|Director Institutional Partnerships - California|
Company: Accion Opportunity Fund
Location: San Jose, CA
Employment Type: Full Time
Date Posted: 06/15/2021
Expire Date: 08/15/2021
Job Categories: Development and Fund Raising
Director Institutional Partnerships - California|
Accion Opportunity Fund is seeking a highly qualified, highly motivated, Senior Director, Institutional
Partnerships to grow contributed revenue from foundation, corporate, and government sources.
Reporting to the Vice President for Partnerships and Development, the Senior Director of Development,
Institutional Partnerships will oversee institutional fundraising, including developing strategies and
projections; strengthening existing funding relationships; identifying and cultivating new prospects;
collaborating with the Institutional Giving Manager in the production of grant proposals and reports; and
conducting other cultivation and solicitation activities as required for institutional donors. Working
collaboratively within the development team and across the organization, the Senior Director for
Institutional Partnerships will partner with the Institutional Giving Manager to ensure timely and accurate
management of all institutional grants, sponsorships, and related requirements.
The ideal candidate will have experience working with a range of foundation, corporate, and government
funders. The candidate will have outstanding relationship development expertise, excellent
communication skills, both written and verbal, and the ability to convey complex, strategic information in a compelling, straight-forward voice to both internal and external audiences. The candidate must have
excellent organization and time management skills and have strong attention to detail. The ideal
candidate should enjoy working directly with funders, executive leadership, program staff, and board
members to support fundraising activities.
This position will create and convey the case for support, with an eye toward California funders, lead
local development outreach and engagement, foster a philanthropic community of support throughout
the region, and drive host and sponsor recruitment for regional events. The candidate should thrive in an
entrepreneurial environment, be a great team player, excel at working independently, and be
enthusiastic about furthering Accion Opportunity Fund’s mission.
• Develop and execute a strategic fundraising plan to identify and target institutional funders to
raise programmatic, operating, and sponsorship support.
• Lead all aspects of identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship for a portfolio of
approximately 50 to 100 institutional funders and prospects, with capacities to invest a minimum
of $50. This work will include leading the development of oral and written presentations as
• Serve as lead relationship director for majority of institutional funders; support executive
leadership team and board who serve as lead relationship managers for the balance of the
• Collaborate with Development and Marketing colleagues to develop sponsorships and other
opportunities to highlight institutional partnerships.
• Work with Program and Finance staff to ensure compliance with all grant restrictions and
reporting requirements, and to gather information necessary for grant reports.
• Support Executive Leadership with relationship management of institutional donors and
prospects, as needed.
• Participate in the annual budget process to project contributed income and related expenses,
and monitor/report on fundraising pipeline and results.
• In close coordination with the Chief Development Officer and VP for Partnerships and
Development, establish and achieve or exceed fundraising goals/objectives in support of the
budgeted Development plan.
• Position can be remote, with a preference for a California location. Donor and prospect travel will
be focused primarily in California, particularly San Jose, Los Angeles, and San Francisco.
Highly qualified candidates will share Accion Opportunity Fund’s commitment to its mission and will
embody the organization’s core values bringing a broad range of skills and experience including, but
not limited to:
• Demonstrated ability to transform transactional relationships into true partnerships built on the
delivery of mutual value and shared community support goals.
• Demonstrated knowledge of cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies and techniques
related to foundation, corporate, and government fundraising. • Demonstrated record of success in generating significant commitments from corporations and
foundations through grants and sponsorships.
• Ability to interact effectively with Board Members, donors, and staff at all levels.
• Strong analytical and critical thinking skills, and the ability to recognize and resolve problems
• Demonstrated project management skills; ability to work independently and successfully manage
multiple projects with competing deadlines; excellent attention to detail.
• Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and networking skills; ability to initiate and build
relationships with prospective corporate and foundation donors and institutional
• Superior written and interpersonal communication skills; ability to write and communicate clear,
structured, articulate, and persuasive proposals; comfort using data to create strategic and
• Familiarity with financial information, including ability to create and/or evaluate grant budgets.
• Excellent skills in MS Office, financial projections, and public speaking.
• Familiarity with managing donor database records, preferably in Salesforce.
• Strong contributor within a team environment.
• Creativity, energy, initiative, and good humor are essential.
• Enthusiasm for Accion Opportunity Fund’s mission of helping working people advance their
• Experience working in a fast-paced, results-oriented environment and demonstrated flexibility in
meeting shifting demands and priorities.
• Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university required.
• 5+ years of foundation and/or corporate fundraising experience, including grant writing and
• Ability to travel including occasional evening or weekend events.
• Graduate degree preferred.
• Knowledge and interest in the fields of financial health, financial inclusion, microfinance and
• Salesforce Donor Database experience
Contact Name: Magda Ibrahim
Company Name: Accion Opportunity Fund
Small businesses uplift communities and anchor local economies, while creating opportunities for themselves, their families, their employees, and our neighborhoods. Yet entrepreneurs who are people of color, women, and immigrants often struggle to secure capital and resources, as they are systematically shut out from traditional financing. Accion Opportunity Fund is an unparalleled financial support system that provides these small business owners with access to capital, networks, and coaching. We work to build inclusive and accessible options for these determined business owners. For over 25 years we have served a client base that is nearly 90% women, people of color, or immigrants. In addition to providing resources and loans to small businesses, we also conduct original research, advocate for policy changes, and finance community construction projects in low-income neighborhoods through our New Markets Tax Credit program. Together, we are building a diverse, vibrant community where opportunity, knowledge, and access to capital are within reach. For more information about us, visit https://aofund.org/