax returns) to both the internal and external community
• Monitors and prepares the semi-annual bond covenant reports for our financial partners
• Provides robust financial reporting to facilitate strategic decision-making throughout the college
• Maintains compliance with GAAP accounting standards
• Serves as the liaison with the college's external audit firm
• Keeps informed on compliance and reporting standards with state and federal regulations
• Develops, maintains, and adapts appropriate internal financial control systems to provide assurance that institution assets are safeguarded
Oversees the maintenance and retention for business-related records
• Maintains official documents and deeds
• Responsible for developing and maintaining documented procedures and policies for all internal reporting, and ensuring best practices are being utilized
• Assists the Vice President for Administration and Finance in approving contractual obligations of the college, including construction contracts, loan applications and payments, government and foundation grant applications or agreements, and any other instruments committing the institution financially
• Responsible for carrying out the mandates of the Board of Trustees and its Finance and Facilities Committee in overseeing the financial resources of the college
• Serves as the liaison with the Audit Committee
• Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year college preferably in business administration and accounting.
• MBA with a focus in accounting or business administration preferred.
• Current CPA license in good standing.
• Three to five years of accounting experience; higher education preferred.
• Two or more years of supervisory experience.
• Accurate, detail oriented, quantitative skills including the ability to compile and analyze data and reports of a technical nature.
• Ability to work extended hours at times when needed.
• Excellent communication, writing and organizational skills.
• Ability to prioritize duties and work independently.
• Intermediate computer skills (MS Office Suite, accounting systems, report writing).
• Ability to deal with difficult people, while maintaining decorum.
• Must be able to anticipate and plan for cyclical activities.
• Discretion and reliability in sensitive and confidential matters.
• Knowledge of Ellucian Colleague desirable.
For a complete job description and to apply, please visit the college’s employment webpage. Completed applications must include a cover letter addressing position qualifications and related experience, resume, and the names and contact information of three professional references. Review of applications begins on November 23,2020.
Company Name: McDaniel College
McDaniel College, recognized nationally among “Colleges that Change Lives” and U.S. News and World Report top-tier liberal arts colleges, is a four-year private college of the liberal arts and sciences offering more than 60 undergraduate programs of study, including dual and student-designed majors, plus 20 highly regarded graduate programs. At McDaniel College we value our employees by offering our full-time employees tuition remission, 403B retirement accounts, paid time off, medical insurance, flexible spending accounts, life insurance, and paid maternity and parental leave. Visit College website for more information. McDaniel College was founded in 1867 as the first co-ed college just south of the Mason-Dixon line. Our motto, E Tenebris in Lucem Voco, means "I call you out of darkness into light." We are a private, selective college of the liberal arts and sciences offering a personalized undergraduate and graduate education delivered by expert faculty in small class settings on a spectacular hilltop campus ideally located near Baltimore and Washington, D.C. Our students also have the opportunity to study at McDaniel Europe in Budapest, Hungary. McDaniel College is a diverse student-centered community committed to excellence in the liberal arts & sciences and professional studies. With careful mentoring and attention to the individual, McDaniel changes lives. We challenge students to develop their unique potentials with reason, imagination, and human concern. Through flexible academic programs, collaborative and experiential learning, and global engagement, McDaniel prepares students for successful lives of leadership, service, and social responsibility. McDaniel College, an equal opportunity employer, does not discriminate in the recruitment, admission, and employment of students, faculty, and staff in the operation of any of its educational programs and activities. McDaniel College will not tolerate any discrimination or harassment on basis of any protected status including race, religion, color, national origin, disability, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, military status, genetic information, marital status, veteran's status or any other legally protected status. McDaniel College is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment in which all students, faculty, and staff can flourish. Learn more about McDaniel College's commitment to diversity and inclusion https://www.mcdaniel.edu/about-us/mission-history/diversity-inclusion.
Please visit our employer showcase!