|Senior Communications Manager|
Company: Pacific Environment
Location: San Francisco, CA
Employment Type: Full Time
Date Posted: 05/17/2021
Expire Date: 07/17/2021
Job Categories: Broadcasting/Public Communications
Senior Communications Manager|
Pacific Environment seeks to protect communities and wildlife of the Pacific Rim. We support community leaders to fight climate change, protect the oceans, build just societies, and move away from fossil fuels toward a green economy. Learn more at www.pacificenvironment.org.
Pacific Environment is campaigning to end fossil fuel use, including to get ships off fossil fuels. Our strategies include creating strong regulatory frameworks to achieve zero-emission shipping in a timeline commensurate with the climate emergency, pressuring corporate customers to demand zero-emission ships, and influencing ports on the Pacific West Coast and beyond to end fossil fuel build out and ready themselves for zero-emission shipping instead.
The Senior Communications Manager will lead communications for campaigns on climate, zero-emission shipping, and protection of Arctic peoples and wildlife. The Manager will create and implement communication strategies for campaigns, reports, events, and key advocacy moments. They will manage and grow media relationships and successfully place stories in traditional media, and will produce and manage traditional media content for press releases, op-eds, social media, multimedia, etc. The Manager will also supervise the work of a digital communications colleague.
The ideal candidate will have a strong record of effective communications to advance advocacy campaigns, strong content production and digital advocacy skills, an urgency to defeat the champions of fossil fuel use, a passion for protecting communities and wildlife, and a commitment to environmental justice and equity.
Location and Travel
The position is based in the United States, with a strong preference for San Francisco, California. The position will likely involve some domestic and international travel (only when safe and allowable regarding Covid-19 conditions).
• 5 or more years of relevant experience in communications work, with increasing responsibilities, including communications planning, implementation, and campaign management
• A record of accomplishment of successfully influencing public debate on complex issues and effectively managing organizational public image
• Substantial experience with traditional media and strong familiarity with digital communications
• Experience managing communications colleagues effectively
• Excellent written communications skills in English (and please let us know if you speak other languages—we’re interested).
• Highly organized and able to manage multiple projects without sacrificing quality.
• Experience with intersectional advocacy work on issues of race, class, and gender.
Compensation and Benefits
Pacific Environment provides compensation commensurate with experience and equitable with others on our team, plus a full benefits package. The salary range for this position is $64,000-$77,000, which is carefully considered to account for equity. The employee will enjoy a flexible working environment with a dedicated, diverse group of colleagues.
Send cover letter, resume, three references, and an answer to the following question by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Sr. Communications Manager” in the subject line
• QUESTION: In 250 words, explain the communications tactics that would be most effective in moving giant American retail companies to zero-emission shipping.
Applications encouraged by May 24, 2021. The position will remain open until filled, and we encourage even late applications.
Pacific Environment is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and believe that creating teams in which everyone can be their authentic self is key to the change we seek. We encourage people from communities harmed by environmental degradation and from backgrounds underrepresented in the environmental movement to apply.
No phone calls, please.