Company: Advancement Project
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Employment Type: Full Time
Date Posted: 04/19/2021
Expire Date: 06/19/2021
Job Categories: Administrative and Support Services
(*This is a remote work-from home position until further notice, at which point the employee will report to work in the office.)
The Administrative Associate will report to the Operations Manager. As a critical member of the Administration Team, the Administrative Associate will provide administrative and clerical support on a variety of organization-wide projects and initiatives, as needed. The Administrative Associate is responsible for providing organizational and operational support in the development and execution of events. The Administrative Associate will support staff in the design, planning and execution of external meetings, conferences, workshops, fundraisers, and other special events. The Administrative Associate is also responsible for providing organizational and operational support related to travel coordination for staff traveling on Advancement Project business.
The successful candidate will be comfortable working in a fast-paced and changing landscape of priorities and responsibilities and be able to work independently and on variety of teams. Excellent project management, administrative and clerical skills, including a strong attention to detail, the ability to multi-task, prioritize and meet deadlines are required. The successful candidate will also possess a proactive work style that anticipates the needs of his/her supervisors and colleagues and will be expected to learn technical and specialized rules, regulations, policies, procedures, and activities related to the assigned duties. The work entails dealing professionally with highly confidential information and requires a high degree of customer focus.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Maintain the calendar of the Deputy Director and other senior leaders; schedule internal and external meetings, including preparing all necessary information and materials required for meetings, taking messages, participating in, and taking notes during conference calls and meetings, and drafting and reviewing correspondence. Ensure that preparations for meetings are made in a timely and professional manner.
• In coordination with the Deputy Director, assist in the planning and convening of the annual Los Angeles Board meeting, including preparing and mailing board packets, coordinating travel for Board members and organizing various meeting related events, and taking notes/minutes at the meeting.
• Provide scheduling, technology, and additional administrative support to org-wide departments as requested.
• In coordination with the Operations Manager provide basic IT support including: computer, email, voice/data communications and LAN set-up for new staff or for office relocations, as required.
• In coordination with the Operations Manager assist in the development of forms, procedures, and manuals for the Administration and Finance Departments.
• Order supplies, furniture, and/or equipment in accordance with organizational guidelines.
• Schedule hotel and flight accommodations for Advancement Project staff, specifying times, dates, best connections, meals, seat locations, car rental, etc. and procures necessary documentation such as passports, visas, or other clearances.
• Ensure that travel needs are met within the constraints of the organization’s travel policies, procedure and budget.
• Provide event planning support to staff, including the coordination of timelines and logistics, ordering food and supplies, securing locations, tracking budgets and expenses, communicating with vendors and providing day-of event support (set-up, registration, note taking, breakdown and related activities).
• As appropriate, track event RSVPs and/or ticket/sponsorship sales.
• Assist staff with the preparation of collateral materials and mass mailings, including fundraising invitations, meeting packets and signage.
• As appropriate, assist other departments and work as a member of the Administration Team by demonstrating professional and cooperative demeanor with supervisors and co-workers.
• Provide administrative coverage for members of the Administration Department who are on leave or out of the office.
• Participate in organization-wide planning, development, and communication activities, as needed and ensure adherence to Advancement Project goals and policies within the project area.
• Other duties as assigned, dependent on organizational needs and employee skills.
Please send an email with the subject "Admin Associate Application" and a cover letter, and resume in one PDF attachment titled the position and your name as the file name. For example, Administrative Associate_Jorge Jimenez.pdf to:
Director of Human Resources, Finance, and Administration firstname.lastname@example.org
Advancement Project is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability, age, or any other category protected by local, state, or federal laws. We are committed to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive staff team. We strongly encourage applicants who are people of color, LGBTQ, women, people with disabilities, and/or formerly incarcerated people.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job function assigned satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Sincere and demonstrated commitment to advancing social and/or racial justice progress for the highest-need communities.
• Education/Experience: Minimum of three years of administrative experience, preferably at a nonprofit or social justice organization (beyond summer or short-term internships). Bachelor’s degree required. Equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential job duties may be considered.
• Communication Skills: Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills are required. Demonstrated ability to compose and edit correspondence and basic reports, knowledge of business English, grammar and punctuation is required, with knowledge of a variety of writing styles and formats. Critical thinking in assessing, compiling and disseminating information is necessary. A proven ability to interact well with staff at all levels in an organization and to work as a productive team member are also required. Sense of discretion and a high degree of professionalism is required.
• Telephone/Technology Skills: Screen and handle telephone calls using proper etiquette. Computer literacy, including strong word processing experience and working knowledge of Microsoft Office software or a willingness and ability to learn other computer programs as required.
• Organizational & Management Skills: Excellent organizational skills with demonstrated ability to execute projects on-time and on-budget. A strong attention to detail is required. Flexibility to adjust and contribute to continually evolving work situation and changing priorities. The ability to multi-task various assignments, prioritize work, and adjust to multiple demands. Comfort working under pressure and tight deadlines.
• Judgment and Discretion: Skilled in determining matters of importance and information of use, exercising initiative in accomplishing any related tasks; give, deny or ask for information in a tactful and friendly manner and discretion in giving information about plans and/or action to anyone is required. An intuitive ability to recognize and appropriately convey the sensitive nature of any situation and the ability to keep all matters appropriately confidential is necessary.
• Teamwork & General Skills: Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision. Ability to take initiative and follow tasks through to completion. Demonstrated ability to work in a small team setting.
• Must be able to travel within state.
Occasionally must be able to move office supplies and equipment weighing up to 10 pounds across the office or during events.
Competitive compensation depending on experience. Includes full health, dental, and retirement benefits.
Company Name: Advancement Project
Contact Email: email@example.com
Organizational Background: Advancement Project California champions the struggle for greater equity and opportunity for all, fostering upward mobility in communities most impacted by economic and racial injustice. We build alliances and trust, use data-driven policy solutions, create innovative tools and work alongside communities to ignite social transformation. Rooted in the historic struggle for racial and economic equality, Advancement Project California envisions a world where all communities have equitable access to public resources and opportunities to thrive. The California office’s primary programs are Educational Equity, Equity in Community Investments, and Political Voice