Company: Azusa Pacific University
Location: Azusa, CA
Employment Type: Full Time
Date Posted: 04/14/2021
Expire Date: 05/14/2021
Job Categories: Education
The Associate Provost for Undergraduate Education and Community Engaged Learning (APUECEL) reports to the Provost and directly assists and advises the Provost in carrying out his/her responsibilities relative to academic programs/plans, academic policies, and student matters. The APUECEL oversees undergraduate academic policies and facilitates institutional initiatives focused on enhancing undergraduate learning for both traditional and non-traditional students. This includes duties such as the orientation and welcoming of first-year students, to the enhancement and oversight of selected academic programs and co-curricular initiatives. The person in this position will hold faculty rank and closely collaborate with Deans, Chairs, Faculty, and other academic leaders to enrich the overall quality of educational programs, with an emphasis on student retention, achievement, and persistence. The position also has responsibility for collaborating with the Senior Associate Pro vost of Operations and Strategic Planning on actualizing the Academic Affairs portion of the university strategic plan.
Doctoral Degree required.
The successful candidate will be an experienced academic leader who has held progressively responsible administrative roles in an academic setting. She or he will have demonstrated a record of ethical, fair, and innovative leadership, with excellent interpersonal, problem solving, and communication skills, as well as a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion and respect for shared governance. At least 5-7 years of higher education administration experience as an associate dean or above is recommended. In addition to an earned terminal degree in the candidate’s field, the APUECEL will have experience as a full time faculty member with a strong record of scholarship and teaching. Recognizing/Appreciating the great variety in Christian thought and practice, the APUECEL lives out a Christian faith in a way that is compatible with the mission of Azusa Pacific University.
Primary Duties/ Essential Job Functions:
* Provides strategic and organizational guidance focused on academic programming, quality of educational programs, student retention, achievement, and persistence. This includes providing strategic planning guidance for Academic Affairs in alignment with the university strategic plan.
* Increases awareness of retention-enriching programming and fosters relationships with disciplines and departments at all levels.
* Leads promotion, retention, and advancement efforts for undergraduate education, particularly for at-risk and marginalized populations in conjunction with assessment efforts developed through Faculty Affairs.
* Collaborates with university leadership to lead, develop, and execute opportunities for improvement in the quality and outcomes of existing academic programs, retention, and success of current students, while working to identify and develop new programs to meet the needs of today's learners and employers. This will increasingly require cross-disciplinary and multi-modal delivery of curriculum in a cost-effective manner.
* Directs daily administrative and management operations, including financial, operational, and human resources management, for administrative units assigned by the Provost, including: Tutoring Center, Writing Center, Testing Center, Academic Advising, Global Learning and Engagement, Service Learning, Career Center, General Education, the Writing Program, and others as assigned.
* Teaches at least one and up-to-two courses per year in his/her discipline of study through affiliate status. (With approval of the supervisor, in some academic years scholarly research projects may stand in lieu of classroom instruction.)
* Ability to work under pressure, exuding a mature demeanor while multi-tasking in a deadline-oriented environment with accuracy and consistency.
* Ability to work independently and meet deadlines.
* Ability to work collaboratively with a team, as well as an independent contributor.
* Ability to exercise good judgment and discretionary skills in determining when to act independently and when to consult management prior to taking action.
* Self-starter with a positive attitude.
* Requires repetitive motion and sitting at computer keyboard.
* Hearing and speaking on the telephone.
* Meetings may require walking and/or driving to various University locations.
* Must be able to climb stairs multiple times in a workday.
* Computer monitor and reading.
* Salary will be commensurate with qualifications, experience, and internal equity.
As part of the application process for this position, please attach Word documents with the following:
2. Diversity Statement: Please include a statement (not to exceed two pages) that explains the candidate's background, research, work experience and commitment to equity and inclusion work, especially as it is connected to APU's MSI status, open enrollment policies, and the attendant role.
4. Letter of Interest.
Please see job description