|Community Development Associate|
Company: PALS Programs
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Employment Type: Full Time
Date Posted: 04/20/2021
Expire Date: 06/20/2021
Job Categories: Nonprofit and Volunteer Services
Community Development Associate|
PALS is a growing nonprofit that creates inclusive camp experiences for individuals with and without Down syndrome. Our programs are led by young, inspiring volunteers and have been designed to change attitudes, transform lives, and inspire a world of belonging.
As an organization committed to a more inclusive world, we recognize the importance of having our community reflect the areas we serve. The urgency of our mission—the need for young people both with and without Down syndrome to find connection and purpose—requires us to build a community beyond that of the typical camp world.
PALS has been given a grant to support our efforts in reaching low-income and racially diverse communities specifically in the Philadelphia area. The PALS strategic plan aims to have the demographics of all our participants match the demographics of each region we serve by 2025. As our founding region, Philadelphia is key in making this plan a reality and helping us build important strategies and learnings across the country. The Community Development Associate position would lead these efforts by establishing long-term partnerships centered around engaging more campers and volunteers from diverse backgrounds. The ultimate goal of this role is to engage individuals who might not seek out PALS on their own and inspire them to join us in our mission of inclusion and belonging.
Responsibilities & Desired Outcomes/ Who you are:
● Genuine: Build trust-based partnerships by developing relationships with key leaders and influencers
○ Outcome: 10 new partnerships that yield at least 20 new volunteers and 20 new campers in 2022
● Reflective and Persistent: Use data and metrics to continually assess and adjust strategies
○ Outcome: Document all outreach activity, corresponding results, and recommendations for adjustments
● Bold and Supportive: Identify key barriers that deter individuals and build solutions with our recruitment team
○ Outcome: Create a long-term plan to sustain ongoing partnerships and expand efforts to other regions
● A passionate team player: PALS is a small but mighty organization with a dynamic team and a desire to be better. Bring your unique perspective and experience to support the organization as a whole as we rethink inclusion and create a community that recognizes the value in every individual
Skills & Experience We Are Looking For
● Be self-motivated and proactive. Relationship building is hard, and there is no exact process. We are looking for someone who can create a plan and follow through on it independently. Outreach requires flexibility and adaptability so you can customize your efforts with each individual.
● Be resilient and solution-oriented. Recruitment takes work and will lead to lots of non-responses before you reach success. We need someone who is able to react with professionalism and confidence when changes occur and is grounded in the big picture.
● Be an effective communicator. You will be the first person to introduce PALS to these individuals. We expect you to be clear, professional, and embody our values in person, via email, on video chat, and at public events.
● Be independent and collaborative. Remote work is unique in that you need to be able to work independently AND communicate and document information for your team to keep them informed and connected to your work. We are a geographically dispersed, fully remote small team, and we need someone who is willing to put in that extra effort. We use Google Drive, Slack, and Asana to track our work; experience in these tools is a bonus.
● Have lived and/or professional experience in Philadelphia. We value an inclusive work culture with a diversity of participants and stakeholders and therefore are looking for applicants who can reflect some of the identities of those we serve. As a community based position, we are looking for someone who understands the city of Philadelphia and its cultures and subcultures. Additionally, as we continue to break down barriers around language, having fluency in Spanish is a big bonus.
● Have a connection to our mission. Working for PALS requires a connection to our mission. This might be experience in the Down syndrome or disability community or a strong passion for inclusive communities. PALS is personal for so many of us, and we refer to that motivation as our “Why PALS.” We want you to bring that “Why PALS” to work with you every day, and we will ensure you have lots of opportunities to get to know our community and find your personal connection in the work.
PALS is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workspace. We recognize that this takes consistent work and are committed to continual improvement. We believe that diverse ideas, cultures, and traditions reflect the broad diversity of the U.S. and are essential to building our vision of a community of belonging. PALS encourages applicants to describe in their cover letter the unique contributions they, as individuals with diverse experiences, would bring to the organization. We particularly encourage BIPOC (Black people, Indigenous peoples, and People of Color) to apply.
Terms and Compensation
This position is full-time, at-will, and with an expectation of approximately 40 hours/week. Your work day may shift depending on the time and season. Occasionally our young volunteer leaders meet with staff in the evening, or we host weekend events, and employees are encouraged to flex their time to meet these accommodations. This position is grant-funded and has an anticipated term from July 2021 to August 2022. The employee will work remotely and will need an appropriate work space where they can make phone calls, participate in video conferences, and work independently every day. Upon hiring, PALS will reimburse up to $100 for materials to set up this work space. The employee must reside (full time) in or within 30 minutes of Philadelphia. The salary for this position is $40,000. PALS will provide the employee with a laptop, a $50 monthly reimbursement for internet/cell, and a $150 monthly reimbursement for health care premium.
● Submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com
○ In your cover letter, please include not only your experiences and skills, but also specifics about this job that you are excited by. This role requires strong initiative and resilience. If you have a specific example in your life that illustrates these qualities, we would love to read about it in your cover letter.
● Optional: In lieu of a cover letter, you may submit a 2-4 minute self-recorded video telling us a bit about yourself and why you are interested specifically in this job.
● In addition to the resume & cover letter, complete an application: http://www.palsprograms.org/jobs.
PALS is committed to an equitable and transparent hiring process. All applicants will be considered on a rolling basis with a priority deadline of May 1, 2021. This position has an expected hiring date of July 2021 but we can adjust based on the applicant’s needs. We will complete our screening process for all applicants within one month of an application submission. Applicants will be asked to do interviews both on the phone and on zoom video conferencing. Additionally, applicants will be asked to complete an online assessment and skills demonstration tasks. PALS will work to make reasonable accommodations for applicants as needed throughout the process.
Company Name: PALS Programs
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
PALS creates inclusive camp experiences for people with and without Down syndrome. Our volunteer-led programs change attitudes, transform lives, and inspire a world of belonging. For more information please visit, https://www.palsprograms.org/what-we-do