|•||Job Seeker Tools|
|•||Your Saved Jobs|
|•||Build Your Professional Profile|
|Instructor, Computer Science Technology (Revised May 12, 2021)|
Company: Shelton State Community College
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL
Employment Type: Full Time
Date Posted: 05/04/2021
Expire Date: 06/04/2021
Job Categories: Education
Instructor, Computer Science Technology (Revised May 12, 2021) |
Please note: Applications and/or resumes submitted only through HBCUConnect.com or affiliated sites are insufficient to meet the application requirements for consideration for this position. You will not be considered for this position unless you fulfill all application requirements. Application requirements can be found below and on the official job posting at the following website: https://www.sheltonstate.edu/about-us/employment/full-time-openings/
Position closing date: All application packets must be received by the Office of Human Resources of Shelton State Community College by 5:00 p.m. on May 24, 2021, or if mailed, must be postmarked by said date.
Position: Instructor, Computer Science Technology
Position Summary: The Computer Science Technology Instructor advises students, provides quality classroom instruction, and maintains required scholastic records. The Instructor participates fully in institutional planning and assessment processes, management of the departmental curriculum, course scheduling, and department budget. The Instructor seeks continuous improvement of the computer science curricula, instruction, and use of resources.
Salary Range: $38,153 - $82,543 based upon the Alabama Community College System and Shelton State Community College Salary Schedule D-1 to be determined by the applicant’s education and years of applicable experience. Applicant acknowledges that if selected for the position that applicant’s placement on the applicable salary schedule will be dependent upon the verified information provided by the applicant in accordance with the applicable work experience verification requirements stated in the official job posting.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Demonstrate an understanding of and commitment to the mission and goals of the community college as well as the Computer Science Technology Department
• Demonstrate and maintain a high level of competence and expertise in the teaching field and subject area
• Teach courses as assigned by the Division Chair, and design and deliver each course ensuring an effective learning experience
• Submit to the Division Chair a course plan for each course taught in accordance with college guidelines
• Provide instruction for computer science courses in the day, evening, or online on any Shelton State campus or instructional site
• Implement effective and comprehensive use of current technology in all instructional areas
• Inform students concerning course requirements, evaluation procedures, attendance requirements, and academic progress
• Provide for effective evaluation of the learning experience of each student
• Maintain necessary attendance, scholastic, and personnel records and submit them according to announced deadlines
• Participate in annual planning and evaluation sessions in support of the College’s vision, mission, and institutional goals and objectives
• Demonstrate effective people skills, communication skills, and work ethic
• Participate in recruiting for the Computer Science Technology Department
• Assist the Division Chair with developing and managing the departmental budget and class schedule in support of institutional goals and mission
• Advise students regarding academic course offerings as assigned
• Demonstrate ability to use the computer effectively for word processing, electronic communication, maintaining online instructional resources, and for appropriate computer applications in the teaching discipline
• Seek continuous improvement of the computer science curricula, instruction, and resources
• Participate in college events and functions
• Post and maintain regular office hours in accordance with prevailing policy
• Comply with policies of the Alabama Community College System and the College
• Actively participate on division/college committees, teams, and task forces
• Participate in professional development, compliance, performance excellence, and training activities as required
• Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor
• Bachelor’s Degree in computer science from a regionally accredited institution
• Teaching experience at the College level or a minimum of three (3) years professional experience in network design and management, database administration, and/or programming experience using various languages
• Master’s Degree in computer science from a regionally accredited institution
• Coursework, experience, and evidence of ability to teach a range of college level computer science courses
• Experience in developing /teaching courses via distance learning technology
• A minimum of three (3) years professional work experience or full-time teaching experience at the college level involving one or more of the following fields:
a. Networking: Network design, support, installation, and knowledge of internet protocols;
b. Database Administration: Database administration, database design, administrative programming and scripting, and SQL coding;
Shelton State Community College employment announcements and applications are available at sheltonstate.edu or by contacting the Office of Human Resources at 205.391.2272 or hr @ sheltonstate.edu. The submission of a complete packet by the deadline is the sole responsibility of the applicant. No previous application files will be transferred for consideration of this position. No copies will be given of the application information submitted. Applicants must meet eligibility requirements to work in the U.S. at the time of appointment and must travel at their own expense.
A completed application packet consists of the following:
A cover letter of application specifically detailing and relating the applicant’s education, and experience to the qualifications, duties, and responsibilities of the position.
A hand signed Shelton State Community College employment application. Failure to hand sign the employment application will remove the applicant from consideration.
A current resume.
Copies of postsecondary transcript(s) identifying the applicant, institution, and verifying degree(s) earned that demonstrate that the applicant meets the minimum educational requirements for the position. If employed, official transcripts must be received in the Office of Human Resources prior to the employment start date.
Application materials may be mailed, emailed, or hand delivered to the following:
Office of Human Resources
Shelton State Community College
9500 Old Greensboro Road
Tuscaloosa, AL 35405
hr @ sheltonstate.edu
No faxed applications will be accepted. If you have questions, please call 205-391-2272.
IMPORTANT – PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
WORK EXPERIENCE VERIFICATION:
Meeting Minimum Requirements: If the requirements for a position list work experience in a field or area the Applicant must provide written verification(s) of their applicable work experience in order to be hired for the position. Such written verification(s) of work experience must demonstrate that the applicant meets the minimum work experience requirement. Applicants who do not produce this information as indicated will be ineligible for hire and subject to having any offer of employment withdrawn.
Salary Calculation: For all positions on all Salary Schedules, the salary amount for the selected applicant is determined by step placement on the applicable schedule. Step placement is dependent upon the following: (a) all work experience in public education in Alabama and (b) all other work experience outside of public education in Alabama that, in the sole judgment of the College, directly relates to the requirements of the position. The applicant selected for the position must provide written verification(s) of this work experience within the time provided herein if such experience is to be considered in determining their initial step place on the Salary Schedule.
Format for Work Experience Verifications: Work experience verifications should be in the form of verification letters from employers and must include complete employment dates, job title(s), job duties, and an indication whether such employment was full-time or part-time, and if part-time, the average number of hours worked each week. The letters should be on official letterhead and contain an authorized personnel signature. The College’s official employment verification form is also acceptable and is available upon request. If an employment verification cannot be obtained due to a legitimate reason, for purposes of meeting minimum requirements an applicant may submit copies of other trustworthy documentation such as appointment letters, contracts, pay stubs, or W-2 forms documenting the term of employment. However, such documentation is generally insufficient for salary calculation purposes if job duties are not self-evident in the documentation.
Deadline for Producing Work Experience Verification: With limited exception, work experience verification documentation must be produced prior to any official offer of employment. Work experience verification from a current employer may, upon request, be delayed until an official offer of employment. Any offer of employment at a salary step greater than zero (0), or made without prior verification of any required work experience, is contingent upon production of this documentation by the applicant within ten (10) days of the offer.
It is the applicant’s sole responsibility to provide this verification of work experience. The College is not responsible for any cost associated with such verifications.
Bachelor’ Degree in computer science from a regionally accredited institution
Teaching experience at the College level or a minimum of three (3) years professional experience in network design and management, database administration, and/or programming experience using various languages