Company: Afterschool Alliance
Location: Washington, DC
Employment Type: Full Time
Date Posted: 05/04/2021
Expire Date: 07/04/2021
Job Categories: Administrative and Support Services, Advertising/Marketing/Public Relations, Education, Other, Nonprofit and Volunteer Services, Writing/Authoring
Communications Associate |
We are seeking a Communications Associate to support our mission to provide kids equal
access to afterschool and summer programs, to help them learn and grow, and provide working
families with peace of mind. We’ve worked to ensure 7.8 million children have fun, engaging
programs after school, but there are 25 million more children waiting to get in a program.
The ideal candidate must have superb writing and editing skills, experience with video
production and coordinating efforts across teams, and a passion for communications that
motivate others to act and engage.
Major Roles + Responsibilities
● Developing and implementing digital advocacy and communications strategies
● Crafting messages that resonate with various audiences, policymakers, and partners
● Maintaining the organization's social media presence (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, and Instagram) and using social media to broaden reach and engage target audience
● Updating sections of www.afterschoolalliance.org on a regular basis and making suggestions for improvements/additions
● Contributing to the strategy, coordination, and execution of webinars and virtual events. Responsible for managing the Alliance’s webinar backend, system proficiency, and improving technical capacity.
● Help execute communications and publicity campaigns around key reports and initiatives to ensure that our work both reaches and resonates with target audiences (policymakers, afterschool and summer program leaders, advocates)
● Create (or manage the creation of) concise, accurate, and compelling content, both written and visual
● Serve as the final check for proofing and copy editing of reports, publications, and other materials
● Collecting communications metrics on website, blogs, and social media and reporting analytics to Communications team
The Afterschool Alliance offers a well-balanced work environment with a
supportive and growing team and opportunities for advancement. Candidates should have:
● Strong writing, editing, and proofing skills; eye for graphic presentation of data and key points
● Experience writing for social media, website, blog, and email
● Experience producing video, particularly using either Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere
● Demonstrated skills in storytelling and creativity; good sense of how tell the story expressed in the data or content and suggest the best options for conveying that story
● Experience putting together (or assisting with) a dynamic in-person or virtual event
This position could be a good fit for you if..
● You like to write, and you’re good at it. You have experience turning fuzzy or complex writing into clear, concise, relatable communications and a strong sense of how to use visuals to make key points jump out at the audiences and communications more compelling while staying true to the data.
● You appreciate working in a small, nimble team.
● You are flexible, not afraid to raise ideas or questions, and are comfortable asking for help or clarity.
● You’re willing to pitch in and help wherever needed to support the organization.
● You have an eye for detail and take pride in your ability to turn off outside distractions or pressures to focus on eliminating typos and creating the clearest communications possible.
● You love social media and analyzing the data behind it to make the most of the platform
● You enjoy weaving together all of the parts required to pull off a dynamic event
● You believe deeply in our mission.
Hours per week: 40 hrs
Employment type: full time, regular