Company: Protect Democracy
Location: Washington, DC
Employment Type: Full Time
Date Posted: 04/15/2021
Expire Date: 06/15/2021
Job Categories: Government and Policy, Legal, Other, Nonprofit and Volunteer Services, Writing/Authoring
Protect Democracy seeks a highly motivated individual to join our team as an Impact Associate. In this role, you will contribute to a wide range of our impact projects using integrated advocacy strategies—which incorporate policy advocacy to local, state, and federal officials, litigation, strategic communications, business engagement, organizing, academic and policy research, and data analysis, and which have the opportunity to develop and hone your skills in project management, writing, and communications. The ideal candidate possesses an entrepreneurial, action-oriented mindset; strong interpersonal skills; organization and prioritization skills; excellent writing, research, and communication skills; and an affinity for team collaboration and partnership.
You can work from any location in the United States, and candidates from diverse personal backgrounds, historically marginalized communities, and from across the political and ideological spectrum are strongly encouraged to apply. Our team includes people who have Republican, Democratic, and independent backgrounds. We are particularly interested in hiring some candidates who would expand the ideological diversity of our team, including by bringing center, center-right, and right perspectives.
We expect to hire multiple candidates for this role, and as a result, we do not expect that any one candidate will have all of the experiences and requirements listed below. We expect to hire one (or more) Impact Associate(s) with paralegal experience supporting litigation, and one (or more) Impact Associate(s) with program administration experience at a non-profit or think tank, but neither paralegal nor program administration experience is a prerequisite to applying.
The Impact Associate will:
- Manage work streams on various impact project teams and balance numerous priorities
- Write memoranda synthesizing research conducted in connection with Protect Democracy’s litigation, communications, and policy advocacy work
- Support litigation efforts: assist attorneys in preparing for court appearances, coordinate and conduct court filings, and design and maintain systems to track legal proceedings
- Cite-check, fact-check, and proofread court filings, reports, letters, and other public-facing documents
- Design and implement work plans to advance strategic goals, both for internal and cross-organizational teams
- Prepare, submit, and track Freedom of Information Act requests; draft and assist attorneys with filing Freedom of Information Act complaints
- Work on our policy and advocacy project teams to develop and advance new approaches for protecting democracy in partnership with other NGOs, lawmakers, and legal scholars
- Draft op-eds and other communications materials including press releases, tweets, talking points, outreach emails, and blog posts
- Help design and curate content for Protect Democracy’s website
- Engage with partners, clients, opposing counsel, and other external stakeholders
- Strategize with other team members and actively contribute ideas during impact and litigation project brainstorming sessions
- Propose and/or lead new impact projects to advance Protect Democracy’s mission
About Protect Democracy:
- Open to applicants from all over the country. Location requirements are flexible. The only requirement is that your location be one that allows you to complete the demands of the position and mission. We currently have staff in Washington DC, New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Los Angeles, the San Francisco Bay Area, and elsewhere around the country. Prior to the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, we offered shared workspaces in those locations for staff members who enjoy working in an office environment, and we anticipate re-opening our workspaces in the future.
- Commitment to a diverse workplace. Protect Democracy is an equal opportunity employer. Our culture principles emphasize that there is strength in diversity as we believe diverse teams are more innovative, creative, and productive. Protect Democracy encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.
- Competitive pay and phenomenal benefits. This position is full-time and offers a salary and benefits commensurate with experience and designed to be at the leading edge of competitiveness for the social justice and non-profit sector. While we cannot match for-profit sector salaries, our intent is to not make finance a bar to people who want to do this work on the theory that paying for top talent will result in greater impact towards our mission. For example, our benefits package includes: three months of paid parental leave, a 401k plan in which we match employee contributions dollar for dollar up to 6% of salary, and full coverage for an excellent health care plan.
- Ample opportunities for personal & professional development. Candidates who do not meet all listed criteria should still apply, as our organizational structure focuses on providing mentorship and opportunities for professional growth.
To apply for this position, please fill out the application here (https://protectdemocracy.recruitee.com/o/impact-associate-2021) and upload your resume and cover letter as a single PDF. On the application form, we will ask you to submit responses to two short questions by video. Please note that your application is incomplete and will not be considered until you have answered the required questions and submitted your video recordings. You’ll have the opportunity to re-record your answers as many times as you’d like and won’t need special equipment or have to download software.
IMPORTANT: Depending on your browser & security settings, you may be able to record your video through the link or you may have to upload a video recorded on a separate platform. We will not judge the quality of the video so long as we are able to clearly hear your answers.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you require accommodations at any point in the application process.
- One or more years of professional work experience
- Strong writing, research, editing, and proofreading skills; policy or advocacy writing experience is a plus
- Rigorous attention to detail and the highest standards for excellence in execution
- Ability to track, prioritize, and balance an assortment of ongoing responsibilities
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Project management experience and an ability to manage up, down, and sideways
- Willingness to learn new research, communications, and policy skills and processes
- Nimbleness and an ability to perform well in a rapid-paced environment
- Comfort with an open culture that values giving and receiving feedback
- Enthusiasm for team collaboration and working with people with diverse backgrounds and characteristics, and openness to a diversity of ideas and perspectives
- Passionate commitment to the preservation of democratic norms and institutions and ensuring those structures serve all people
Company Name: Protect Democracy